Five Rounds of Reaches I could actually see happening

McGruff

Reaction score
Second round: 63rd overall selection - WR Chris Conley, Georgia . . . Yes, the pundits will call this a huge reach, and maybe it is, but Conley has all the earmarks of a Seahawks favorite and a potential star at the position. I've actually moved him up to my 4th ranked WR, although that isn't where he'll go. But he'll out perform most of the guys drafted ahead of him.

Third round: 95th overall selection - DE Frank Clark, Michigan . . . About a round before where he is currently slated to go, but Clark has the length and technique needed to excell at the LEO position.

Fourth round: 112th overall selection# - OG Mark Glowinski, West Virgina . . . Getting closer, but many mocks still have him going undrafted or in the 6th/7th rounds. Too much raw athletic ability to even come close to that value.

Fourth round: 130th overall selection - C Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech . . . He's a project in a zone system after being one of the most powerful drive blockers in college football, but his athletic traits point towards a smooth transition.

Fourth round: 134th overall selection* - OT Rob Crisp, NC State . . . Long and too lean, Crisp needs some time in the gym, but he's got the feet to play LT in the pros.

Fifth round: 167th overall selection - CB Dexter McDonald, Kansas . . . Long athletic CB prospect who bounced from Kansas and back again, but has all the traits the Seahawks look for in an outside corner.

Fifth round: 170th overall selection* - Wr DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech . . . The Seahawks can afford to redshirt Smelter for a year of re-hab before seeing if his competitive nature and raw physicality are enough to make an impact at the next level.

# -- pick acquired in a trade

* -- compensatory selection

Hawks46

Reaction score
What about Waller, that WR from Georgia Tech ? Think the Hawks would be interested in him ?

He's got the size and athleticism, but is raw. I have to wonder if the Hawks would grab him with one of our 4th round picks. i've seen the kid mocked all the way from the 3rd round to the 6th round.

It's so hard to say what they're thinking. I honestly think Matthews is the big wild card here. If the coaching staff thinks he is progressing, they might go with him this year and draft a kid they can develop for better value. If they don't think Matthews is ready, they're going to do with a kid they think can produce now.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawks46":1d24s5e4 said:
What about Waller, that WR from Georgia Tech ? Think the Hawks would be interested in him ?

He's got the size and athleticism, but is raw. I have to wonder if the Hawks would grab him with one of our 4th round picks. i've seen the kid mocked all the way from the 3rd round to the 6th round.

It's so hard to say what they're thinking. I honestly think Matthews is the big wild card here. If the coaching staff thinks he is progressing, they might go with him this year and draft a kid they can develop for better value. If they don't think Matthews is ready, they're going to do with a kid they think can produce now.

I actually had Waller in there instead of Crisp, but thought it was too soon to go back to WR. Don't pay attention to the fact that I picked 3 OL in a row!

I actually think Smelter is the more natural receiver, though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The funny thing is.. with our previous drafts.. even if they took a Conley in R2.. no one is calling it a reach. And if they do.. it would be along the lines of "We thought he was a 4th rounder, but the Seahawks know talent so.. good pick!"

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
WR-Chris Conley: I'm warming up to this pick quickly, helped significantly by the excellent scouting report content at the below site. I've just spent several hours reviewing scouting reports on many players that may be Seahawks possibilities in the draft. The scouting reports include measurements, college stats, combine and some pro day results as well as pretty comprehensive player evaluations and guesses as to rounds taken. Yes, I know it's Yardbarker, which I used to dislike, but I hadn't been there at all this year, their new "spot" deal is a good read. For scouting reports you need to hit the draft drop down box and select scouting reports, enjoy.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... d_18641114

PS: Scouting reports that I found impressive (among others):
DE-Frank Clark:
DE-(developmental) Obum Gwacham:
OG/OC-Shaq Mason:
FB/RB?-Tyler (The Body) Varga:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I wouldn't be horrified by this draft. I'm not a fan of Clark though, give his history.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of Conley except one game. Maybe I should look for more tape. I didn't think 2nd round on what I saw but his measurables are solid.

Shaq Mason is really intriguing. He's a bit short-armed and only pass blocked 25% of plays but he strait up plows people over in the run game on a consistent basis. I'd be really happy with the pick, but I wonder if the transition to the pro game will be smooth? I don't know the Oline game as well as some but it looks like he needs work using his hands better when blocking and he's a bit of a lunger if that makes sense.

I'd easily spend a 5th rounder on Smelter if it looks like he's healing well. He could benefit a year off learning the NFL game and I believe that a rookie who is IRed for his first season it doesn't count against their 4 year contract (could be wrong there).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Those all could happen.

I think Tray Walker is going before the 6th. He's worked out for about half of the NFL teams. Of our list of official visit/workouts, he has visited with 13 other teams (14 total).

Demarious Randle has visited 10 others. Mario Edwards and Vince Mayle 9 other teams.

I'd say Glowinski will go by the 4th. Gibson by the 4th. Randle by the 4th. Those guys seem to be ascending pretty quickly. Mason is my favorite amongst these. His movement and cut blocking ability is easy to see on tape. Georgia Tech uses a hybrid zone/man block scheme and Mason really shines at all of the things we seem to like. He's like a mix of Carpenter and Sweezy in terms of agility and power. I rate him above Morse and Glowinski.

kearly

Reaction score
I think there will be an impact on the draft from the Hardy ruling to some degree. Hardy effectively got punished twice for one crime, one that did not even result in a conviction. NFL teams are probably going to be a bit extra paranoid about drafting guys with domestic violence rap sheets than they were in last year's draft when a domestic violence incident meant two games, not maybe two years.

I do like Frank Clark as a player. I am interested to find out where he ends up being drafted.

original poster

Reaction score
With the talent at WR this draft I don't think we could possibly get a bad one in the second round. I really hope they make the most of it and not hope certain players fall back into the third. I don't like massive gambles when it comes to positions of need.

massari

Reaction score
McGruff":5oq9swsc said:
Second round: 63rd overall selection - WR Chris Conley, Georgia . . . Yes, the pundits will call this a huge reach, and maybe it is, but Conley has all the earmarks of a Seahawks favorite and a potential star at the position. I've actually moved him up to my 4th ranked WR, although that isn't where he'll go. But he'll out perform most of the guys drafted ahead of him.

Third round: 95th overall selection - DE Frank Clark, Michigan . . . About a round before where he is currently slated to go, but Clark has the length and technique needed to excell at the LEO position.

Fourth round: 112th overall selection# - OG Mark Glowinski, West Virgina . . . Getting closer, but many mocks still have him going undrafted or in the 6th/7th rounds. Too much raw athletic ability to even come close to that value.

Fourth round: 130th overall selection - C Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech . . . He's a project in a zone system after being one of the most powerful drive blockers in college football, but his athletic traits point towards a smooth transition.

Fourth round: 134th overall selection* - OT Rob Crisp, NC State . . . Long and too lean, Crisp needs some time in the gym, but he's got the feet to play LT in the pros.

Fifth round: 167th overall selection - CB Dexter McDonald, Kansas . . . Long athletic CB prospect who bounced from Kansas and back again, but has all the traits the Seahawks look for in an outside corner.

Fifth round: 170th overall selection* - Wr DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech . . . The Seahawks can afford to redshirt Smelter for a year of re-hab before seeing if his competitive nature and raw physicality are enough to make an impact at the next level.

# -- pick acquired in a trade

* -- compensatory selection

I wanna hear your WR rankings! Pretty surprising to see Conley as your #4. I'd love to come away with Conley+Smelter but maybe they could gamble on waiting to the 3rd round for him?

Part of me wants to just load up on OL, DL, DB and pick up a couple WR's later on like a Smelter, Montgomery, Waller ect but I think they'll go with who they think is the BPA.

penihawk

Reaction score
Its kinda funny, I really like most of the players on that list as potential Hawks but as our top 7 picks not so much. It must be the always looking for the best deal Jew side of me coming out on this one. Waiting another week to find out we are out in left field on this draft is gonna kill me.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
penihawk":32weg8ic said:
Its kinda funny, I really like most of the players on that list as potential Hawks but as our top 7 picks not so much. It must be the always looking for the best deal Jew side of me coming out on this one. Waiting another week to find out we are out in left field on this draft is gonna kill me.

That's the way it usually works, though, right? Irvin a round early (but we're getting mid first round play from him). Wagner a round early (but we get first round work from him). Wilson a round early (but we get first round work from him). Britt 2 rounds early (but he starts 16 games as a rookie) . . . the list goes on and on.

Watching a ton of Smelter right now, and let me tell you his QB sucks. I've never seen such poor footwork from a QB. Balls that just sail. The upside is that Smelter has had to learn how to climb the ladder to get the ball and make contested catches. He still struggles to bring the ball in at times, but he can go up and get it. He catches the ball away from his body and shows some good routes.

Also, as an option attack, they play him in line a ton, and he holds his own spot blocking LB's and DE's . . . not like a TE by any means, but much better than you'd expect for a WR in those situations.

massari

Reaction score
Great call on Glowinski and Clark. Would've been nice to get Clark in the 3rd without having to give up those picks and get Smelter in the 5th though.