My latest "new" draft evaluation effort....

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Over the last six years, since I retired, I have followed the Seahawks drafts closely as a hobby. I have often found myself somewhat overwhelmed by the overall number of prospects that need to be weeded through. It is certainly a challenging hobby. I follow the player rankings on several websites, my impression is that cbssports.com is probably the best of the bunch as to reasonably accurate rankings, so I usually use their rankings when trying to project the Seahawk picks. Over the last few years I have tried to come up with concepts that might make the job a little easier. Here is my latest attempt.

Advantages:
(1) Narrows the range of players down to a very significant degree. (2)Allows one to concentrate on players that actually fit the Seahawks in terms of system & need, as well as specific physical and mental characteristics that they are known to desire. (3)Provides one the ability to look at the draft as a whole after you set up each rounds picks and all of the players "of interest" that are actual possibilities to be potentially available to draft at those picks.

Disadvantages: (1) Takes a little time to set up and maintain, but what do I care, I'm retired. (2) A few players may rise and a few players may fall in the days before the draft and of course trades can make differences too. The below example is based on the rankings as of the 04/16/15 update of overall rankings on cbssports.com. My intent is to keep just these players up to date as to their rankings.

Example: (Players that I personally like that are ranked at, -or very near- each Seahawk pick.)

Rd-2, pick #63: RB-Tevin Coleman(58), OC-Honess Grasu(60), DE-Mario Fowler(63), OG-Al Marpet(65), RB-David Johnson(67), OG-Tre Jackson(70), OT-Cedrick Ogbuehi(71), WR/KR/PR-Tyler Lockett(79), DT-Xavier Cooper(80), WR/KR/PR-Tre MvBride(89).

Rd-3, pick #95: OT-Ty Sambrailo(94), DE-Zadarius Smith(97), OG-John Miller(98), DT-Kareem Nunez-Roches(99), TE-Jeff Heurman(102), OC-B. J. Finney(103), OT-Daryl Williams(105), DT-Marcus Hardison(106), RB-Mike Davis(107), DE-Anthony Chickilo(111). DE-Frank Clark(115)

Rd-4, pick #112: FS-Kurtis Drummond(113), WR-Dezmin Lewis(117), CB-Alex Carter(119), OLB-Kwon Alexander(120), OG-Josue Matias(121), OLB-Davis Tull(122), WR/CB-Tony Lippett(123), SS-James Sample(124), DL-Henry Anderson(125), DT-Gabe Wright(127).

Rd-4, picks #130 & #134: (pick two) OG-Mitch Morse(134), OT-Tyrus Thompson(135), WR-Chris Conley(136), WR-Kenny Bell(139), DT-Chris Covington(140), FS/CB-Adrian Amos(141), SS-Clayton Geathers(143), OC-Andy Galic(146), ILB-Ramik Wilson(149), OG-Mark Glowinski(152), DE-Shaquille Riddick(161), DT-Xavier Williams(164).

That is the first five picks and the "meat" of the draft. I have 44 players listed . The last 6 Seahawk draft picks I still have under construction but I think that may add another 40+ players. I see that much easier than looking at lists of 100's.
Fewer players are much easier to track in their ratings as they rise and fall prior to draft day and I see significant benefit from looking at the draft as a whole. By that I mean the combination of players picked. Which players offer the most value in each round? Should I reach down into a later round or up to a higher round to pick a particular player? If so, at what sacrifice? Does the combination of all of the picks seem like optimum players at each position?

How I'm using this concept: Which combination of players is the best & highest value for the Seahawks?
--WR-Tyler Lockett(79), OT-Ty Sambrailo(94), DE-H. Anderson(125), OG-Mitch Morse(134), FS/CB-Adrian Amos(141)
OR
--WR-Dezmin Lewis(117), OT-Daryl Williams(105), DE-S. Riddick(161), OC-Honess Grasu(60), SS-C. Geathers(143),
OR
--WR-Kenny Bell(139), OG-John Miller(98), DE-Mario Fowler(63), OC-Andy Galic(146), CB-Alex Carter(119),
Etc.,
Etc.,
Etc.

So......Then I try to figure out which COMBINATION of players makes for the most value and the best possible draft for the Seahawks. What do Y'all think of this futile effort at evaluating the draft crop? My excuse, there's not much else to do for the next couple of weeks. Can't wait.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like it. I would actually prefer to see more mock draft based around this concept.

It's such a crap shoot to do predict a single mock draft to begin with that it makes a lot of sense to instead show a range of players you like at each round and come up with multiple possible mocks from that list.