2016 Compensatory Draft Pick Watch

Willyeye

Reaction score
I will be keeping track of the Seahawks Compensatory Picks for 2016. I will update it as more Seahawk Free Agents find new homes if they are pertinent. As of 4-11-2015 at 11:00AM...

Byron Maxwell- $10,500,000 APY- signed with Eagles...currently projected to be a 3rd round pick for 2016

James Carpenter- $4,775,000 APY- signed with Jets...currently projected to be a 5th round pick for 2016

Malcolm Smith- $3,500,000 APY- signed with Raiders...currently projected to be a 6th round pick for 2016

[Jeron Johnson- $2,000,000 APY- signed with Redskins]...was projected to be a 7th round pick for 2016, but due to the signing of UFA Ahtyba Rubin for $2.55 million for 2015, this is the pick that is most likely negated.

O’Brien Schofield -$1,700,000 APY- signed with Falcons... currently projected to be a 7th round pick for 2016.

There are only a total of 32 compensatory picks available to all 32 teams. Receiving a pick for the loss of Schofield will depend on how low the new contracts of the 32 FA losses go this year. Last year, the lowest contracts for FA losses were $795,000 per year. If that happens again this year, Schofield's $1.7 million would qualify for a compensatory pick. So as of now, the Hawks are still in the running to get 4 compensatory picks in 2016.

Potential Free Agents that could add picks or improve the placement of draft picks: Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Williams.

As of now, the Hawks have signed only one UFA (unrestricted free agent) that would count against a compensatory pick. DT Ahtyba Rubin apparently signed a one-year deal with the Hawks for $2.55 million. It remains to be seen, but it appears that the signing of Rubin will negate the compensatory pick we would have received for Jeron Johnson.

Fade

Reaction score
I believe Ahtyba Rubin was cut, so it doesn't count against the compensatory formula.

edit. Nevermind. He was making big money in Cleveland so I thought he was cut, but yeah he was UFA.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":10hh73s4 said:
The Hawks can't get a comp for Williams. He was a one year deal.

huh?

1 year deals mean nothing when it comes to determining if a team gets a comp pick. Confused on who your are referencing.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
lsheldon":ttvca1eo said:
I keep track of them here:

http://overthecap.com/draft

I didn't really find much at the link you gave, but I found this at OTC:

http://overthecap.com/2016-compensatory ... te-432015/

After looking at the probable compensatory draft picks for 2016 at overthecap, there was one glaring aspect that made me a bit uncomfortable: the Maxwell pick is the last 3rd round pick, and therefore could be most apt to drop to a 4th round pick if anything happens, like missing half the season to an injury. Carpenter is the last 5th round pick; he also is at risk of dropping to a 6th. Malcolm Smith is the last pick of the 6th round...again, he is also most at risk of dropping down one round to the 7th round. So, at least as of now, our top three compensatory picks are all the last pick of their round and at risk to drop down a round :cry:

So what now looks like compensatory picks in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, could very easily turn out to be compensatory picks in the 4th, 6th, 7th, and 7th.

In the 2015 compensatory draft picks, it looked like the Seahawks were going to get a 5th round pick for Brandon Browner, but probably because of the fact that Browner missed 6 games at the beginning of the season and probably also because the Patriots failed to pick up his second year option with them, the NFL lowered his compensatory value, and the pick for Browner ended up moving down to a 6th round pick. Overall, that pick dropped from pick #168 to pick #209, a net loss of 41 spots in the draft.

If any of the three above-mentioned FA's end up moving down for any reason, hopefully it will result in only a drop of around 30 overall spots in the draft...getting dropped down 41 spots is a HUGE drop!!!

Seafan

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":mt08jm6w said:
Seafan":mt08jm6w said:

huh?

1 year deals mean nothing when it comes to determining if a team gets a comp pick. Confused on who your are referencing.

The player has to be on your team for two years. If Williams signs elsewhere there will be no comp for the Hawks. No that it matters, I doubt Williams would sign for enough to give the Hawks any comp.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":12ttvjfm said:
Bigbadhawk":12ttvjfm said:
Seafan":12ttvjfm said:

huh?

The player has to be on your team for two years. If Williams signs elsewhere there will be no comp for the Hawks. No that it matters, I doubt Williams would sign for enough to give the Hawks any comp.

If there was a 2 year requirement for a team to be eligible to receive a comp pick then please explain how Revis who played 1 year for the Pats is going to get the Pats a 3rd round pick? One of the sports talk shows were chatting about this a couple weeks ago with some saying its a flaw with the Comp pick system that allows the rich to get richer (in this case New England)

titan3131

Reaction score
I was wrong, they didnt cut him/or release him they had an option to extend his contract and they declined to do so making him a free agent.

kearly

Reaction score
That is really cool. Potentially a 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th for Seattle. Nice to see that the Rubin signing didn't hurt Seattle at all.

OT: Odrick got $8.5 million APY. Tramon Williams got $7 million APY. Reading the list, it was shocking to see how many league average players got paid huge bucks this offseason.