If you had the #1 pick, and you needed a QB...

kearly

Reaction score
Would you draft Mariota or Winston? There are other options of course, like trading the pick or getting Philip Rivers, but for the sake of simplicity, say you have to draft one of these two QBs, which are you getting?

I understand the reasoning behind putting Winston #1. I just think Mariota is the safer bet. At minimum, Mariota has everything he needs to be another Colin Kaepernick. Both QBs are extremely similar in their tools and college experience, except that Mariota is far more polished. And if Mariota can adjust to playing under center, or if the team can scheme an Oregon type of offense, then I think Mariota could very quickly become a top 10 NFL QB.

With Winston, I think he has too many doubts to erase to put him over Mariota, who I think is a safe QB with any team that is competent with the QB position. I'll put it this way, if Mariota went to Philly, would anyone doubt his chances? It's not Mariota that I doubt, it's the team that drafts him that will determine his success.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's really a tough question.

I think Mariota's lack of playing in an NFL system is a bit over blown. People saying they aren't sure if he can throw into tight windows I also think is a big of a stretch, but he has the intangibles you need.

From a talent perspective, Winston is the safer bet. If I'm a GM, I have a big problem with him being a bone head. Look at all the other Bone Heads drafted high: Vince Young, Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, etc. They typically flame out as they don't have the emotional endurance to survive being tested and having all the pressure on them. Thing is, Winston is the safest from an on the field view. He's not scheme specific, has a better arm, and has shown he can make all the throws. If you're drafting 1st overall, you typically need someone to produce.

To me, it comes down to what you have surrounding the QB. Both guys need to be mentored by a veteran QB. I don't think Winston can go to a talent poor team and carry them, as I don't think he's mentally strong enough.

Mariota would be the same; he's never been on a talent poor team, but he has the mental fortitude to pull through it.

If you held a gun to my head: Winston. And I wouldn't like it, but I'd gamble on the character issues being over blown.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mariota and its not even close. As a complete package, his upside is just as high, but he's better at protecting the ball, has great football character, and isn't going to get suspended.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jameis 100 times out of 100.

The only way I'd like Mariota is if he played with Chip. Otherwise, I think he is a total system QB that will be exposed in a typical pro offense.. much like Blaine Gabbert

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Winston is the better NFL QB prospect if only due to his superior throwing mechanics. In terms of accuracy, mechanics, and running style, I can understand Mariota's comparison to Kaepernick. Kaepernick is a bigger man, however, with a much better deep ball. Taking into consideration everything, including the risk of off-the-field issues, Winston's probability of success is higher than Mariota's.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is a super super difficult for me to answer. But ultimately I would probably take Mariota.

Winston is the better talent to me. But if I HAD to take one of them, I don't trust that I'd have the control to reign him in. Winston is not a preparation guy so much as a quick adapter. He seems to have a feeling out phase with a defense and adapts quickly. But I don't think that has any longevity in the NFL. At best, I see him having a Cutler-esk career.

Not a huge fan of Mariota but when I watch him, I have to value him on about the same tier as Teddy Bridgewater. (If this was last year, my answer would be Teddy no brainer). When I watch Mariota play I see some of the running around of Wilson but not the same athleticism. Some of the quiet confidence of Bridgewater, but not the pocket presence or polish. But Mariota has enough polish that I believe I can develop a system that he can function in. I don't view him as a "Tilt the Field" prospect, but I do view him as a functional starter if he's given the support. He's kind of 80% of everything I'd like in my starting QB. Don't love him but can appreciate what he brings.

If I could throw a curve ball into the discussion and bring up my favorite QB prospect in this draft. I'd build my board on getting Hundley instead of those too. I think at worst, you get Kaepernick but I think his ceiling is higher. There is a major concern in him never making line calls in college but I don't know the reason. But the way I see it, I need a strong system for both Hundley and Mariota, and I think Hundley has more upside. And Winston is all talent to me and I just don't see the dedication to tough it out when his confidence is inevitably shaken in the NFL.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone knows my answer, but really it has nothing to do with Mariota.

Off field problems don't concern me with most players. With the QB its different. I would not draft Jameis to be the face of my franchise. Period. So even if I wasn't a big Ducks homer my answer would still be Mariota. I think the floor for Mariota is the good version of Kaepernick. The ceiling is a more athletic Aaron Rodgers. Jameis I see being a Ben Roethlessberger type, but I could also see him completely flaming out.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yxes1122":1prvwelh said:
If I could throw a curve ball into the discussion and bring up my favorite QB prospect in this draft. I'd build my board on getting Hundley instead of those too. I think at worst, you get Kaepernick but I think his ceiling is higher. There is a major concern in him never making line calls in college but I don't know the reason. But the way I see it, I need a strong system for both Hundley and Mariota, and I think Hundley has more upside. And Winston is all talent to me and I just don't see the dedication to tough it out when his confidence is inevitably shaken in the NFL.

Man, i just don't see it with Hundley. I think he's a terrible qb. Good athlete. Bad quarterback. (See Jake Locker) Mentally weak when the pressure is on. I wouldn't even draft him unless i was moving him to tight end.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2x3sq62a said:
Yxes1122":2x3sq62a said:

Man, i just don't see it with Hundley. I think he's a terrible qb. Good athlete. Bad quarterback. (See Jake Locker) Mentally weak when the pressure is on. I wouldn't even draft him unless i was moving him to tight end.

Just to be clear, I don't particularly like any of the QBs this year and given the option I would not take a QB high (or at all probably) this year. But if I was up against a wall and had to take one, I'd take Hundley.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see that much separating Hundley from Mariota. If I could get Hundley in the 2nd Round vs. Mariota in the Top 5, I would take Hundley and the lower risk involved. Hundley could surprise people and be this year's Teddy Bridgewater, though probably not, as he seems to struggle with pressure as much as Kaepernick does.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Man, at this point I'm thinking neither. I know that's not the question, but I'm going to answer it as if was the GM holding the first overall pick. I would take Leonard Williams or trade down. If I'm the GM of a team that is now in a position to win now, I think there are better overall football players that would make contributions to my franchise. If I'm a team like Arizona and either of them slide... then take either (preferably Winston on a team in position to possibly win now.)

Football coaches I speak with here in Orlando (some also being Bucs fans) say Jameis Winston (and it's not even close.) Simply, Mariota is a great athlete/ system QB. Winston has run a pro style offense, has the on-field leadership skills, etc.

I have tried to converse about this to bring up the "safer" pick argument. They're having none of it. It's not an FSU connection they have or hate for Oregon, either.

If I was pressed to pick one or the other, I would probably go with Mariota. But, I would probably not play him year one (unless it's Philly.) I do think Winston could be ready to play this season, but he's going to take his lumps if on a team in re-build mode.

The right choice for Tampa is Winston. They do have some talent and could put something together. I just would make sure he doesn't need to live up to lofty expectations on the field... but, he does off the field. It might be a good situation for Jameis. Lovie Smith might be as good a coach as any for him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Really tough call. I love Winston as a pro style guy. But the interceptions are a huge red flag for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, Mariota is so protective of the ball.

Ultimately, I have to go Mariota. I think he understands not losing games better. I think Winston will be a QB who can Brett Favre his way through the league and win ridiculous games on his own, as well as lose games on his own. Mariota is more consistent and will not lose as many games. If you're a solid built team -- go with Mariota. If you're horribly flawed and likely to never build a solid squad -- go Winston.

drrew

Reaction score
I'm not sold that Mariota will be a star, but he'll be better than Winston, and it's not about the off field Winston stuff.

Winston's 25/18 TD/INT ratio last season was absurdly bad and for me is a huge red flag.

chris98251

Reaction score
Make a trade and get picks, there are QB's out there better then these two.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I would trade the pick for Russell Wilson and pay him the coin he deserves.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":17fq5l48 said:
Man, at this point I'm thinking neither. I know that's not the question, but I'm going to answer it as if was the GM holding the first overall pick. I would take Leonard Williams or trade down. If I'm the GM of a team that is now in a position to win now, I think there are better overall football players that would make contributions to my franchise. If I'm a team like Arizona and either of them slide... then take either (preferably Winston on a team in position to possibly win now.)

Football coaches I speak with here in Orlando (some also being Bucs fans) say Jameis Winston (and it's not even close.) Simply, Mariota is a great athlete/ system QB. Winston has run a pro style offense, has the on-field leadership skills, etc.

I have tried to converse about this to bring up the "safer" pick argument. They're having none of it. It's not an FSU connection they have or hate for Oregon, either.

If I was pressed to pick one or the other, I would probably go with Mariota. But, I would probably not play him year one (unless it's Philly.) I do think Winston could be ready to play this season, but he's going to take his lumps if on a team in re-build mode.

The right choice for Tampa is Winston. They do have some talent and could put something together. I just would make sure he doesn't need to live up to lofty expectations on the field... but, he does off the field. It might be a good situation for Jameis. Lovie Smith might be as good a coach as any for him.

Good post.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":30hzfuqk said:
I would trade the pick for Russell Wilson and pay him the coin he deserves.

I like what you did there.

JSeahawks":30hzfuqk said:

I want to like Hundley. He gives some of the best interviews I've seen from a college QB; he has a future in broadcasting if nothing else. Very Smart. Seems genuinely down to earth. A nice person.

But like you said, he plays QB like it isn't his natural position. I think I'd compare him more to Tjack. I think he will be a competent backup for the right kind of team, simply because of his tools and his smarts. I think he makes decent sense for Seattle, actually.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
If I needed a QB I wouldn't draft Mariota. He's no where near ready to play.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":r4o27p1j said:
Yxes1122":r4o27p1j said:

Hundley is an athletic QB, he's an athlete playing QB. Big difference and not good. I don't think Hundley amounts to much, could be decent backup eventually though

Fade

Reaction score
I would draft Mariota and install a Chip Kelly offense, unfortunately bad NFL teams are stupid. They will square peg round hole him.

I'm rooting for Mariota to succeed, but he will be Alex Smith+ at best if he can get through the first few rough years being in the dregs of the NFL.

Jameis Winston will be a horrible QB.

NFL teams are so desperate for QBs with pro style backgrounds they are pushing him up the board.