David Hsu: Seahawks might trade up for DGB

titan3131

Reaction score
im not against it.

What do you guys specifically think it would take to move up to get him.

netskier

Reaction score
Makes sense to me, provided that their research reveals that he is somewhat unreliable in his personal life at worst, but is definitely NOT a cancer.

McGruff

Reaction score
He's being mocked anywhere from 15 to 45, so its either going to take next year's first or this year's 2nd and 3rd, depending on how far he falls.

McGruff

Reaction score
Best frame of reference is last year when the Eagles traded from #54 to #42 for Jordan Matthews, giving up a 4th round pick to do it.

In 2013 the Vikings moved from #52 to #29 by giving up a 3rd, 4th and 7th.

Its going to really depend on how much the character stuff effects his stock.

netskier

Reaction score
While I don't think we need him, I think we would benefit from him tremendously. Huge upside, far above Chris Matthews who is our fallback.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":3jmbdtn0 said:
He's being mocked anywhere from 15 to 45, so its either going to take next year's first or this year's 2nd and 3rd, depending on how far he falls.

This is what scares me, and why I just have to trust JS, who isn't in the habit of over paying for anything.

DGB could go halfway through the 1st round. It just takes one team falling in love with him, and not wanting someone else to get him.

I have to assume they have a plan in place if DGB falls into the 2nd round. I'm really against going back into the 1st for this kid. First off, he can't keep himself out of trouble off of the field. Secondly, he's not good at running routes. Who knows how long it will take for him to digest an NFL offense ? And is it really worth a 1st round pick for a kid you're going to tell "hey, just run over to this spot and we'll lob it to you" ? Now add to that fact that our QB ad libs a lot and you have to not only know your assignments, but when, where and how to break them off to bail out your QB. Personally, I feel it's a lot to ask of a kid with questionable football intelligence.

Breshad Perriman isn't as big (6'2") but he just ran a 4.2 forty at his Pro Day. He's still probably not going in the 1st round due to questionable hands. You gotta be able to catch a ball no matter how fast you are.

If you want almost a clone of DBG, go with Waller from GTech. He's a bit faster than DGB, almost the same size, and is reputed to have a great work ethic. He has limited targets and GTech has a simplistic route tree as they run so much (sound familiar?). He's raw, but so is DGB.

Maybe draftniks can help me here, is DGB more highly considered than Waller due to more tape from 2 years ago ? They seem athletically very similar, and both are raw prospects. Just wondering why one guy is being mocked in rounds 5-6, and one guy is being mocked in rounds 1-2.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of DGB for all the character reasons, but comparing him to Waller is like comparing Randy Moss to Kris Durham.

DGB is a far better route runner, much shiftier after the catch, and has the most natural hands in this draft. Its rare that a 6-5 man can move like he moves with the football, and while I can't speak to a developed route tree from him, he's has nice deceptive moves in route to gain separation.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":5r77i0vy said:
McGruff":5r77i0vy said:

This is what scares me, and why I just have to trust JS, who isn't in the habit of over paying for anything.

DGB could go halfway through the 1st round. It just takes one team falling in love with him, and not wanting someone else to get him.

I have to assume they have a plan in place if DGB falls into the 2nd round. I'm really against going back into the 1st for this kid. First off, he can't keep himself out of trouble off of the field. Secondly, he's not good at running routes. Who knows how long it will take for him to digest an NFL offense ? And is it really worth a 1st round pick for a kid you're going to tell "hey, just run over to this spot and we'll lob it to you" ? Now add to that fact that our QB ad libs a lot and you have to not only know your assignments, but when, where and how to break them off to bail out your QB. Personally, I feel it's a lot to ask of a kid with questionable football intelligence.

Breshad Perriman isn't as big (6'2") but he just ran a 4.2 forty at his Pro Day. He's still probably not going in the 1st round due to questionable hands. You gotta be able to catch a ball no matter how fast you are.

If you want almost a clone of DBG, go with Waller from GTech. He's a bit faster than DGB, almost the same size, and is reputed to have a great work ethic. He has limited targets and GTech has a simplistic route tree as they run so much (sound familiar?). He's raw, but so is DGB.

Maybe draftniks can help me here, is DGB more highly considered than Waller due to more tape from 2 years ago ? They seem athletically very similar, and both are raw prospects. Just wondering why one guy is being mocked in rounds 5-6, and one guy is being mocked in rounds 1-2.

To put it simply, DGB is a more natural receiver who consistently utilizes his athletic ability better. Waller doesn't always play to his combine testing numbers.

In terms of being "raw", both need to develop the technical part of the position, but I don't see Waller having develop yet the backyard-football skills that great receivers natural play with. I'm talking about the soft hands, timing of his jumps, using his body at the point of the catch, shiftiness with the ball in his hands. DGB flashed that skill a ton at Missouri.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Would make sense. After the Jimmy Graham trade, there were reports that the Seahawks had been targeting a WR with their 1st rounder and that DGB was one of the options they wanted.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure glad we grabbed Taylor Mays like everyone said we would. We may go WR, but John and Pete don't want the price to move up to get inflated, they value picks to much. I say the Taylor Mays thing due to how we grabbed Thomas when everyone was banking on us getting Mays. Really screwed with a lot of teams drafts.

getnasty

Reaction score
If there were no character concerns he's probably a top 10 pick, so I have zero problem with trading to get him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":2ys7r5tt said:
Best frame of reference is last year when the Eagles traded from #54 to #42 for Jordan Matthews, giving up a 4th round pick to do it..

This is exactly the scenario I can envision on this.

Of course it all blows up if DGB goes mid round 1 too

Donk70

Reaction score
We'll have to trade up to the top 10 to get him, I'm afraid. However, I'd be willing to give this year's 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st to get him. And even that may not be enough.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Donk70":y00aa8pp said:
We'll have to trade up to the top 10 to get him, I'm afraid. However, I'd be willing to give this year's 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st to get him. And even that may not be enough.

Top 10? I have not seen any mock with DGB in the top 10. Most / all mocks seem to unanimously mock DGB no earlier than pick 20 in the first round. Not a chance I would give up a 3rd and 1st next year to get him.

massari

Reaction score
Donk70":wycvsycw said:

No way I give up that much to get him and he isn't expected to go top 10. He isn't Randy Moss or Calvin like some say, he's probably closer to Plaxico Burress.

garrylt4

Reaction score
If I was to mortgage the farm for anyone this year it would be Kevin White WVU Wr. I know I'm a Homer but trust me he is a Stud.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Donk70":19dm7omr said:

not a chance of that happening. i doubt he is in the top 45 picks, mainly due to his off-field issues. he seems like a ticking time bomb when you watch him try to talk. completing a sentence for him is a difficult thing.

he hasnt played in over a year. would take 1-2 seasons before anyone could expect contributions. he has small hands, has a poor vertical jump, runs poor routes, doesnt seperate enough, and average hands. so, aside from his 6'5" frame at 4.5ish speed, dgb doesnt have much to offer.

much rather have either

[youtube]QW0qBVVND-U[/youtube]

or (my fav)

[youtube]JZatnTkhT8Q[/youtube]

but still wouldnt trade all of
this year's 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st

to get either

Largent80

Reaction score
I see no reason to spend draft capitol on this guy unless he is close to where we pick in the 2nd and another team is zeroing in on him.

titan3131

Reaction score
I bet this is a smoke screen just like with taylor mays / Earl thomas.

I say we jump up and grab perriman in the 2nd. I like dorsett in theory but im tired of all these short guys, and we already have a "burner" with average size in richardson.

Perriman has 6"2 height, ELITE SPEED, tracks the ball well, YAC MONSTER POTENTIAL.

im so high on this guy