I LOVE Sammie Coates, War Eagle

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on players so far this year but I think I'm going to stick with my first love, Sammie Coates. He's the Marshawn Lynch of wide receivers, a rocked up bruiser who tosses DBs on the ground with his own brand of "Get off me!"

[ Side note: Some people say that his QB wasn't that good and that it effected Coates play, but I disagree. I believe Nick Marshall was a pretty good QB as College QBs go, with a quick release that just flicked the ball downfield. In 2014 he had a 61% completion percentage, throwing for 2500 yards, 20 TDs and 7 INTs, on a running team. He also ran for quite a few yards. I would love to see us draft Nick Marshall in the 5th round as a DB and possible backup QB. His combine numbers were unreal! http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552575 ]

Now back to Sammie Coates!! :th2thumbs:

[youtube]8L0SVbaC_T4[/youtube]

[youtube]jjNlBSYljN4[/youtube]

Sammie Coates combine (what is in that War Eagle Water?) was Off the Charts!

6'1" Arms 33-3/8" Weight 212# Hands 9-3/8"

40 Yard Dash: 4.43

225# Reps: 23 (Top Performer), Vertical 41" (Top Performer), Broad Jump 131" (Top Performer)

3-Cone Drill: 6.98 seconds, 20-Yard Shuttle: 4.06 seconds (Top Performer), 60-Yard Shuttle: 11.81 seconds

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552470

He knows the value of a running game and with his muscular build, and some coaching could be a great run blocker at the wide receiver position. Like Tom Cable says, "We'll run it down their throats, then throw it over their heads."

With Sammie Coates on the field, you can run or pass.

From CBS Sports:

"Strong upper body to fight off tacklers with a heavy stiff arm?dangerous after the catch with the plant-and-go burst to be slippery and elude defenders, shows the lower body explosion to elevate and highpoint, quick hands to make natural adjustments and handle fastballs, physical blocker with room to grow in this area.

Genuine personality who won't find trouble off the field, averaged 21.4 yards per catch in college, proving to be a threat before and after the catch, set a school-record with 206 receiving yards in the 2014 Iron Bowl at Alabama."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... mie-coates

It would be fun to steal him right in front of Bellicheck. "Bill Belichick watches Sammie Coates closely at Auburn pro day"

Interview with Mike Mayock on this page, he's a great kid with a great attitude that would fit right in on this team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rn-pro-day

SBNation, Patriots site Mock Draft:

64. Patriots: Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn

New England Patriots blog Pats Pulpit

"Knopping: The Patriots entered this draft with a need for a premier cornerback and interior lineman. They also could stand to improve their defensive tackle rotation and wide receiver depth. After taking Carl Davis in the first round, the hope was for one of the starting-caliber cornerbacks to fall to 64, but unfortunately that's not how the board played out. Still, top-quality interior linemen are available in the third round, so there was an opportunity to take a game-changing wide receiver. Coates is one of the premier deep threats in the draft and elevated his play against the top competition.

Dan Kadar, SBNation.com: If Coates is catching the ball, this is a good choice. The big knock on Coates is that his hands are inconsistent. He's the classic "drop the easy ones" wideout. But when he catches the ball, look out. In three seasons at Auburn, Coates averaged more than 20 yards per reception and can really take the top off a defense. As dynamic as Coates may be, though, there are more reliable receivers on the board. Jamison Crowder of Duke and Tyler Lockett of Kansas State come to mind. Florida State guard Tre' Jackson, whom the Patriots brought in for a visit, also makes sense here"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... d-patriots

WalterFootball Scouting Reports:

"Coates didn't produce as much as he was capable while at Auburn because the team favored the ground game. He caught 42 passes in 2013 for 902 yards with seven touchdowns. Coates had 34 receptions for 741 yards and four touchdowns in 2014 and faced some double coverage. The senior lit up Alabama (5-206) though. If Coates had played in a different offense, he easily would have produced a lot more. At the Senior Bowl, Coates showed some potential to run the short to intermediate routes while using his size to his advantage.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015scoates.php

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nick Marshall at the Senior Bowl:

"While Marshall certainly looked out of place, at times -- he was hesitant in run support, for example -- he showed impressive fluidity when covering the South's receivers, including Miami speedster Phillip Dorsett, who may just be the fastest player in this year's game.

The switch wasn't entirely unexpected. Prior to leading Auburn to the BCS title game against Jameis Winston and Florida State a year ago, Marshall played cornerback at Georgia. He'd been training at cornerback at the EXOS facility in Pensacola, Fla., in preparation for the Senior Bowl and NFL and stated as much. Still, Marshall had been expected to remain a passer -- rather than a pass defender -- this week.

"I'm coming [to the Senior Bowl] to finish out as a quarterback but I already got my mind made up what position I want to play, and I'm going to move over there," Marshall said prior to Tuesday's practice. "I'm going to play cornerback.""

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... itch-to-cb

Fade

Reaction score
Sammie Coates would be perfect.

Jimmy Graham is bracketed, all other receivers have 1 on 1 with no safety help. Wilson throws deep to Coates, Touchdown.

original poster

Reaction score
Is he anticipated to go in the second round or?

He certainly looks impressive with great stats!

McGruff

Reaction score
I like Coates a lot. I see him going in the late 2nd/early 3rd. The nice thing for us is that he fits our offense well. He's used to playing in a run first offense, so he's not a stat whore. He can make the most out of his receptions, which is a key trait Seattle looks for . . . the ability to create the explosive play. And he's a quality run blocker on the edge.

Largent80

Reaction score
If he falls that far I would expect JS to be on it. But the only people I have ever been right on them picking was Wilson and Tate

penihawk

Reaction score
If we stay put at 63 and he is on the board I would hope they take a long look at putting his name on the card. That guy is put together and one of the best deep ball receivers in the draft. I won't be surprised if he makes it to 63.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Like both Sammie Coates and Nick Marshall and would be exciting to see either or both drafted by the Hawks.

titan3131

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3qmewfv1 said:
Like both Sammie Coates and Nick Marshall and would be exciting to see either or both drafted by the Hawks.

personally I would like to get corey grant as well for KR/Pr competition and RB!

3 Auburn players? sure

titan3131

Reaction score
[vine]MPF7p6rVMWL[/vine]

I literally just pooped myself MAKE SURE YOU SEE 3:06 on that FIRST VIDEO. BEAST MODE STIFF ARM. IM SOLD I WANT HIM.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Coates be a good WR at the next level. He's a great athlete .. but man is he raw. He needs a lot of work on route running and his hands are very suspect at times. The Auburn offense is a dream for athletic WR's .. so his flaws were much more manageable. I am not a big fan of his as far as the Seahawks are concerned.

Nick Marshall on the other hand.. unless you're taking a 7th round flier on him.. no thanks. Any other year, he doesn't even get drafted, it just so happens corner is a very weak position this year.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":a5h0l95m said:
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Coates be a good WR at the next level. He's a great athlete .. but man is he raw. He needs a lot of work on route running and his hands are very suspect at times. The Auburn offense is a dream for athletic WR's .. so his flaws were much more manageable. I am not a big fan of his as far as the Seahawks are concerned.

Nick Marshall on the other hand.. unless you're taking a 7th round flier on him.. no thanks. Any other year, he doesn't even get drafted, it just so happens corner is a very weak position this year.

I disagree on this. I believe any other year he goes in the 7th because you don't risk that kind of athlete/prospect getting away as someone else's UDFA.

Sure he will take some coaching, but this team has done it before and that's the kind of player you draft late. 6'1" 32 + " arms, 9+" hands. Look at how Jeremy Lane has developed. I think he would be the perfect fit in the LOB after a year as a backup.

And I believe that Coates is perfect for our offense. That stiff arm would get his team mates fired up much the way a big hit does.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":19nasbri said:
And I believe that Coates is perfect for our offense. That stiff arm would get his team mates fired up much the way a big hit does.

If he catches the ball.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I've been considering Sammie Coates with our 2nd round pick for a little bit now.

He's an obvious down the field threat which we currently lack, but his Run After Catch and blocking ability fits perfectly into our WR screen game, which is currently and has always been awful. Pete and Bevell want to include it in the offense but we just don't have the players to be effective with it.

Add to the fact that everyone LOVES this guy's attitude and character and that there is a big drop off of talent at receiver after the 2nd round,,,yeah it makes a lot of sense if they want to upgrade the WR group.

Fade

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":21xcy02c said:
I've been considering Sammie Coates with our 2nd round pick for a little bit now.

He's an obvious down the field threat which we currently lack, but his Run After Catch and blocking ability fits perfectly into our WR screen game, which is currently and has always been awful. Pete and Bevell want to include it in the offense but we just don't have the players to be effective with it.

Add to the fact that everyone LOVES this guy's attitude and character and that there is a big drop off of talent at receiver after the 2nd round,,,yeah it makes a lot of sense if they want to upgrade the WR group.

I agree. I think his attitude would mesh really well with RW. He is not a perfect prospect by any means, but I believe he still has his best football in front of him. If you focus on his positives they out weigh the cons.

+ Athletic enough to win 1 on 1. (Huge skill set need for Hawks.)
+ Great run after the catch ability (Huge void left by Golden Tate.)
+ Diligent hard worker. (Fits team environment.)
+ 41inch Vertical (Can go up and get it.)
+ Physical blocker coming from a run first program (Fits team environment.)

- Route running.
- A bit of a body catcher.
- Drop Issues ala Jermaine Kearse / Kelvin Benjamin
- Could use body better to shield defenders on catches.
- Spread System may struggle picking up the play book in 1st year.

His is raw no doubt, but his negatives can be coached up.

pugs1

Reaction score
IMO the drop thing with Coates is overrated. He does body catch a lot which leads people to say he's not a natural hands catcher. Seattle needs a big play home run threat WR and Coates is a perfect fit and chunk play monster! The other WR who could fill the bill is Devin Smith OSU who is only six foot tall but will stretch the field and put fear into the defense. Either player makes perfect sense for Seattle @ 63!

Coates averaged over 21.8 yards per catch last year while Smith averaged 28.2

pugs1

Reaction score
Coates is bigger and a better athlete but Smith is more polished. I think both are great fits for the Seahawks. IMO I would try and trade up for Smith if he fell to 50. I wouldn't trade up for Coates but would pull the trigger on Coates @ 63. If they both are gone I would go with the highest OL player on the board.

Seafan

Reaction score
I still don't think the Hawks value receivers like the fans. Coates may be available at #63 and the Hawks may pass him. That may leave the fans angry or scratching their heads but it's a real possibility.

IMO the Hawks targeted PRich because of his speed with the thought they may have to move Harvin. I think they also appreciated his return skills and with the loss of Tate it made some sense.

If the season showed anything it was the Hawks could repeat without any serious threats at WR.

Their obvious biggest need in the passing game was a red zone demon like Jimmy Graham. It's possbile the Hawks may go after one of these top 8 receivers but I would be a little surprised if they do.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He looks like a Hawk to me. I'm not sure how I feel about him, but his ceiling is so high for a guy that could be available in the late 2nd. Physically, he looks like the love child of Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson.