My buddy is a Charger fan and not happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Chargers closer to trading Rivers after reported Mariota workout?"

It's a blockbuster of a trade rumor that just won't go away. Based on Monday's latest developments, the buzz is only going to intensify.

The Tennessee Titans currently holds the No. 2 pick in the first round of the NFL Draft on April 30. The San Diego Chargers hold the 17th pick ... and veteran QB Philip Rivers. Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt served as offensive coordinator in San Diego in 2013 and was a big fan of Rivers.

Last month, Rivers told the San Diego Union-Tribune that he will not re-sign with the club and will instead play out his contract and become a free agent after this season. Rumors have been flying since that the Chargers could move Rivers this offseason, and the Titans and that second overall pick have been a hot target in the rumor mills, the idea being the Chargers would then swoop up Oregon quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota with that pick.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san- ... ans-041315

chris98251

Reaction score
Chargers have big splash history, the Rivers Manning deal, the Tomlinson deal, I could see it happening.

jake206

Reaction score
Phillip Rivers not a Charger... wow?! That would be very strange.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm a Rivers fan except for the game I attended last year. But even then, he showed me why I am a football fan, and not just a Hawk fan.

He deserves better after all his devotion to the Chargers.

aawolf

Reaction score
I love Phillip Rivers (fellow Wolfpacker) and I hope this gets done for his sake. However, If SD gets the second pick and TN gets Phillip and the 17th pick, then this is a bad move for TN. They would get a 5-year starter, but they need help in other areas too. I hope TN could get an additional 2-3 round pick out of the deal to get some defensive players that will help out the franchise, considering that Phillip is in the last year of his contract and TN will have a good shot at him next year without giving up the coveted number 2 pick in the draft. Think about what the Redskins paid for that #2 pick a few years ago.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2ym0ip9l said:
I'm a Rivers fan except for the game I attended last year. But even then, he showed me why I am a football fan, and not just a Hawk fan.

He deserves better after all his devotion to the Chargers.

He's already said he won't play in LA, and isn't going to sign an extension. He's put them in this spot.

drrew

Reaction score
What is with Rivers' refusal to play in LA? Is he just playing to the locals in San Diego?

I don't think Mariota (or Winston for that matter) is a franchise level QB, so if I'm San Diego, I call his bluff and hang onto him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":38881emv said:
Chargers have big splash history, the Rivers Manning deal, the Tomlinson deal, I could see it happening.
Also the Brees trade after they drafted Rivers. I can totally see them do this. It's risky but if Mariota pans out they'll be geniuses.

We've got nobody to blame but us. I like to call it "Russell Wilson Effect".

Status
Not open for further replies.