Punt Returner needed?.....here's a few.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Who should the Seahawks pick in the upcoming draft as a PUNT returner? Hopefully they can get a guy that has some capabilities to fill that role as well as contribute significantly as a WR/RB/DB and fill two needs at once.

To my thinking, there are several viable options, depending on availability and pick position. IMHO, the BEST option would be drafting WR-Tyler Lockett at #63. He has all of the necessary stats. to justify this pick & is certainly an outstanding “playmaker” that would fit in well (even if he isn’t 7-feet tall). I think RW would absolutely love working with Lockett, they have some "short" similarities. In the event that he is gone when the Seahawks pick at #63, then the other options kind of fall into place depending on round. The much desired “tall” WR, should be available later in the draft as there are several viable options that should be available then.

2014 - FBS - LONG PUNT RETURN'S:.
per: ttp://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/nati ... ort01.html

Ranked #2, WR-Tyler Lockett. (behind only a freshman.)
MY GUESS: ROUND-2, PICK#63?)
8 @ 20+yds, 5 @ 30+yds, 4 @ 40+yds, 2 @ 50+ yds (WOW)
----13 games, 21 punt returns for 402-yds, 2-TD's, 19.14/avg
+ 106 receptions for 1515-yds. & 11-TD's. (#4 in FBS with 106 receptions, #3 in FBS with 1515 yds.)
----NOTE: All Purpose yards, Lockett in 2014 was #3 in FBS (behind only RB's Gordon & Coleman) -1515-rec/402-punt ret/362-KO ret., 2296-total yds, 15.5-avg/play (every time he touches the ball) and 176.6-avg/game.

Ranked #4, RB-Marcus Murphy
(MY GUESS: ROUND 6, PICK #214? - ONLY IF LAST OPTION FOR A PR/KR.)
6 @ 20+yds, 2 @ 30+yds, 1 each @ 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+, 80+, 90+.
-----14 games, 27 punt returns for 281-yds, 1-TD, 10.41/avg
+ 177 rushes for 924 & 4-TD's & 28 receptions for 212-yds & 1-TD.

Ranked #13, WR-Ty Montgomery
(MY GUESS: ROUND 6, PICK #180? - IF NO OTHERS PICKED EARLIER.)
4 @ 20+yds, 4 @ 30+yds, 4 @ 30+yds, 2 @ 50+yds, 1 @ 60+ yds.
-----11 games, 12 punt returns for 238-yds, 2-TD's, 19.83/avg (shared duty.)
+ 61 receptions for 604-yds & 3-TD's.

Ranked #28, WR-Nelson Agholar
(MY GUESS: ROUND-2, PICK #63 - IF LOCKETT IS GONE?)
3 @ 20+yds, 2 @ 30+yds, 2 @ 40+yds, 1 @50+yds.
-----13 games, 19 punt returns for 197-yds, 2-TD's, 10.37/avg
+ 104 receptions for 1313-yds & 12-TD's.

FCS Candidate for Punt returns (There may be others, who knows.)
WR-Tre McBride,
(MY GUESS: ROUND-3, PICK #95, ONLY IF LOCKETT & AGHOLOR ARE BOTH GONE?)
--FCS stats difficult to find, however, I like McBride as a WR and per the most recent profile update at cbssports.com “Experienced lining up inside and outside. Extensive special teams experience as both a kick returner (23.1 average) and punt returner (11.1) over his career.”

If the Seahawks got 20+/- yards per punt return it would significantly improve field position & be a relief from last years fair catches, short returns, lost yards & drops. Is there any position that can be improved more than PR?
:stirthepot:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ty Montgomery lasting to the 6th round? Wow, I guess with all the WR in this draft it's a possibility.

I'm torn, but I think Lockette should be our first pick considering how important field position is. Especially in the NFCW. Games are won and lost on field position.

Considering his history, Pete Carroll understands this, as does John Schneider. Neon Leon Washington, Golden Tate, Brian *snicker* Walters.

massari

Reaction score
Christine Michael+6th round pick to Vikings for Cordarrelle Patterson could be another option.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":1r4vtp40 said:
Christine Michael+6th round pick to Vikings for Cordarrelle Patterson could be another option.

That move wouldnt make a lot of sense from the Vikings POV .. for one its a loaded draft at RB if they want Peterson's replacement or insurance. Two.. they are better off keeping Patterson than off-loading him for a 6th round pick.

Not to mention.. our track record with acquiring Vikings is not good to say the least. :lol:

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ozf03ko said:
massari":1ozf03ko said:

That move wouldnt make a lot of sense from the Vikings POV .. for one its a loaded draft at RB if they want Peterson's replacement or insurance. Two.. they are better off keeping Patterson than off-loading him for a 6th round pick.

Not to mention.. our track record with acquiring Vikings is not good to say the least. :lol:

Yeah it's also a WR loaded draft too so it could work both ways. Just throwing the possibility out there. Maybe both teams might think these two could benefit from fresh starts elsewhere? Don't really know how the Hawks view Michael though.

And yes, the track record on Vikings WR's is a little concerning. :lol:

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
""Ty Montgomery lasting to the 6th round? Wow""

Ty Montgomery is currently ranked #180-overall/6-th round at cbssports.com.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here's a 7th round flyer or UDFA: WR- Damarr Aultman, Maine

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
""Here's a 7th round flyer or UDFA: WR- Damarr Aultman, Maine""

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't previously heard of this guy. I checked Aultman out and in addition to being a minimally productive wide receiver at a small school he doesn't appear to have experience or production as a punt returner. I know there is confusion associated with the term "returner", but a punt returner is a totally different skill set.

According to the Maine "Blackbears" website, Aultman had 25 Kick Off returns for 625-yds. good for 3-rd in the CAA conference. Seems like he didn't return punts, I think I would just as soon have Walters back.
http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-fo ... amarr_xyeq

I appreciate any help in figuring out the new punt returner for the Seahawks, it's a very critical need IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hey I get there are differences between PRs and KRs. The most notable is the ability to fearlessly securely catch the ball in traffic which was Walters strongest trait. In the end however the ability to return is key and that involves a great deal of physicality, elusiveness, and the ability to read blocks or even set them up running. Leon Washington was equally as talented as a PR as he was a KR using his exceptional lateral agility and strength, He had good speed wasn't sprinter fast, but certainly was quick.

I know the team is is interested in Ty Montgomery by his visit to town and suspect they like him b/c he's got a comparatively high SPARQ score and has demonstrably proven against high level competition he's a very good PR. He is a suspect WR though and will need to make the team with his returning. I really doubt the team will draft one trick PR though so Montgomery will need to show more. He seems to be an early 6th Rd. Guy at pick #181 and so he's worth developing as a WR with his physicality. I mentioned Aultman b/c of his extraordinary athleticism, he's familiar with returning and has amazing quickness and lateral agility with a 3.94 short shuttle. As well he is a top 10 SPARQ athlete which will be noticed by the team. I'd be surprised if the FO is not closely examining him as a late pick sleeper or as a UDFA even though they won't be able to take many undrafted players this year b/c of the roster limits.

These guys have surprised us with some picks since they got here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect the team has also looked at Murphy, Kaelin Clay and few others looking to find a special guy.