At this point where are the top priorities for the draft?

LTH

Reaction score
I still think its OL

your thoughts

LTH

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Difference making WR
OG
OC

The depth of the draft at the interior line position really lends to the idea that Seattle will target this in R4/R5. There is just a huge glut of talent for OGs. More than half of the OT prospects are seen more as OGs at the next level. They will dominate the first couple rounds of the draft.

Not every team is looking at OG. So by the third round, the number of suitors for talent is going to be thinned out.

Similarly, the WR depth is going to allow prospects to drop. It's conceivable that there will be teams that opt to target secondary needs, in the expectation that they'll still be able to improve at WR in R2/R3.

Deep drafts can be very quirky. 2012 was a very deep edge rusher draft. It's a prime position usually overdrafted heavily. But teams waited on those picks -- opting for other talents early on. In a draft with two deep positions, one or both positions should see talent slide. Only if a hard run on talent develops early in one position group are there likely to be poor options in R3.

Tical21

Reaction score
left tackle if available
WR
interior O-line
pass rush in any form
safety depth
corner

kobebryant

Reaction score
Prioritize the best "Seahawky" players available. Who are those guys? we'll find out soon enough.

massari

Reaction score
Best player available regardless of position.

original poster

Reaction score
O line
Stand out WR
DL depth
Safety depth
Richard Sherman 2 but in the 7th round

mikeak

Reaction score
massari":pc7zuxb0 said:

If you need brakes for your car but oil filters are a better value then what do you buy?

Not saying you get a WR 20 spots higher than you should (then you trade down) but if you don't draft what you need then that is dumb

Let's say a good QB was available do you draft him if he is best on the board and you have RW / Rodgers / Brady???

massari

Reaction score
mikeak":1vn4vbj5 said:
massari":1vn4vbj5 said:

If you need brakes for your car but oil filters are a better value then what do you buy?

Not saying you get a WR 20 spots higher than you should (then you trade down) but if you don't draft what you need then that is dumb

Let's say a good QB was available do you draft him if he is best on the board and you have RW / Rodgers / Brady???

Your post hurts my brain. Damn.

hawksbrainiac

Reaction score
Get the center out the way with 2nd round pick. marpet or Grasu.

Then get #1 WR Mcbride

Then LG harrison

Then #2 WR Conely

Then Leo or pass rush like Kikaha.

Then RG Fabuluje

Then KR Diggs or Hardy.

CB .

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am totally fine with a Okung-Bailey-Lewis-Sweezy-Britt starting OL for next season. The team needs to add depth and competition level players at a few spots, but that can be done with mid-to-late round picks. If Seattle drafted an OL at #63, I would consider it to be almost a luxury pick since the difference between that pick and Bailey/Lewis would probably be small.

I think the biggest need is WR, specifically a guy who can convert Wilson's deep throws into huge plays. Wilson is a very good QB, I have no issue calling him elite, but he generates a huge amount of his value from the deep ball, and right now our deep targets suck outside of Kearse and maybe Graham (I don't think we'll see Graham 60 yards downfield all that often). Wilson's YPA and QB rating dropped last season and the biggest reason was the lack of a viable deep threat.

I also feel that this need matches up very well with the talent that will be available in round 2 if Seattle is willing to move up. I normally don't expect much of rookie WRs, but if Seattle got Devin Smith somehow, I think he'd have an immediate impact and generate 5-7 TDs and a very high yards per target in year one. I think of all the players Seattle has a realistic shot at, Smith increases Seattle's point differential the most.

I also think that blocking TE is a big need, bigger than OL even, since we block with TE so often and our current TE group is full of terrible blockers. That's why I am not so happy about being penny-wise, pound foolish with Zach Miller. Of course, Miller is still available and if he remains available after the draft, there is a very good chance he'll be a Seahawk again.

We always need pass rushers, though it seems Seattle has identified free agency as a market inefficiency to supply the kinds of DL they like. Bennett, Avril, Branch, McDaniel, Williams, Hargrove, Brock, Clemons (trade) etc. Seattle has gotten fantastic value in FA at DL and I think they will work that pipeline as long as they can.

We need DB help, but it's such a poor class this year that it might be best to draft some project guys late and hope they turn into Byron Maxwells.

netskier

Reaction score
Doesn't the time to severely pressure Wilson determine how deep a receiver can get for a pass? Last year we had both Richardson and Lockette who both could run faster than most defensive backs, yet we almost never sent them deep. I think that getting blockers who can maximize Wilson's time to pass, and zone block, is our greatest need. Too bad they are so rare.

titan3131

Reaction score
kearly":2zrk3pry said:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am totally fine with a Okung-Bailey-Lewis-Sweezy-Britt starting OL for next season. The team needs to add depth and competition level players at a few spots, but that can be done with mid-to-late round picks. If Seattle drafted an OL at #63, I would consider it to be almost a luxury pick since the difference between that pick and Bailey/Lewis would probably be small.

I think the biggest need is WR, specifically a guy who can convert Wilson's deep throws into huge plays. Wilson is a very good QB, I have no issue calling him elite, but he generates a huge amount of his value from the deep ball, and right now our deep targets suck outside of Kearse and maybe Graham (I don't think we'll see Graham 60 yards downfield all that often). Wilson's YPA and QB rating dropped last season and the biggest reason was the lack of a viable deep threat.

I also feel that this need matches up very well with the talent that will be available in round 2 if Seattle is willing to move up. I normally don't expect much of rookie WRs, but if Seattle got Devin Smith somehow, I think he'd have an immediate impact and generate 5-7 TDs and a very high yards per target in year one. I think of all the players Seattle has a realistic shot at, Smith increases Seattle's point differential the most.

I also think that blocking TE is a big need, bigger than OL even, since we block with TE so often and our current TE group is full of terrible blockers. That's why I am not so happy about being penny-wise, pound foolish with Zach Miller. Of course, Miller is still available and if he remains available after the draft, there is a very good chance he'll be a Seahawk again.

We always need pass rushers, though it seems Seattle has identified free agency as a market inefficiency to supply the kinds of DL they like. Bennett, Avril, Branch, McDaniel, Williams, Hargrove, Brock, Clemons (trade) etc. Seattle has gotten fantastic value in FA at DL and I think they will work that pipeline as long as they can.

We need DB help, but it's such a poor class this year that it might be best to draft some project guys late and hope they turn into Byron Maxwells.

Agreed On the Oline kearly. I am comfortable with them as the starters, but I would love some diamonds in the rough for depth / competition and we need a plan for okungs injury that might happen... Knock on wood.

WR I am not as high on Devin as you but I do trust your judgement. I personally prefer Perriman, dorsett before smith but who know none of them might last till we trade up or sit @ 63.

netskier

Reaction score
To clarify, I am fine with the current line for the running game, except for depth, but think we need better pass blockers, particularly at center and guard, since pass rushers there have the shortest path to the quarterback. New Orleans wanted Unger for exactly this reason.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":m2iv39jl said:

Been saying this for awhile. Although there are two instances where I see it's elevated beyond mere luxury.

1. Planned successor for Okung. I don't know that this is even in the mix. Although if the track record is any indication, the injury history should mean he's not here next year. Hurt (and paid) players get replaced here. Long history of that. If Seattle is looking to replace Okung -- which I believe they will -- then getting an OT who can play LT day 1 of 2016 has to be on the docket.

I don't see many prospects there early to fit that bill. Although Ogbuehi may be that guy. Length wise, he's absolutely superb. I would say that if we do take Cedric, that tips the FO's hand.

2. Injury. With that line -- we have Gilliam and that's about it. If the last 4 years are any indication, the 6th and 7th OL on the depth chart should expect to play about half a season or more. Means they have to be ready. Seattle has their 6th man (Gilliam) already steeped in the system and ready to go. Unless they keep some of the other guys (Isles and whomever) -- then the 7th guy doesn't have to be day 1 ready. But probably has to be day 45 ready.

Getting that swing interior guy to fill Bailey's role is going to require a guy with good talent who can be effective enough even though he's not ready assignment wise. That may exclude the garden variety mid to late day 3 pick. This draft is deep enough in talent that I tend to think this is not going to be an issue. And the curve for interior linemen doesn't appear to be as steep. Plenty of instances of day 3 interior guys starting day 1 and not being a huge liability. Despite Irvin's prayers to the contrary.

Overall, I'm inclined to agree that Seattle isn't going OL early. I would be surprised if we take 4 OL. Three would be a mild surprise. I'd expect two with a UFA. Let our current 6 through 9 compete with 2 rooks and another vet.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think the OL is okay, but can also be upgraded, and I don't have a hard time seeing our 2nd or 3rd round picks picks being upgrades over Bailey or Lewis. Behind them we have Gilliam, who I like as a swing tackle, and nothing else.

I think our current line will do in a pinch, just like our current WR's will do in a pinch. But both represent the areas that would be graded lowest on our roster.

DL depth is close behind. I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see 2-3 picks used at each of those positions.