Shane Ray?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't know anything outside the Pac-12. Shane was suppose to be a 1st round prospect and after his failed drug test yesterday, he may fall out of the 1st round and potentially into the 4th. I saw the NFL.com report on him and they compared him to Clem. If available in the 2nd, do we take him?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Good question for Pete and John... but I don't see him dropping all the way to the bottom of the 2nd round.

titan3131

Reaction score
if he fell all the way to us... even if we traded up to grab dgb already we would trade up again.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
There's no way he falls to the 4th round :lol:

He was a Top 10 prospect.. at worst he falls to the 15-20 range.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Do prospects who get busted for drugs prior to being drafted and signed to an NFL team still enter the drug program? If so, from what point do their actions fall under NFL jurisdiction? Is it during college or after announcing their intention to declare?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1cqp4mv0 said:
Do prospects who get busted for drugs prior to being drafted and signed to an NFL team still enter the drug program? If so, from what point do their actions fall under NFL jurisdiction? Is it during college or after announcing their intention to declare?

Not until they are officially on an NFL roster. So no.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Maybe the closest comparable was Tyrann Mathieu a few years ago. But he was kicked off of the LSU team all-together, and plays a position (safety) that is rarely a top 15 pick. He only dropped until the 3rd round, and that was after Mathieu admitted having a MAJOR issue with weed. Ray is a consensus top 15 pick at a high-demand position

This latest issue had definitely cost Ray a top 10-15 draft slot. There are also injury rumors swirling around right now. With so many teams needing a pass rusher, I cannot see Ray falling out of the first round - worse case scenario for him would be to fall to the top of the second round

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":kje8tva5 said:
Hawkspur":kje8tva5 said:

Thanks. So not quite the same risk to the team drafting him. I guess he won't fall to 63 then!

titan3131

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":34rahicw said:
Maybe the closest comparable was Tyrann Mathieu a few years ago. But he was kicked off of the LSU team all-together, and plays a position (safety) that is rarely a top 15 pick. He only dropped until the 3rd round, and that was after Mathieu admitted having a MAJOR issue with weed. Ray is a consensus top 15 pick at a high-demand position

This latest issue had definitely cost Ray a top 10-15 draft slot. There are also injury rumors swirling around right now. With so many teams needing a pass rusher, I cannot see Ray falling out of the first round - worse case scenario for him would be to fall to the top of the second round

I wanted Tyrann Mathieu as a Nb/FS depth so bad.

Mojambo

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":24q5xyu4 said:
Hasselbeck":24q5xyu4 said:
Hawkspur":24q5xyu4 said:

This is not correct. Shane Ray will be enrolled in the NFL's substance abuse program.

Yep. He's in the behavioral stage of the program.

And he'll be there in the mid-second.

titan3131

Reaction score
Easy trade up for shane ray @54 with lions.

they have no picks in rounds 4 + 5

Hawks46

Reaction score
So, where does he fall to, now that he just got busted for misdemeanor marijuana possession ?

He wasn't impaired and didn't go to jail, but got a citation. This shows the kid just can't help himself. I can definitely see 3rd round now.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Seems a bit harsh that you have to enter the substance abuse program for mere possession.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3rj71c0b said:
Seems a bit harsh that you have to enter the substance abuse program for mere possession.
Interesting comment... what would you do instead?

Largent80

Reaction score
Are those the real questions?....I would ask, why in the hell are you messing with ANY drugs with the draft mere days away?...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":23vs25o1 said:
So, where does he fall to, now that he just got busted for misdemeanor marijuana possession ?

He wasn't impaired and didn't go to jail, but got a citation. This shows the kid just can't help himself. I can definitely see 3rd round now.

He's still a first rounder. Without question. High 2nd round AT worst. There is no way he falls two rounds because of this

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1l6j1x76 said:
Hasselbeck":1l6j1x76 said:
Hawkspur":1l6j1x76 said:

This is not correct. Shane Ray will be enrolled in the NFL's substance abuse program.

I stand corrected.. I thought it was only after they were drafted but I guess it's not the case anymore.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3rnmiobk said:

It is my understanding that because he decalred, anything that happens since the end of the college season qualifies him for disciplinary action.

He will go into the NFL automatically enrolled in the substance abuse program, and the next incident will garner him a suspecnsion

McGruff

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":29rhx2gl said:

If you read Ray's life story you will see a guy (similar to DGB) who very recently seemed to have overcome significant demons . . . but this flips the script back considerably.

This is a guy who grew up with a violent streak due to anger issues. He was kicked out of peewee football due to over aggressiveness. His anger continued well into his college career, where he also struggled with partying and most significantly was a very self-oriented player . . . he almost got kicked off the Missouri football team for being all about himself.

But over the course of the last year he seemed to put all that to bed. he seemed to have found some measure of peace . . . but this decision and bust will cause a lot of teams to revisit that past ande decide its not wirth the risk of repeating.

He's a phenom on the field. he plays like a more polished Bruce Irvin. What Bruce could've been with better college coaching and scheme fit. His athleticism is off the charts. IF he can overcomoe this latest act of stupidity, he ticks a lot fo the right boxes . . . but will now be seen as a significant risk.

I can't see him falling to the 4th, but out of the 2nd? Sure.

Latest posts