MariotA going #1 to bucs?

Largent80

Reaction score
What?...that drafting him is going to keep them from being the annual whippin' post?......Doubt that.

Rivers is going to leave SD after this year and TB would be a perfect spot for him.

kearly

Reaction score
Unless you fear Mariota turning into Blaine Gabbert under center, there's no reason he shouldn't go #1. I think it's kind of silly to be terrified of a spread offense QB in the NFL today. Gabbert didn't fail because of a lack of experience in my view, he failed because he is a wimpy QB who folds like a lawn chair under any pressure. Mariota does have some issues when put under pressure, but though his play declines, his mental toughness remains. He doesn't get down on himself.

Put Mariota in Seattle and I think he'd be a pretty small dropoff from Wilson. If any. This is a rare QB prospect, and any team that's worth a damn would mold their team situation to make a guy like Mariota successful. Just like Seattle did for Wilson.

Winston could be pretty good too if he went to an offense first team that could coach him out of the WTF interceptions (or, could find a way to win despite them like Indy). I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly coveted Winston as much as Mariota, since his system is so good at reducing INT numbers.

I don't think the Cardinals have the draft ammunition for it, but Winston would be a perfect fit for Arians.

In terms of risk, I think Winston's maturity is a bigger risk than Mariota's faint Gabbert similarities. And even then, immature QBs have starred in the NFL before.

I don't think you can fault a team for drafting either one of these guys at the top. I mean, compare them to almost any QB class recently other than 2012. Sanchez, Stafford, Bradford, Locker, Dalton, Ponder, Kaep, Newton, Manuel, G. Smith, Barkley, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater. Put them all in the same draft and Mariota or Winston would be near the top of that heap.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Such a Bucs move.

Mariota is going to be a bust unless he winds up in Philly somehow.

I still think Jameis goes #1 .. because he's the better QB even if he's a knucklehead.

titan3131

Reaction score
I think he can avoid busting by not being forced to start immediately.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":son629cm said:
I think he can avoid busting by not being forced to start immediately.

That's not happening if he goes to Tampa.

titan3131

Reaction score
I know they are desperate but really Glennon isnt that bad. He almost beat the hawks once!

I would draft mariota and sit him 1 year while he learns.

Or be really smart and trade down and get a premier player of another position and roll the dice with petty or hundley.

Fade

Reaction score
Mariota reminds me of Alex Smith who went #1 in his draft. Smart, Tall, Athletic, Quiet, Shy. SPREAD OFFENSE :!:

Spread Offense is a big deal, it takes a long time to transition. CK & RGIII are still transitioning, hell Cam Newton is still transitioning to a certain extent, and the only Spread college QB I would take to be my starter if I was an NFL head coach.

Look at the QBs in the last few classes.

Cam Newton - Spread
Andy Dalton - Pro Style
Kaepernick - Spread / Pistol

Luck - Pro Style
RGIII - Spread
Tannehill - Pro Style
Weeden - Spread
Wilson - Pro Style
Foles - Pro Style

EJ Manuel - Pro Style / Spread (Hybrid)
Geno Smith - Spread
Mike Glennon - Pro Style

Bortles - Pro Style
Manziel - Spread
Bridgewater - Pro Style
Carr - Both

Winston - Pro Style
Mariota - Spread

Lets just look at the 1st pure Spread QB off the Board starting with RG!!!

2012 RGIII - DISASTER
2013 Geno Smith - DISASTER
2014 Manziel - DISASTER
2015 Mariota - ???? Alex Smith+ at best IMO.

titan3131

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":wbhu7nmo said:
titan3131":wbhu7nmo said:
I know they are desperate but really Gannon isnt that bad. He almost beat the hawks once!

Or be really smart and trade down and get a premier player of another position and roll the dice with petty or hundley.

Dude, I think you just went back in time 10 years.

With the info that fade put up its very important to get a spread guy acclimated to the differences of the NFL.

the hawks didnt become the best in the league doing the "NORM" or what other clubs do nowadays. We thought outside the box and made bold moves, and reaped the benefits of it.

titan3131

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3kbfi3pm said:
titan3131":3kbfi3pm said:
FlyHawksFly":3kbfi3pm said:
titan3131":3kbfi3pm said:
I know they are desperate but really Gannon isnt that bad. He almost beat the hawks once!

Dude, I think you just went back in time 10 years.

With the info that fade put up its very important to get a spread guy acclimated to the differences of the NFL.

the hawks didnt become the best in the league doing the "NORM" or what other clubs do nowadays. We thought outside the box and made bold moves, and reaped the benefits of it.

LMFAO I am talking about you calling Mike GLENNON by the name of Gannon.

OOOPS! lol thanks

jake206

Reaction score
If Chargers are willing to trade Rivers, if I were Bucs I would put Chargers GM on speed dial. Mariota is an unknown commodity. Rivers is a near lock for HOF with still a long shelf life. No brainer.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jake206":s3m6ulto said:
If Chargers are willing to trade Rivers, if I were Bucs I would put Chargers GM on speed dial. Mariota is an unknown commodity. Rivers is a near lock for HOF with still a long shelf life. No brainer.

Phillip rivers and hall of fame? Never thought I'd hear those in the same sentence.

chris98251

Reaction score
Where I have an issue is does Rivers fit the system, Titans would be the best bet, Bucs ehhh not so much. Many QB's want out of a situation, they need to be careful what they wish for, Cleveland happens.

jake206

Reaction score
JSeahawks":35en9dyn said:
jake206":35en9dyn said:

Phillip rivers and hall of fame? Never thought I'd hear those in the same sentence.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/04/mike-mayock-philip-rivers-chargers-jets/
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/philip_rivers_surpasses_ken_st.html
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/28778/is-philip-rivers-canton-bound

Only thing holding him back is a superbowl. But same could be said for Marino.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2aophaxl said:
jake206":2aophaxl said:

He's only 33 .. another couple of 4000 yard seasons would put him in range of the Top 10 in passing yards. It's not entirely far fetched.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Fade":1zdd2zzy said:
Mariota reminds me of Alex Smith who went #1 in his draft. Smart, Tall, Athletic, Quiet, Shy. SPREAD OFFENSE :!:

Spread Offense is a big deal, it takes a long time to transition. CK & RGIII are still transitioning, hell Cam Newton is still transitioning to a certain extent, and the only Spread college QB I would take to be my starter if I was an NFL head coach.

Look at the QBs in the last few classes.

Cam Newton - Spread
Andy Dalton - Pro Style
Kaepernick - Spread / Pistol

Luck - Pro Style
RGIII - Spread
Tannehill - Pro Style
Weeden - Spread
Wilson - Pro Style
Foles - Pro Style

EJ Manuel - Pro Style / Spread (Hybrid)
Geno Smith - Spread
Mike Glennon - Pro Style

Bortles - Pro Style
Manziel - Spread
Bridgewater - Pro Style
Carr - Both

Winston - Pro Style
Mariota - Spread

Lets just look at the 1st pure Spread QB off the Board starting with RG!!!

2012 RGIII - DISASTER
2013 Geno Smith - DISASTER
2014 Manziel - DISASTER
2015 Mariota - ???? Alex Smith+ at best IMO.

Wait, what ?! You beleive Arizona, with Rich Rod as the HC, runs a pro style O? In fact, it looks like you just twist the facts to meet your argument. Geno Smith, who played for Jimbo Fisher, in the same O Winston played in you are trying to put under a spread O. Besides Louisville ran a spread O also Bridgewater, but just like Ok St they didn't run a spread option. Lots of Qbs have come out of spread O over the years. Peyton Manning basically runs a spread O, the bills fan a spread Omand went to 4 strait SB. The spread isn't the same as the spread option, but lump Weeden, and his 5.1 40, into the list with MM just to try and distort your point. In fact I'd say TCU runs more of a spread option than OK light, but you conveniently put Dalton under Pro O.

And let's not even get started on Cam Newton, his problems have nothing to do with what Omhe played in, he's just lazy. If he had Wilsons work ethic, the dude would be a top 5 qb.