Ty Mongomery

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I like him. Don't know how far he falls in the draft. If I was a team in need of a receiver I would take him with one of my day 2 picks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Montgomery is really more of a day three kind of guy.

Honestly, I doubt Seattle has a lot of interest in him. The prospects in the 60-120 range for WRs is pretty thick. And Seattle generally tends to get pretty exotic in the 5th and 6th rounds. Areas where I'd expect Montgomery to go.

It didn't help that he measured under 6' at the combine. He's a shorter prospect, with no length (31" arms). From a measurables standpoint, he's pretty average. Good leaping ability. But he's not a terribly reliable target. Not a distinguished pass route artist.

There really isn't anything special about him -- and the lack of athletic tools kinds of puts him behind in a crowded class. Should be available in the 5th round -- but by then I'm guessing Seattle will be moved on to the more athletic project types.

He seems more like a candidate for franchises who go after name starters on big schools late. Seattle doesn't do that often. And when they do, it's with guys that have intriguing physical attributes. Montgomery doesn't show that. It is possible we'll take a late round WR -- but it'll likely be a guy few are following.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like Tate.

Montgomery...
6'0, 221
31 in Arms, 10.125 in Hands

Tate
5'10, 199
30.5 in Arms, 9.25 in Hands

Mont is has about 2 inches in HT and 1.5 inch in Arm/Hand length over Tate.

Montgomery
10: 1.59s
20: 2.64s
40: 4.55s

Tate:
10: 1.54s
40: 4.42s

Tate wins the speed battle but the numbers probably flip-flop with Tate at 220 and Mont at 200. We are talking about 22 pound difference.

Montgomery:
BJ: 10'01
VJ: 40.5 in
3C: 6.97s
SH: 4.21s

Tate:
BJ: 10 ft
VJ: 35 in
3C: 7.12s
SH: 4.34s

And despite that 22 LB diffete, Mont still put up better numbers in the other tests which means despite his size Mont is as, if not more explosive and agile over Tate.

If Mont is sitting there in the 4th round at the Saints pick, I'm sure he would be in consideration. The guy will get a year or two to polish his WR game just like Tate did. But he would fill an immediate need at PR/KR.

Tical21

Reaction score
I always thought he jumped off the screen. Built really well, battles for the ball, and most importantly for us, electric in the open field. I think he's going to be a good returner and have some bright spots as a receiver wherever he ends up. Wasn't Odell Beckham Jr. pretty much a middle of the pack measurables guy? How about AJ Green? I'm not in any way saying Montgomery is on that level, but raw measurables mean just about zero to me at most positions. Joe Haden ran 4.57 and he's one of the elite corners in the game.

kearly

Reaction score
He crushed UW in that one game, but I wasn't feeling the hype personally. Even before I knew his forty time, I knew that he was college fast, but not pro fast. I think he is less of a WR than Shaq Thompson is a RB.

But in the 5th round though? Sure, what the hell. Not a bad value for a guy who could fit several roles on ST and maybe develop into a #4 WR.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I am sure Montgomery is a great guy, but he cannot catch a cold.

jimbojones31

Reaction score
I'm not a fan. I remember one game I watched (Notre Dame?) where he had 2 or 3 really ugly drops. It was wet, yes, but rain is not unheard of in Seattle. I want someone surer handed in those circumstances. Also if you're a low volume offense you can't live with a poor drop rate (see Jermaine Kearse).