NFL has made a mistake by delaying the draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing for the reporters to write about, nobody is going to their sites anymore, and some people are even watching basketball and golf now.

The other sports are loving it, but there is such a huge void of NFL related action. The mock drafts are just boring (except for Englishes). The pro days barely catch my attention, and there is three more weeks of this dead space.

What the hell were they thinking?

Oh well, there is one advantage to all this, I'm getting yard work and my projects done. Maybe this was the idea of NFL execs wives.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Draft coverage does feel kind of weak this year. Still, the more time Schneider and Co. have to evaluate talent and challenge their assumptions the better this class will be. I truly believe that.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":24orumfj said:
There is absolutely nothing for the reporters to write about, nobody is going to their sites anymore, and some people are even watching basketball and golf now.

The other sports are loving it, but there is such a huge void of NFL related action. The mock drafts are just boring (except for Englishes). The pro days barely catch my attention, and there is three more weeks of this dead space.

Oh well, there is one advantage to all this, I'm getting yard work and my projects done. Maybe this was the idea of NFL execs wives.

How much do you think they have delayed it this year? Last year they tried having it a week into May and due to some of the negative reviews they returned it back to the end of April this year. The last 13 or so years (minus last year) the draft took place anywhere from April 22ndish to the end of the month.

This year is no different then pretty much any other year.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1xk8kk0a said:
ivotuk":1xk8kk0a said:

How much do you think they have delayed it this year? Last year they tried having it a week into May and due to some of the negative reviews they returned it back to the end of April this year. The last 13 or so years (minus last year) the draft took place anywhere from April 22ndish to the end of the month.

This year is no different then pretty much any other year.

Good Lord, I'm losing it! I could have sworn it was earlier last year! Anyway, this is horrible, I want the draft now!

Had to go look it up:

NFL Draft 2014 began on Thursday, May 8 and ended on Saturday, May 10

NFL Draft 2013 began on Thursday, April 25 and ended on Saturday, April 27

NFL Draft 2012 began on Thursday, April 26 and ended on Saturday, April 28

NFL Draft 2011 began on Thursday, April 28 and ended on Saturday, April 30

NFL Draft 2010 began on Thursday, April 22, and ended on Saturday, April 24,

kearly

Reaction score
This year they only barely delayed it though. Starts on April 30th. Most years it starts in very late April.

I agree though, having the draft start in May last year just felt weird. Undoubtedly, the NFL moved the draft back and moved locations because they thought it might make them an extra nickle. I respect Goodell's work ethic and ambition, but some of the changes he does are pretty silly and cause more problems than they are worth, even if it makes the league a tiny bit more money.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kearly":pp0tk0dp said:
This year they only barely delayed it though. Starts on April 30th. Most years it starts in very late April.

I agree though, having the draft start in May last year just felt weird. Undoubtedly, the NFL moved the draft back and moved locations because they thought it might make them an extra nickle. I respect Goodell's work ethic and ambition, but some of the changes he does are pretty silly and cause more problems than they are worth, even if it makes the league a tiny bit more money.

:sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: So if I were to write an equation out...this would be the result.....

Goodell + NFL=Bevell + Seahawks :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off:

Sorry, I could not resist. I will take all the slams coming my way too. I deserve it. :twisted:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea I don't know what the reason is, but this offseason has seemed so much more dull than any I can remember. There is literally nothing go on, and for whatever reason the media coverage of the draft is either not there or not making me aware of its presence.

naholmes

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ry1ouys said:
Yea I don't know what the reason is, but this offseason has seemed so much more dull than any I can remember. There is literally nothing go on, and for whatever reason the media coverage of the draft is either not there or not making me aware of its presence.
Ummm..... what? The Seahawks traded for Jimmy Graham!!! What more do you need to get your blood pumping?

Seriously though, I agree. The free agency period started off with a bang with some big trades and signings but nothing since then. It doesn't look like there will be much action at all for the next 3 weeks.

original poster

Reaction score
Was going to say it is as early May last year. I was in Florida at the time and didn't get here till the 6th..

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The NFL always has this lull in news.. the schedule release will have some chatter for a day or two.. then the draft.. then you will have another lull in news until training camp. And that's ok. The 24/7/365 NFL doesn't need to happen.. its too much sometimes.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Last season was the first draft I actually watched in more than a decade. It was fun enough, but all the highlights and analysis are available after the fact, so I felt it wasn't a must-watch. How many awkward Goodell bro-hugs do I need to see in one day?

Now that it's back to the same weekend as the opening of fishing season, I'll get smart phone alerts out in the woods and post-weekend discussion here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they do have to let the deflate gate investigator come up with a plausible solution so the Patriots don't lose draft picks.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
To be fair there was a benefit to having it the first week of may. Usually you'd have the draft and then they would have the rookie minicamp then the rooks had to sit out for a few weeks until graduation, but last year got the after the minicamp most guys had their graduation and therefore didn't have to wait to participate.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think the difference between this year and last year was the outcome of the Superbowl. Last year we were all basking in the glory not wanting it to end whereas this year we just want to forget and get cracking again. Time can be very much affected by human perception.

I'm sure that last year someone posted a monthly highlight for the year which showed it made sense to have the draft in May.

Jan - Play offs
Feb - Superbowl - Combine
Mar - Free agency

etc etc

original poster

Reaction score
There is too much downtime IMO, I can't wait for September and do wish there was more going on, the draft will be great to discuss on here but I guess training camp won't be a busy time here really.

If only these guys could play from June to December!

McGruff

Reaction score
They traded one dead time for another. Used to be that May to July was excruciating. Now it's March to May.

You just can't have a 12 month sport.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The draft was pushed back last year due to a schedule conflict at Radio City Music Hall. The conflict ran two years (2014/2015) with the possibility of future conflicts.

Wasn't about getting more money. It was about trying to keep the draft scheduled as is. The need for having facility availability prompted the move.

I'd expect they'll move it around some if this years' draft goes off well, which it should. But I'd still expect it to be in NYC more often than not.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I actually have to pay attention to my girlfriend these days because there is no Seahawks news to read.