What I got for top 15 WRs for Seattle, with notes

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I’ve got them ranked in how I think Seattle would rank them and then where I would grade em for Seattle.

There’s probably a couple good receivers I’m missing or haven’t studied that are better than the last few prospects on my list, so let me know who should be on this list or who I graded wrong.

Untouchables
1. Kevin White – Top 10
Top quickness, speed, RAC, big-play ability. White is the weapon every QB would love to have

2. Amari Cooper – Top 10
Cooper is the receiver every coordinator would love to have. Smart, fast, 100% effort, dangerous receiver. Not the biggest receiver.

3. Devante Parker – Top 25
Prototypical #1 size and speed. He’s athletic, solid hands, capable of making any catch. A plug and play outside receiver who you can depend on to make big plays a variety of ways.

A trade up (big or small) or possible fall to #63

4. Dorial Green Beckham – late first (could fall as far as late 2nd rd)
A huge, physical receiver with gracefulness and shiftiness of a smaller player. A natural high pointer of the ball, great body control and timing of his jumps. Still learning how to play as a big man, but can dominate over smaller corners. A bit raw in route running and loses focus catching the ball, but creates plays on size and talent alone. Was a prospect peaking into greatness but shorten college career couldn’t prove it long term. Big questions on character concern.

5. Breshad Perriman – early 2nd
The body-type and speed of a #1 WR and the best combination of speed, size, and athleticism at the position if you stand by his 4.3 40 time. Some inconsistent hands, but runs his routes at full effort which with 4.3 speed makes for a dangerous receiver. Just let him body catch it and he’s still a a top receiver. The type of receiver you take the good with the bad. Would like to see him finish more plays and improve focus to reduce the drops.

6. Nelson Agholor – mid 2nd
Matches his football speed with his combine speed. Doesn’t lose quickness changing direction. A moveable weapon on offense. Not the cleanest hands. Capable of running any route, making plays all over. Plays tough and has good focus catching the ball over the middle. Great RAC ability. His average size hurts cause I think Seattle wants to get bigger, but still an impactful player. His ability to return kicks and punts bumps him up.

7. Phillip Dorsett – mid 2nd
A Pete Carroll “special quality” prospect. An elite speed weapon who can demolish coverages and outrun any pursuit angle. More a body catcher, but capable of catching the ball with his hands in tight coverage when situation calls for it. A slot receiver at the NFL that opens the field up. Would put Baldwin outside with Kearse, Richardson, Lockette, or Matthews. Good punt/kick return ability.

8. Jaelen Strong – late 2nd
I've become less of a fan of Strong, but still think he's a solid player. He's a big, athletic receiver with a giant catching radius who shows flashes of brilliance, but he also looks very ordinary some plays. He can out jump the best of them which showed up on the deep routes and redzone. His 4.4 speed shows up at times, but he needs to consistently play faster in his route running and overall play. Dealt with poor QB which hurt em. His tape against UW’s Marcus Peter exposed some weaknesses against press coverage. Would add needed strength to the WR group.

9. Devin Smith – late 2nd
One year of production. Only 33 catches last year but 12 TDs. Great jumps and great speed who can take the top off a defense. Excellent adjusting to ball in the air and making tough catches down the field. Has the occasional bobble and wasn't the most effective in the short game but could be much better than I'm giving him credit for. Ohio st used Smith in a limited role.

Available at #63 and beyond
10. Tre McBride – 3rd
Flashes average to elite talent in all the WR skill category. Lots to like, but questions about playing against faster, bigger NFL talent. He stand a little over 6’ so not the biggest receiver but athletically can play big. A good returner with good speed.

11. Sammie Coates – 3rd
Has the H/W/S to dominate, but lacks polish and consistency to use that talent. Right now he's more of a deep-ball threat or screen pass receiver who needs development on everything in between.

12. Devin Funchess – 3rd
Funchess hurt his stock running a 4.7 at the combine. He had a better pro day, but the damage was done. He’s an inside-outside possession receiver who has great redzone ability but isn’t elite in any other areas of his games. Most of his future success depends on the right team moving him around, in some ways what Seattle expects to do with Jimmy Graham, which makes it hard to see Seattle draft another prospect they have to move around its new star.

13. Tyler Lockette – 3rd/4th
Has some really good skills that allow him to make great plays but is also average in a lot of ways which limits him. Lack of size and strong hands (body catches when he shouldn’t). Has quickness and speed to get open when untouched but is contained too easy with physical coverage. Should be a good slot receiver at the next level.

14. DeAndre Smelter – 5th/6th
Smelter has a lot of skills. He’s a big player 6’2 who can run and catch the ball cleanly. He’s got RAC ability and may be only scratching the surface of his potential. He’s recovering from a knee injury, so his draft stock is unclear. With 11 picks overall in the draft, Seattle can afford to take a gamble here.

15. Darren Waller – 4th/5th round
A huge athletic player who doesn’t always play to his measurements, but has serious potential. He doesn’t have the natural football skills as receiver, yet. Was number #2 receiver running a limited offense at GT. If Seattle drafts Waller they can’t expect immediate results.

McGruff

Reaction score
Awesome list and notes. I think you have Algholar way too high and Dorsett a tad too high as well. I think Smtih, Strong and Coates are too low.

I have a similar list at work I will post here tomorrow.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1rgl4bs9 said:
Awesome list and notes. I think you have Algholar way too high and Dorsett a tad too high as well. I think Smtih, Strong and Coates are too low.

I have a similar list at work I will post here tomorrow.

Thanks McGruff.

That range of players you listed I struggled to rank the most. For Agholor and Dorsett, it was mostly their RAC and return ability that set them apart for me. It wouldn't surprise me to see some different rankings there.

Looking forward to your post.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Strong won't make it out of round 1. If Philly stays put, he'll be an eagle imo.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Great list!

I still have a feeling Seattle ends up with Smith or Dorsett unless they get drafted way too early. The passing game needs someone who can take the top off a defense and Pete loves special traits that he can take advantage of. I could be way off base though. Should be a fun draft.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":cwdednre said:
Strong won't make it out of round 1. If Philly stays put, he'll be an eagle imo.
I originally liked Strong a lot at #31, but digging through more tape I saw he got a ton of targets (which makes sense playing on a team without surrounding talent). Thing is, he should have produced even more at ASU. For every couple of good play, he would drop a catch on the slant or fail to get open for his QB.

I think that continues at the next level where he'll need an offense that throws enough to give him the oppurtunities to make a big play. I'm not sure he gets that with Seattle.

Maybe for another team he's a first rounder, but I just don't see the consistent play to grade him there anymore for Seattle. Remember per Peter King, Schneider had about 16 first round grades in this draft. Strong isn't a top 16 prospect. So while he might go in the first it's going to be based on fit.

I think Eagles can afford to wait till the 2nd rd for a WR if they choose to fix their Oline instead (better value there). Now that I think about it, the Raiders with Carr would be a good fit if they pass on White and Cooper with their 4th pick and draft Strong early 2nd instead.

McGruff

Reaction score
Here is my list . . .

Top three, move around the names, it doesn't matter, we don't have a shot . . .

1. Kevin White, WVU . . . only one year of elite production, but his athletic skils, especially his speed and agility, move his pro potential to the top of the board.

2. Davante Parker, Louisville . . . Again, Cooper produces more consistently than both these guys, but Parker's athletic upside and late season progression gives him the nod. He's a big play threat with excellent high point ability. Knock is that there are durability concerns and he's not a big RAC player.

3. Amari Cooper, Alabama . . . Production, athletic ability, size, consistency. Cooper is probably the safest play in this draft to be a long term, high caliber contributor . . . but his ceiling is lower. He's not a HOF type talent like I see in White and, too a lesser degree, Parker.

Further first rounders who could possibly fall if there are runs at other positiions . . .

4. Jaelen Strong, Arizona St. . . . they say he doesn't separate well, I say their offense didn't showcase that ability because of poor QB play. Strong has size, leaping ability, speed and short area acceleration that is off the charts. He's a hgih point master who will be a panicked QB's best friend. One of my favorites in this draft.

5. Sammie Coates, Auburn . . . This is a projection pick. Coates is at his best doing two things, running straight lines and blocking the heck out of people. He's raw as a route runner and doesn't show the change of direction yet to excel at digs and comebacks, but vertical routes, slants and drags are his forte, and what really makes him tick is raw physicality. Coates remind me a lot of Terrell Owens.

6. Breshad Perriman, UCF . . . Another projection. His game is far from polished as a route runner, and the UCF scheme makes it looks easy with simple reads, so he's got to improve technically and in film work. But he has great athletic ability, sticky hands, and runs better than he should at his size after the catch. Some guys are big and fast, some are small and shifty, Perriman manages to be both. Another favorite of mine, I've been on him since january when most had him as a 4th round pick.

7. Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma/Missouri . . . Every thing you want in a WR is there except experience and attitude. He has the ability to run every route (even though he hasn't done it!), speed, leaping ability, size, hands, body control . . . everything. But there are those off-field issues, and more importantly for Seattle, there are mental lapses and on-field laziness that shows up on tape. He's not a high effort player away from the play, and too often he forgets where he is, where he's supposed to be, how to catch . . . the game is there, but its not there all the time, and that's a major concern.

2nd rounders that could go early, could go late, all depends on which teams love them . . .

8. Devin Smith, Ohio State . . . If you want a pure speed player, a guy to stretch the defense from end zone to end zone and draw safety coverage from the middle of the field, Smith is the guy you want. Like Coates, he's a straightline guy right now, and the team drafting him will have to work with that early, but in a straight line he's got the burst to eat up a cushion fast and the long speed to blow by defenders. As an additional perk, despite being smallist, he's probably one of the best blockers in this class.

9. Phillip Dorsett, Miami . . . Dorsett is a speed guy too, but is better on routes that open up his RAC skills than he is as a pure downfield burner. He's a guy who can take a bubble screen or quick slant and turn it into a monster play. He's guy you can use on jet sweeps and tricks out of the backfield and scare defenses. What he isn't is big, and his hands are occasionally inconsistent. Of this class, he's the guy who most reminds me of Percy.

3rd round and down . . .

10. Tyler Lockett, Kansas St. . . . I really only have him here for return ability, not because he's not a good receiver, but more because he feels redundant to me. He basically is Paul Richardson. Small, thin, wiry, fast, runs good routes, reliable and productive, but his NFL upside is severely limited by his frame.

11. Chris Conley, Georgia . . . Chris Harper, Kris Durham, Chris Conley. Besides sharing the same name they are raw athletic prospects with little production and no technical skills. Conley is a big, fast blank canvas, and coaching and desire will dictate whether he's just another Chris, or a clone of Marques Colston. He shows some good things on tape, enough to tempt, but the sample size is so small that his campus workout with position coaches is going to be the thing that decides his draft stock.

12. Nelson Algholar, USC . . . Honestly I get a JAG vibe from Algholar. He feels to me like AJ Jenkins or Rashaun Woods. A quality college player with no defining skils that will set him apart in the pros. he's a guy who will play out his first contract and then bounce around the league a few years. His upside IMO is Jermaine Kearse.

13. Tre McBride, William and Mary . . . McBride is a solid return man with above average receiving skills. His stock and trade is route running . . . among the best in this class at selling fakes, planting his feet, and bursting out of cuts. But he doesn't show good field speed and doesn't offer much after the catch. He's strictly an over the middle slot type player. He'll move the sticks, but won't scare anyone. Reminds me of Bobby Engram or (gasp!) Doug Baldwin.

14. Kenny Bell, Nebraska . . . A smaller version of McBride, Bell does a lot fo things really well, but nothing so well that a defense has to worry about it. What he adds is the ability to block really well. But his upside is limited by a fairly maxed out frame and an injury history that feels chronic.

15. Darren Waller, Georgia Tech . . . All the athletic ability you want, but like Conley there is nothing on film to base a projection on, and unlike Conley he's actually a weak blocker coming from a high volumn rushing team. But his raw athletic ability will be intriguing to a team like Seattle.

Notable Guys left off the list . . .
Funchess . . . He's not a WR. He's a TE.
Ty Montgomery . . . oh what a glorious return man . . . and what a mess of a WR.

McGruff

Reaction score
Oddly enough, some of the guys I criticized the OP for having too low I have lower.

But this is a Seahawks based list, and I think they will overlook production for potential. I actually prefer Smith and Dorsett over DGB, Coates and Perriman, but I don't think the Seahawks will.

McGruff

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2zs9mbiu said:
CPHawk":2zs9mbiu said:
I originally liked Strong a lot at #31, but digging through more tape I saw he got a ton of targets (which makes sense playing on a team without surrounding talent). Thing is, he should have produced even more at ASU. For every couple of good play, he would drop a catch on the slant or fail to get open for his QB.

I think that continues at the next level where he'll need an offense that throws enough to give him the oppurtunities to make a big play. I'm not sure he gets that with Seattle.

Maybe for another team he's a first rounder, but I just don't see the consistent play to grade him there anymore for Seattle. Remember per Peter King, Schneider had about 16 first round grades in this draft. Strong isn't a top 16 prospect. So while he might go in the first it's going to be based on fit.

I think Eagles can afford to wait till the 2nd rd for a WR if they choose to fix their Oline instead (better value there). Now that I think about it, the Raiders with Schuab would be a good fit if they pass on White and Cooper with their 4th pick and draft Strong early 2nd instead.

Keep in mind that Strong was also playing with a horrible QB throwing him the ball. That stood out to me watching several game videos. That ASU QB was a mess.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":22r65hpn said:
Great list!

I still have a feeling Seattle ends up with Smith or Dorsett unless they get drafted way too early. The passing game needs someone who can take the top off a defense and Pete loves special traits that he can take advantage of. I could be way off base though. Should be a fun draft.

I'd love to get either Smith or Dorsett. I think Dorsett has the better chance of falling to us because he's more a slot guy than Smith who can play inside or outside and is right away a deep ball threat in certain packages and has the athleticism to make plays in the endzone.

One question I have with Smith though is if he's not running a 9-route is he reliable in the 0-10 yard range to move the chains or is he on the sidelines? One of the bigger surprises for me last year was that Seattle drafted a deep ball threat in Richardson and then almost never threw him deep. Instead, PRich had to make his plays in the short and intermediate field. Not a lot of tape that supports Smith can be that guy.

penihawk

Reaction score
Dorsett ran 4.25 at his pro day so I doubt there's any chance he falls to us at 63. I think he ends up being one of the best pros out of this group and a better version of T.Y. Hilton. :(

titan3131

Reaction score
My realistic Wr we trade up for in order:

Breshad perriman
Jalean Strong
Philipp Dorsett
Nelshon Agholor
Devin Smith

I think tre + Ty can be had in the 3/4th round if we dont pick WR with the 1st pick.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1agk6kvk said:
Here is my list . . .

Great, great list and notes McGruff!

7 first round grades is a bit more than I would predict. There's a lot first round talent, but I feel there is an overall lack of polish and consistency to make em worth drafting so high. In the end though it wouldn't surprise me to see a surprise "project" receiver go in the first and/or one of the smaller receivers.

Totally agree on Dorsett being the closest Percy Harvin receiver. One of those reasons he's so intriguing for Seattle.

Regarding Strong, you're absolutely right his QB situation hurt him. There were a few plays that were missed because he simply didn't have the QB who could put it up in a spot only he could get it. That's why I think the Raider's Carr (sorry not Schaub) would be a good fit. He's got the accuracy and, more importantly, willingness to throw the ball into tight coverage.

Is that Russell Wilson, though?

I feel Russell would have trouble seeing Strong as "open" and pulling the trigger. Now, on the deep and intermediate routes (what Strong is best at IMO) he's a valuable weapon who can go up and high point the ball, but he's not the best at gaining immediate separation in the short game, imo.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, I put 7 in the first round category because I think any of those 7 COULD go in the first round, but not that they all WILL go in the first round. I think the top 4 are first rounders (Strong included) but after that it will come down to fit.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'm not so sure Phillip Dorsett wont be there at the end of the 2nd. Yeah, he ran a 4.25, but eveyone already knew he was fast and talented - and he was still being projected in the 2nd / 3rd round area. Perriman is a different story. That kid helped himself tremendously with his Pro Day 40's.

The other reason Dorsett might be there is that this is a fairly rich draft for the first few rounds. Start trying to place players off a big board and you'll realize there's a lot of talent to go around. They always talk about there being "runs" on certain positions. So, if teams taking more WR's early... then we'll probably see a run so that teams can get them while they can.

I wanted to thrown in a couple of other names. What about Dezmin Lewis? Where does he factor in for you guys? 5th/6th round? I thought he was garnering more attention lately and possibly a 3rd rounder.
Next, I wonder if this guy could be the John Brown of this draft (not necessarily size, etc. - but, that he gets drafted higher than projected by media and us fans.) Anyway, listen to Jason LaCanfora about Deon Long (Maryland). Apparently, a KR, too. http://cbsprt.co/1Fjhtrl There's been some lofty things said about the talent of this guy and it's suggested teams are well aware of him.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
^ I had a couple of Twitter questions of mine asked by Softy on KJR to Daniel Jeremiah and one of them was about WR prospects and he mentioned Dezmin Lewis as a player to keep an eye on. Personally I haven't seen anything on him but seeing your post on him and then DJ talking about him I'll have to give him and Deon Long a look.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
although id love for pc/js to go WR in round 2 (particularly trading up to get a perriman or dorsett) i just don't see it happening :? . this draft i think they attack both oline and dline early and often and look for a sleeper or redshirt candidate at WR later rounds, someone like smelter in the 5th/6th.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Could David Johnson be added to the conversation here? The Seahawks do love versatile players.

penihawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":931xrr9i said:
^ I had a couple of Twitter questions of mine asked by Softy on KJR to Daniel Jeremiah and one of them was about WR prospects and he mentioned Dezmin Lewis as a player to keep an eye on. Personally I haven't seen anything on him but seeing your post on him and then DJ talking about him I'll have to give him and Deon Long a look.

I personally really like Dezmin Lewis and put him in the 134 spot in the BR 7rd mock re-do in another post. He has "game speed",good body control and is a hands catcher which are 3 big check marks for me. Not to mention the 6'4" 212lb frame and has played inside and out. Head and shoulders a better prospect than Waller & Connely and I like him way better than McBride who I think plays smaller & slower than his underwear numbers.

I can see the Hawks really liking this kid and trying to target him with the NO pick and a guy like Smelter with a comp pick in the 5/6 range. I'm starting to lean towards targeting a backup LT/G like Donovan Smith and being able to say good-bye to Okung next year and try to come up with a DL player that has some pass rush skill in the 3rd. The beauty of being good is there are sooo many ways to go and they could all work in the end. :D