Small School DB Prospects

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I have been trying to look at this year’s Seahawks draft from the perspective that the team may choose to go “heavy” in a few clear positions of need. One of the clear positions of need going into the draft is at DB. The Seahawks not only lost Byron Maxwell, but also lost Jeron Johnson – their lone FS backup.

Assuming that Simon, Burley, and Blackmon are not locks to make the team; the Seahawks could have as many as five holes in their secondary. Because Seattle has relied on DB’s to also play an important role on special teams, this draft becomes even more important as the team attempts to fill those critical holes, and to plan on additional secondary departures in the next few while creating much needed depth.

Here are a few small school DB prospects that the Seahawks may be looking into. The team has demonstrated a willingness to tap into the potential of the small school talent pool for the right player. These are prospects that I like, and could see Seattle being somewhat interested in them because they check multiple boxes concerning Seattle DB tendencies. All may end up as UDFA’s, but here are a few of my favs.

De’Vante Bausby CB, Pittsburg State – Bausby had an impressive pro day earlier this month, including a reported 4.22 – 40 yard dash (wind aided). Played primarily press/man in college, and seems technically proficient – at least based on the talent level of the competition. Reminds me a lot of Jeremy Lane coming out of college. Very similar build – Bausby weighed in at 179 lbs. at 6’1”. But despite his lack of girth, he is a willing and able tackler. Seahawks were rumored to have been well represented at his pro day. I could see Seattle taking Bausby as early as the fifth round.

Tye Smith, CB Towson – Somewhat of a surprise invite to the combine, Smith seems to be rising up some draft boards of late. He does not have the height Seattle likes, but he has long arms and plays very physical. Has very good ball skills and natural instincts – seems like a natural nickel corner. More quick than fast. I could see Seattle picking him up as a project…..maybe a seventh round pick

Tray Walker. CB Texas Southern – A very intriguing prospect. 6’2”, 187 lbs., with 33 5/8 inch arms. Ran a 4.5 40 at his pro day. Very experienced in press coverage, and seems to have decent ball skills. Lacks technique, but has a ton of upside. It is reported that the 49ers were bringing in him for a workout, and that there is increased interest in Walker recently. Seattle may take a flyer on him in the fifth.

Justin Halley, FS Florida International – 6’2” 200 lbs. Has ok speed, plays very physical, and has solid natural ball skills/instincts. Played a lot of single-high safety for FIU, so there may be some scheme fit. Not likely to be drafted, but could be a priority UDFA

Any other small school DB prospects intrigue you?

titan3131

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I didnt know of most of these.

Now I am curious what you think about Dexter Mcdonald.

OP
OP
Spleenhawk2.0

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
titan3131":2ybveb20 said:
Thanks for the insight! I didnt know of most of these.

Now I am curious what you think about Dexter Mcdonald.

I like him - had a really solid pro day. Very good athlete, but the one knock on him is he seems to not be very physical, to the point of avoiding contact. Needs to be a bit more aggressive, but seems to have all of the tools the Seahawks are looking for in developmental projects.

Is projected as a UDFA

OP
OP
Spleenhawk2.0

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":itcxy3hx said:
UDFA type who I wouldn't mind us taking a look at...

[youtube]1npW-66pq6I[/youtube]

Sounds like a Seahawk too...

Who was the toughest player you ever faced?

No One

What is your biggest weakness?

Keeping my mouth closed!!

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-diamo ... te-pueblo/

Ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day today. Lacks the height and typical Seahawk length, but is a very interesting prospect.