Will Dorial Green-Beckham be a first round pick?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I have been in a disagreement with somebody over whether this guy will be gone after the first round. A lot of teams will not want to spend a first on a dude with these character issues. A lower pick makes it easier to ditch him if something happens, and harder to pass up when he's still there in the third round or whatever. What do you experts think?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Dorian Green buds Beckham will probably be the fourth WR taken.

LTH

Reaction score
I think it depends on how much of an upside a team thinks he has...I would think he would be a high second round pick with the quality of recievers in the draft... definately would not surprise me if a team took a chance on him...The Hawks will have to trade up to get him IMO... Its an interesting draft we will see at the end of the month...

LTH

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think he will be gone. He has enough potential to go in the fi4st combined with enough crappy GMs to have someone decide he's worth it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think he's going to go very high.

6-5, 4.4 speed will trump all the off-field things... as always.

kearly

Reaction score
Not sure how credible the rumor was, but supposedly Seattle was looking at drafting DGB with their late 1st round pick before trading for Graham. Even if Seattle's interest is fake, the rumor itself would hint that teams generally consider DGB to be a fringe 1st rounder.

My guess is that he goes high 2nd round. If DGB busts, it will look very obvious in retrospect, and having that kind of blemish as a 1st round pick on one's resume is something GMs try to avoid like the plague. It would take serious balls to draft a guy like him in the 1st round at any point, despite his top 10 level tools.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":21411lbe said:
It would take serious balls to draft a guy like him in the 1st round at any point, despite his top 10 level tools.

And if he pans out, you're the GM that passed on a guy with Top 10 tools who slid because of character. Sword falls both ways.

Ultimately.. he's 6-5 with incredible athleticism. If the guy were a 5-10 WR with these red flags, then yeah he's sliding far. But these type of playmakers are very rare and very sought after. Someone is going to roll the dice on him and IMO it will occur in the Top 15.. maybe Top 20 at worst.

Also thanks to the new CBA.. if you whiff on a first rounder, its far less damaging to your roster than it used to be.

I'd LOVE to be wrong and hope he does slide to the mid-2nd so we can swoop up and grab him. I just do not see that.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":33sbnzmu said:
kearly":33sbnzmu said:
It would take serious balls to draft a guy like him in the 1st round at any point, despite his top 10 level tools.

And if he pans out, you're the GM that passed on a guy with Top 10 tools who slid because of character. Sword falls both ways.

Here is the difference on how the sword falls

ONE Guy is the "idiot" that took the wrong player

31 GMs (general numbers ignoring trades" can share the burden of not drafting a guy

The "heat" on the 31 GMs is a lot less

kearly

Reaction score
Exactly. You don't hear GMs getting a lot of grief about the players they didn't draft. How many GMs get crap for passing on Tom Brady or Russell Wilson?

titan3131

Reaction score
Kearly I know the jags gm got flack for picking that punter @ 74 in 2012.

kearly

Reaction score
titan3131":2w9sw5z0 said:
Kearly I know the jags gm got flack for picking that punter @ 74 in 2012.

Haha that's true.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":pg590hif said:
Exactly. You don't hear GMs getting a lot of grief about the players they didn't draft. How many GMs get crap for passing on Tom Brady or Russell Wilson?

Outside of their own fan bases, not all that much. I'd agree, you don't get crap for not picking a guy in the NFL. There's so many players, and so many guys that slide, it's too much to process really.

How many people are getting crap or getting fired for not drafting Richard Sherman? Kam Chancellor ? Russell Wilson ?

How much good is Josh Gordon doing his team right now ? How well is that talent translating to the field ?

In my opinion, you'd have to be a fool to draft a guy like that in the 1st round, with all those red flags. The guy didn't even play football last year, he was on a scout team/practice squad.

original poster

Reaction score
I think he's 1st round talent with 4th/5th round issues. I hope he drops and we take a punt but I think he will go mid to late second just before our pick.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lfxr6fk said:
kearly":3lfxr6fk said:

Ultimately.. he's 6-5 with incredible athleticism. If the guy were a 5-10 WR with these red flags, then yeah he's sliding far. But these type of playmakers are very rare and very sought after. Someone is going to roll the dice on him and IMO it will occur in the Top 15.. maybe Top 20 at worst.

Also thanks to the new CBA.. if you whiff on a first rounder, its far less damaging to your roster than it used to be.

I'd LOVE to be wrong and hope he does slide to the mid-2nd so we can swoop up and grab him. I just do not see that.
That makes sense--it's like the 6'4" qb syndrome--like wtf is Bradford still doing in the NFL?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I'm not that enamored with him. I think he's riding the wave that Kelvin Benjamin created. Then again, I was not enamored with Kelvin Benjamin last year for some of the same reasons . . . inconsistent hands, lack of focus, attitude problem, etc.

I like Jaelen Strong more. PFF has an excellent profile on him: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... strong-wr/

As an aside, I am digging PFF's draft coverage this year. Strong was the 6th highest graded receiver by them last season. Also finished 12th in terms of Yards Per Route Run, averaging 2.71 YPRR from his 431 routes run in 2014. He was at his best from the slot, averaging 4.06 YPRR against teams from the Power Five conferences, the highest average of all draft eligible receivers.

I don't think we move up and I doubt he lasts until No. 63 . . . so probably moot. I also prefer Nelson Agholor and Devante Parker.