Who might be available at #63 and #94

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I've put together a quick little spreadsheet, creating a composite of player rankings from drafttek and CBS sports. If anyone has other draft prospect ranking sites, let me know, I'll add them as well as it would smooth out the rankings considerably.

Just trying to get a general idea of the kinds of prospects that could be available and when. I've decided to include players who fall within -10 to +20 of our actual draft pick. Give sort of a "this guy fell some" v. half round reach kind of range of players.

Here are prospects at #63:

52.5 Alex Carter Stanford CB
52.5 Ameer Abdullah Nebraska RBC
54.5 Tevin Coleman Indiana RBF
55.5 Laken Tomlinson Duke OG
56 Mario Edwards Jr Florida St DE43
57 Reese Dismukes Auburn OC
58 Paul Dawson TCU ILB
59.5 Devin Funchess Michigan TE
60 Breshad Perriman Central Florida WRF
60.5 Xavier Cooper Washington St DE34
61 Duke Johnson Miami (FL) RBF
61.5 Rashad Greene Florida St WRF
63.5 Jay Ajayi Boise St RBF
64.5 Clive Walford Miami (FL) TE
70 Tyler Lockett Kansas St WRS
70 Preston Smith Mississippi St DE43
70.5 Hau'oli Kikaha Washington OLB34
72.5 Ronald Darby Florida St CB
74.5 Anthony Harris Virginia SS
74.5 Stephone Anthony Clemson ILB
75.5 Tre' Jackson Florida St OG
76 Phillip Dorsett Miami (FL) WRS
76 P.J. Williams Florida St CB
77 Ali Marpet Hobart OG
78 Donovan Smith Penn St ROT
78 Hroniss Grasu Oregon OC
79 Byron Jones Connecticut CB
79.5 Jeremy Langford Michigan St RBF
80 Denzel Perryman Miami (FL) ILB
81.5 Cody Prewitt Ole Miss FS

Obviously draft site rankings are subjective. Some not even kept up to date. I'd love to add as many sources as possible.

But as we get further away from R1, personal bias tends to overvalue a guy who is more of a 5th round prospect as a 'we have to take him in round 3 or there's no chance we get him' kind of thing. Additionally, it may help to see who your personal favorites may compete with when it comes time to burn an early 4th round pick on a guy you love but you may find that you also love someone else actually rated in that range.

Here are the prospects in the same range at #94

85 David Johnson Northern Iowa RBF
87 T.J. Yeldon Alabama RBF
87 Arie Kouandjio Alabama OG
88 Lorenzo Mauldin Louisville OLB34
91 Josh Shaw USC CB
91.5 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu Oregon CB
91.5 Jesse James Penn St TE
92 Grady Jarrett Clemson DT43
92.5 Rob Havenstein Wisconsin ROT
94.5 Henry Anderson Stanford DE34
94.5 Trey Flowers Arkansas OLB34
99 Gabe Wright Auburn DT43
99 Gerod Holliman Louisville FS
99 Ty Sambrailo Colorado St LOT
99.5 Kwon Alexander LSU OLB43
100 Derron Smith Fresno St FS
101 Bryce Petty Baylor QB
104 Anthony Chickillo Miami (FL) DE43
107 Jacoby Glenn Central Florida CB
108 Mitch Morse Missouri LOT
108.5 Steve Nelson Oregon St CB
111 Tony Lippett Michigan St WRF
111 Ben Koyack Notre Dame TE
111.5 Markus Golden Missouri DE43
114 Za'Darius Smith Kentucky DE34

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great list man. Appreciate the thread. I'm still processing the Graham trade and seeing what more the front office does in FA to get a better fell for what I hope they do, but I like seeing this laid out this way so we can discuss these players within reasoning but hopefully we can also discuss these players with the idea while they may not be the best value at 63 and 94 there's every chance we trade up or down from those spots.

It may be asking a lot but could you add the position to each player? For research purposes its easier to concentrate on players who are in the 2nd/3rd rd range that make the most sense because it's a position of need and not a QB or MLB for example. I know most these players, but for others it may help.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
oh man... if we were to land phillip dorsett, gameover. with his ability to seperate from defenders and his return ability, our offense would become unstoppable. finishing in the top 3 in dvoa would almost be a certainty and our return game would have life again. i think your sources are severely underrating him... we would most likely have to trade up to around pick #45-50 to nab him :?

[youtube]JZatnTkhT8Q[/youtube]

we have more important needs, OL and DL, but a gamebreaker like that at #63 would be to hard to pass up. he's not on your list but if sammy coates falls (and i think he will), he would be a a steal too. rashad greene is a solid, cerebral receiver, he just doesnt do anything well... he did well after the catch at fsu, but hes not all that explosive. some people compare greene to golden tate, but he doesnt have tates running back size nor does he have his jump ball ability.

kearly

Reaction score
Dorsett looks Golden-Tate-ish. Definitely a playmaker with some rare qualities. Probably going to be higher on Seattle's WR board than a lot of other teams.

Not saying he's a player to watch, but I think Seattle really missed Golden Tate last season and will probably be taking long looks at Golden Tate types in this draft.

cheese22

Reaction score
Probably the biggest difference between the last two seasons was the return game. Two seasons ago our special teams were a weapon, last year they were a detriment, namely the return game.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":dt4flgsu said:
oh man... if we were to land phillip dorsett, gameover. with his ability to seperate from defenders and his return ability, our offense would become unstoppable. finishing in the top 3 in dvoa would almost be a certainty and our return game would have life again. i think your sources are severely underrating him... we would most likely have to trade up to around pick #45-50 to nab him :?

You could well be right. But something that I've noticed, whether it's here, other fan forums or mock drafts -- is that we all tend to have our favorites. As such, we generally overvalue them consistently. Last year's Brandon Coleman being an embarrassing and crazy example. But there are always others. Many others. Every year. Tiny Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio are others. Is this year Devin Funchess and Sammie Coates?

The purpose of this exercise, was merely to give a more macro level view of expected talent relative to picks. Most often times, we love more than one player for a single pick. But generally, we have favorites. And we think our favorites should be everyone else's favorites too. But that's not how it works. It's easy to forget who else could be in play for that pick. And what if a better player you presume to be gone -- is actually more or less a possibility as an alternative? Is moving up to take Phillip Dorsett at 45-50 worth it, when in so doing whatever team could be pushing Breshad Perriman down to 63 as a result?

We in Seattle are favoring WRs and OL talent this year. It's natural bias. So we're going to overvalue it.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seems we over value Stanford DBs around here because of Sherms success.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1940mhtl said:
Dorsett looks Golden-Tate-ish. Definitely a playmaker with some rare qualities. Probably going to be higher on Seattle's WR board than a lot of other teams.

Not saying he's a player to watch, but I think Seattle really missed Golden Tate last season and will probably be taking long looks at Golden Tate types in this draft.

Deandre Smelter gives me Golden Tate vibes too. Especially the plays at the 0:40 and 1:05 marks.

[youtube]o4F9XJ0Wua0[/youtube]

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Very high on Smelter as well. He is a total redshirt candidate as he'll miss pretty much the whole season. But he looks special.

penihawk

Reaction score
15 WR's were off the board in the first 3 rounds of last years draft. With all the rookie production and a whole slew of older FA & cap casualties sitting out there, I'm guessing we will see another 10 or 12 go before we pick at 63 this year. I think 63 is a tough spot to be in to get the WR/returner that could be productive as a rookie so I think its sacrifice some picks to move up or go OL/DL with 63.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hope JS and staff have unearthed some more gems in these middle rounds. Heck we have a bunch of 4ths. I just have to wonder if he will package a few to move up and grab someone they are in love with.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":bvn18f0d said:
I hope JS and staff have unearthed some more gems in these middle rounds. Heck we have a bunch of 4ths. I just have to wonder if he will package a few to move up and grab someone they are in love with.

I expect this is where you'll see us spend those 5th/6th round picks. The last few drafts, this is where Seattle has gotten pretty exotic with their selections.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
There is a #82, #83 & #84 gap between your two examples. A player that many have talked about fits in that gap & IMO, should at least be in the conversation as a 2-nd 3-rd round pick. WR-Tre McBride, whose profile was recently updated, at cbssports.com. Between Dorsett, Lockett and McBride, I'm starting to favor McBride as a 2 bird / 1 stone option. If there at pick #63, I think he could be a Seahawk.

Tre McBride (ranked #84 at cbssports.com) and Lockett(78), Dorsett(81) are all ranked as round 2 or 3 per cbssports.com. I think any would do well as a Seahawk. I like them all, but I've just found stats I couldn't otherwise find on McBride. It has been said that he is a kick returner, but William & Mary stats are hard to find. Here is a blurb on McBride that supports the fact that he can be a kick returner as well as a WR. From cbssports.com profile..........

""Solidly built throughout with an athletic frame and good muscle definition for the position. Adequate body strength to shake off arm tackles and run through contact. Smooth release and gets into his route quickly, showing the quarterback his numbers to present a good-sized target. Smooth athleticism and quickness out of his breaks with sharp footwork to gear up naturally. Gets good depth and takes advantage of coverages, hiding and selling his path. Nice job finding soft zones and has some shake after the catch. Excellent tracking skills, using his body to gain position and attack with his soft hands. Knows where the sticks are with terrific field awareness before and after the catch. Experienced lining up inside and outside. Extensive special teams experience as both a kick returner (23.1 average) and punt returner (11.1) over his career. Tough and intelligent on the field and off ? was recruited by Harvard for academics out of high school. Accountable and responsible personality, coming from a military family ?""

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3vl53znj said:
There is a #82, #83 & #84 gap between your two examples. A player that many have talked about fits in that gap & IMO, should at least be in the conversation as a 2-nd 3-rd round pick. WR-Tre McBride, whose profile was recently updated, at cbssports.com. Between Dorsett, Lockett and McBride, I'm starting to favor McBride as a 2 bird / 1 stone option. If there at pick #63, I think he could be a Seahawk.

This list was a composite of 2 separate rankings. So there should be gaps in there. Some sources view players much differently.

McBride is seen as the 84th best prospect by CBS Sports. By Drafttek, he's rated 159th.

I agree entirely on your take of McBride. I've been bullish on him for some time. Not for his measurables -- but for his footwork, ability to get clean off the line, and his ball skills (ability to adjust his body in air, ability to be the first player to adjust his route/positioning to errant balls and his ability to cleanly attack the ball without double catching them). He was a player I assumed was in the 6'2" to 6'4" range judging by his physique and ability to always beat opponents to high/underthrown passes.

I was absolutely shocked he measured only 6'. Because he plays so much bigger than that on tape.

His killing of the combine from a SPARQ perspective has only fueled that opinion even more.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":21rilqfh said:
CamanoIslandJQ":21rilqfh said:

I was absolutely shocked he measured only 6'. Because he plays so much bigger than that on tape.

I've read similar comments about McBride from a few people. It is a bit of a red flag for me. Is he really playing bigger than he's size or is he looking better because he's going against weaker (and smaller) competition?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not sure I want to use our 1st pick on a small school prospect. Using a 4th for McBride makes more sense for us.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wonder if Smith falls a little bit if they try to move up. Seems like the one piece the offense needs is a guy who can get over the top.

titan3131

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3bwe5twc said:
Not sure I want to use our 1st pick on a small school prospect. Using a 4th for McBride makes more sense for us.

This is exactly what we did last year...