How many picks will the Hawks trade away this draft?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With the team having 11 picks they could make this draft what is the likelihood the team will trade away picks to improve draft position, acquire depth, or stock earlier picks for next seasons's draft?

To me with the team having 5 picks they could make between rounds 2 & 4, and a further 6 picks they could make between rounds 5 & 7 the likelihood of the team drafting quite a few players who won't have a likely shot of cracking the 53 man roster seems pretty high. JS likes lots of picks and takes the view that with more picks he's got a better shot of finding keeper players but this year with the team having very few roster spots that are open it seems to me that there appears more than ever a likelihood that the team may trade up or trade away numerous draft picks to move around during the draft to acquire the players they have targeted.

I know there have been discussions here of a trade up to acquire a premier WR. This could possibly happen but I suspect the team would not trade up into the first round regardless b/c of the contract cost of a 1st round pick. I could see them trade up in the 2nd by trading away a 4th or to move up in the 3rd with the same trade. After that I'd suspect every other draft pick the team has got is able to be traded to stockpile earlier picks for a future draft, move around in the draft, or acquire a high potential player from another team who has underachieved to now.

This draft seems to have considerable depth of solid candidates in the area from the 2nd to the early 5th rounds and the late picks might be seen as trade pieces to focus the team's attention in the middle rounds.

My belief is they will trade away at least 3 picks this draft.

titan3131

Reaction score
I think we will move up once using a 4th and move down somewhere else and get back an 11th pick.

two dog

Reaction score
I don't think Schneider just throws darts at the wall picking lots of guys. He always seems to have a sound
rationale for picking players that you have never heard of or who are just on the fringe of your memory.

However, I believe there is a better than even chance of a trade up in the second, depending on who is
available and how many spots they have to move to get him. It will almost certainly take the earliest of the
fourth rounders as well, possibly, as a late pick or two if the move is for more than, say, ten places.

If the Seahawks do trade up it would almost certainly be targeting a for-sure wideout, don't you think ?

original poster

Reaction score
two dog":10nd0ocv said:
I don't think Schneider just throws darts at the wall picking lots of guys. He always seems to have a sound rationale
for picking players that you have never heard of or who are just on the fringe of your memory.

However, I believe there is a better than even chance of a trade up in the second, depending on who is available
and how many spots they have to move to get him. It will almost certainly take the earliest of the fourth rounders as well as, possibly, a late rounder or two depending on how far up they have to go.

If the Seahawks do trade up it would almost certainly be targeting a for-sure wideout, don't you think ?

If they trade up it will 100% be for a WR.

It'll be one of those things they have a plan for and will happen on the day dependant on what talent drops into the second. No way will they trade up to day one.

netskier

Reaction score
I think it depends on John's calculation results, and we don't know anything about his calculations or his data. We don't have even enough info to guess well.

LTH

Reaction score
jammerhawk":24l03471 said:
With the team having 11 picks they could make this draft what is the likelihood the team will trade away picks to improve draft position, acquire depth, or stock earlier picks for next seasons's draft?

To me with the team having 5 picks they could make between rounds 2 & 4, and a further 6 picks they could make between rounds 5 & 7 the likelihood of the team drafting quite a few players who won't have a likely shot of cracking the 53 man roster seems pretty high. JS likes lots of picks and takes the view that with more picks he's got a better shot of finding keeper players but this year with the team having very few roster spots that are open it seems to me that there appears more than ever a likelihood that the team may trade up or trade away numerous draft picks to move around during the draft to acquire the players they have targeted.

I know there have been discussions here of a trade up to acquire a premier WR. This could possibly happen but I suspect the team would not trade up into the first round regardless b/c of the contract cost of a 1st round pick. I could see them trade up in the 2nd by trading away a 4th or to move up in the 3rd with the same trade. After that I'd suspect every other draft pick the team has got is able to be traded to stockpile earlier picks for a future draft, move around in the draft, or acquire a high potential player from another team who has underachieved to now.

This draft seems to have considerable depth of solid candidates in the area from the 2nd to the early 5th rounds and the late picks might be seen as trade pieces to focus the team's attention in the middle rounds.

My belief is they will trade away at least 3 picks this draft.

That makes total since to me everything your saying we will see... Carroll and JS are unpredictable...

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
At first I wanted the hawks to trade up, because we all know 11 drafted rookies aren't making the team (not even including UDFAs.)

but after studying the player pool the real sweet spot in this draft is 3rd-5th rounds. I wouldn't even be mad if JS traded down into the 3rd and got another 5th rounder.

The 8 wide receiver prospects are the real highlight at the top of this draft, but they will all be long gone before Seattle has a chance, even trade up range with an extra 4th rounder.

I now want Seattle to make this a meat & potatoes draft. OL, DL, a returner, more OL, and some late round DBs. :D

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The thing is that with 4 of the 11 picks the team has being untradeable as comp picks trading back to our area of pick strength (rounds.4-5-6) only offers the team more possibly wasted picks if the players chosen are unable to be kept at final cutdown time. JS has shown a willingness to be an active trader or to let the draft come to him. This leaves the 6th Rd pick got from the Jets and the 4th Rd pick from NOas being the trade picks or a pick that is well positioned to be traded. I just can't see a trade back from the 2nd or from the 3rd to get more lower picks. With the numbers of players they have on the roster now if all the picks are made the team will only be able to pick 4 UDFA players which seems odd. The depth guys are here already for the most partt.

two dog

Reaction score
I don't know, we lost some quality depth last year. The good news is that any new quality
depth they unearth this year will play for less money than those guys were getting.

Gotta keep feeding that rookie hopper and see what comes out the other end. Could
even be another Jeron Johnson (udfa) Byron Maxwell (6th) who if nothing else, turned
a 6th into an apparent 3rd. It's always exciting to hear Pete talk about a rookie who's
doing because particularly well and if you got a good buy on him, even better.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is a money draft for Seattle. This is the draft that will allow Seattle to be competitive for the next few years if they hit on a few of them. I think they will use almost all of them, and there is no reason to not do that. You can;t worry about who makes or doesn't make the team.

Another thing to consider is UDFA. Look how many of those populate the team.

Largent80

Reaction score
If there is one thing we have learned over the last few years is that all of us have been wrong predicting what they will do.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
netskier":1hebw7fm said:
I think it depends on John's calculation results, and we don't know anything about his calculations or his data. We don't have even enough info to guess well.
We don't have any info at all--the JS draft machine is totally clandestine before the draft. Had you ever heard of Russell Wilson or Richard Sherman before we drafted them?

chris98251

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1d0ksp4p said:
netskier":1d0ksp4p said:
We don't have any info at all--the JS draft machine is totally clandestine before the draft. Had you ever heard of Russell Wilson or Richard Sherman before we drafted them?

Wilson yes, Sherman no.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think they will trade up once and possibly ship out a late round pick for a player much like the Leon/Lendale trades in the 2010 draft.

LTH

Reaction score
At this point the Hawks do not know what they are going to do... It just depends on who falls according to how the Hawks have the players rated on their board and then what oppertunities arise on draft day...

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
LTH":2a1rk9ps said:
At this point the Hawks do not know what they are going to do... It just depends on who falls according to how the Hawks have the players rated on their board and then what oppertunities arise on draft day...
I don't entirely believe that.

For the past couple of drafts, Schneider has said several times that they have targeted a couple of guys that they feel that they "must have".

He had also said that they put together how they believe the draft will fall... as in when the runs on certain player positions will start... and based on their needs and wants... and how they expect the draft to fall, that's how they make their decisions to move down (or up) and when to grab one of the players that they really like.

Trust me... the Pete and John DO know what they are going to do in this draft.