Tony Pauline draft thoughts on the Seahawks

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
That was great. Hearing one of the best in the game talk only Seahawks draft was refreshing. Good job Rob.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3aqsn1uj said:
For some reason I can't get the audio to work.

Keep refreshing -- seems to be a slight issue with audioboom tonight. Eventually it will work.

kearly

Reaction score
Pauline is used by teams to spread false info every year, but he also has some legit stuff. Regardless, he is the best reporter by far during draft season. A must follow.

*clicks link*

Holy shit Rob. Nice get.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Is it just me or does listening to Pauline sound like Hawkeye (Alan Alda) is talking Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the notion that Seattle is in a win now mode is kinda off base, what team with a good young QB is truly in win now mode? Denver is, the grim reaper is chasing their QB. They gotta win now. Seattle? There is no reason to go all in on a 2015 season at the expense of the future, which defines "win now" to me.

Love the draft insights. In looking at Fisher (oregon), I paid attention to the center as well. With how much we play from the gun now, I can see him being penciled in for us.

Devin Smith is a Seahawky pick. Tyler Lockett? I don't know.

Nice interview. I appreciate the work you put into your blog.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":104wub3o said:
I think the notion that Seattle is in a win now mode is kinda off base, what team with a good young QB is truly in win now mode? Denver is, the grim reaper is chasing their QB. They gotta win now. Seattle? There is no reason to go all in on a 2015 season at the expense of the future, which defines "win now" to me.

Love the draft insights. In looking at Fisher (oregon), I paid attention to the center as well. With how much we play from the gun now, I can see him being penciled in for us.

Devin Smith is a Seahawky pick. Tyler Lockett? I don't know.

Nice interview. I appreciate the work you put into your blog.

Took the words right out of my mouth. On everything you said.

What can I say, reporters are paid to report, not to flex critical thinking skills. The narrative is that Seattle will hit a wall when they have to pay their players because Baltimore hit a wall for paying Flacco. Well guess what, the players Baltimore lost weren't actually all that great, and after one weird off year, they bounced back. They held a 14 point lead over the eventual SB winner twice in their playoff game last year, and they are arguably the favorite to win the AFC in 2015.

The Baltimore premise is highly flawed to begin with, and to apply it to the NFL's best roster and best talent evaluation duo is just dumb. A moment's thought could dispel the notion. Especially when considering the era of cap expansion the NFL is in right now, which plays to the advantage of spend heavy teams.

And as you mention, Seattle is still a young team with one of the youngest franchise QBs.

But I don't hold it against Pauline for parroting this. He's a busy guy that covers 32 teams.

I agree with you that Seattle's presence at Oregon's pro-pay had a lot to do with Fisher and Grasu. Fisher isn't a perfect prospect, which is part of the reason he fits Seattle's MO like a glove. Grasu is a good fit as well.

I'm guessing that WR will only be a consideration early if that player can be a deep ball ace and have ST value. Devin Smith is not only the best deep ball guy and a great returner, but he has the kind of profile that meshes perfectly with Seattle's past history at the position. I just think the only way he ends up in Seattle is if he slides considerably and then Seattle trades up quite a bit to get him.

I can only find highlights of Tyler Lockett, but he looks very Seahawky as well. Great body control, balance, and YAC ability. Good return man. Good on the deep ball. Probably more realistic at #63.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I can see where next year or the year after could be a bit more challenging due to cap issues after having signed so many core players. Still, John, Pete and their staffs have clearly planned well and should be able to ride it out as well or better than any team.

And having a "down" season every once in a while isn't all bad because it leads to better draft capital the following year.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
sc85sis":tyyshu6t said:
I can see where next year or the year after could be a bit more challenging due to cap issues after having signed so many core players.

This is no doubt true, but it is also worth bearing in mind that not all of those core guys will stick around beyond a year the next one or two years. I can't see Marshawn, Bennett and possibly even Kam being here 3 years from now. The cap looks like it will continue to rise as well.