Tony Pauline interview on Seattle/Dorial Green-Beckham

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Amazing you are getting some big shots to interview for your blog! Good job man! I follow the draft community closely, maybe as close as you do, Rob, and it seems like there's a lot more access to some very smart draft guys available for interviews. I'd be cool to see in the future more of this from experts like Tony, but also some interviews from some amateur draft experts who can give a outsider's perspective on the Seahawks draft.

Tough hearing DGB is climbing a bit too high to just trade our 2nd and a 4th to get him. Now it's looking like it'll take our 2nd, 4th, and next years 3rd (which I would easily do btw).

massari

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1aoq8uh9 said:
Tough hearing DGB is climbing a bit too high to just trade our 2nd and a 4th to get him. Now it's looking like it'll take our 2nd, 4th, and next years 3rd (which I would easily do btw).

Iove DGB but would you rather have him over both Coates AND Conely(if we're just talking WR's)? Because that's realistically the type of players they can get in the 2nd and 4th round and I'm just talking WR's.

Tough decisions, but I guess that's what they get paid the big bucks for.

McGruff

Reaction score
massari":38y4ljj5 said:
Recon_Hawk":38y4ljj5 said:

Iove DGB but would you rather have him over both Coates AND Conely(if we're just talking WR's)? Because that's realistically the type of players they can get in the 2nd and 4th round and I'm just talking WR's.

Id probably take Conley over DGB straight up.

massari

Reaction score
McGruff":3p4yr7ga said:
massari":3p4yr7ga said:
Recon_Hawk":3p4yr7ga said:

Id probably take Conley over DGB straight up.

:2: Yeah I thought you would because in another thread you had Conley ranked as your #4 behind I'm assuming Cooper,White,Parker?

Curious where you rank DGB and what do you see in Conley to have him that high when most "experts" have him lower? If you don't mind me asking!

McGruff

Reaction score
Honestly, my list is on another computer and I can't remember past the top 4 . . .

1. Kevin White
2. Amari Cooper
3. Breshard Perriman
4. Chris Conley

The 5th might have been any one of Parker, DGB or Coates . . .

McGruff

Reaction score
On Conley I see a guy with all the physical traits, and when I watch game film I don't see a guy with glaring weaknesses. A tweak here or there on route running is about all. Beyond that I see a natural hands catcher with great attack on the ball.

Most importantly for us I see a guy who runs like a RB in the open field.

I think he's a classic case of a guy whose college system limited his production.

penihawk

Reaction score
The Godfather Gil Brandt has Conley as his 9th rated wr and 52nd overall. DGB is his 10th wr and 55th overall. Gil is usually money with his top 100 players every year so I'm thinking Conley won't last to our 3rd rd pick and maybe not even 63.

I agree that Conley is much more than a 4.3 straight line speed guy. The more I watch his tape, the more I see a guy that could have put up some huge production in a pass happy offense. My dream of stealing him in the 4th is way over.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
massari":32tr0f64 said:
Recon_Hawk":32tr0f64 said:

That is tough. Probably not. I think Coates at #63 makes sense. Watching more of Conely, if I'm a GM, it starting to make sense he's worth drafting that high, too. He could easily be drafted before our 3rd rd pick. I think Seattle could draft him in the 2nd even. I see why McGruff and others might rate him so high.

Physically he's he's closer to julio jones than any other receiver in this draft. An 1" short and 7 lbs lighter but athletically they are equal which is nuts to think about. He translates that to the field really well too. He's a dangerous running with the ball in his hands. He can juke in the open field and still blow past you which you don't see much at 207 pounds. I wrote in another post that they need a RAC guy who can play within the WR screen game and I think he fits that role well.

There's not a lot of him on catches on tape though. Georgia was really effective spreading the ball around so he wasn't fed the ball much even when they probably should have. It makes a lot of sense bringing him in for a visit and find more out about his game. Can he return kicks?? I bet he could.

With DGB, I think he's just makes the game easy for himself. His ability to make fade route look like a normal play reminds me of Lebron James can make a towering dunk seem like he barely jumped. In Seattle's sometimes minimal passing offense, a redzone threat who can also make plays down the field would be big addition to the passing game.

kearly

Reaction score
As mentioned in the article, there are some eery similarities here to Josh Gordon coming out of college. Both got suspended their last real year in college before transferring to another team they'd never play a down for, both have Calvin Johnson type tools, both are incredibly risky personality wise, and both will probably cost their teams 2nd round picks. Both like weed way too much.

I thought Gordon was a visibly better receiver coming out compared to DGB's youtube stuff. Gordon was polished and sudden. DGB just kind of seems like an elite size + speed guy right now.

On the other hand, DGB's issues off the field worry me less. Yes, he committed serious crimes, but it's entirely possible it was a one time mistake that he might grow from, the same way Bruce Irvin did. He has not had the same kind of chronic (no pun intended) issue with weed that Gordon ended up having, at least not yet.

I totally buy Seattle's interest. In a dumbed down offense like Seattle's that have him running red line routes all game long, it's not a stretch to think he could be as effective per target as Josh Gordon was in 2013.

Imagine if, best case scenario, this guy is like a Randy Moss type threat down the sideline. Factor that with Wilson, Lynch and Graham, and suddenly our pedestrian base group of pass catchers are going to be getting open an awful lot.

If Seattle likes him, they shouldn't be afraid to go up and get him. I kinda doubt that any of the top rated outside WRs are going to last to #63 anyway. At best, you're probably looking at an undersized slot guy like Lockette or Dorsett at #63 if the Hawks stay put.

penihawk

Reaction score
DGB- A possible Brandon Marshall type star that hasn't played football in over a year with a rapsheet that includes domestic and weed. Has been tagged as being lazy at times.

Chris Conley- A freaky athlete that played on a team that ran the ball 230 more times than they threw it and for 750 more yds. He had 36 catches on 54 targets and only 1 drop. 8 of those went for TD'S and 28 went for first downs. He was a 4.0 student in H.S. and a Deanslist student at Georgia. A team leader and a hard worker on the practice field.

Looking at the two there is no comparison imo. With DGB you will need all the stars to align for this guy to reach his potential and trusting him could be exhausting to teammates and FO. With Conely you have a bright kid with incredible talent and physical skills that will work to get to stardom and be the ultimate teammate.

I won't be pissed if they take DGB but I know which of the two I would be doing the most maneuvering to make sure he was on our roster after next weekend.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The thing I think our coaches want and that we lost with Tate leaving especially, is the beastmode like open field skills. Personally that's why I think Coates is the guy we want. He's a bulldozer with the ball in his hands.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lol at taking Conley straight up over DGB. If Conley didn't run a fast 40 no one would be talking about the dude.

DGB is a Top 10 talent with a rap sheet. Period.

Furthermore.. we can likely draft both players.. we do have two 4th's after all. If they are able to trade up, highly doubt both 4ths are involved..

titan3131

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":111z4tsm said:
lol at taking Conley straight up over DGB. If Conley didn't run a fast 40 no one would be talking about the dude.

Furthermore.. we can likely draft both players.. we do have two 4th's after all. If they are able to trade up, highly doubt both 4ths are involved..

read this if you havent

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/DGB/

And we cant trade comp picks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":323urfaj said:
Hasselbeck":323urfaj said:

read this if you havent

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/DGB/

And we cant trade comp picks.

Right.. I was talking about the Saints 4th and our regular 4th.. not the comp pick. Either way I can see Conley lasting until the end of R4 if they really want him

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Titan - that DGB article was fantastic.. my draft man-crush is growing. We have to go get this guy. Just have a feeling Pete Carroll is the PERFECT coach for him.

titan3131

Reaction score
wow brain fart moment of the 4th round stuff! lol I imagine if we have to give up more picks to trade up we will probably still trade down somewhere to get more picks again.

But yeah I was shocked that BR actually had a quality article.

Personally the thing I hated about it was when they talk about the heart beat and say the beating sounds. t other wise it was top notch.

massari

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure McGruff is the only one with real knowledge/opinions as most others are just going by where the "experts" are taking these guys and putting their own little spin on it. Could be wrong though. :stirthepot: