Draft Needs 2015 - Public Service ANNOUNCEMENT

titan3131

Reaction score
As hawks fans we all see WR and OLINE as HUGE NEEDS and Im not going to address them atm. Cb is on peoples minds mainly because of the sb but its not as bad as most people think. Otherwise for this year the majority is very happy and comfortable with the roster.

I purpose to you that you SHOULDNT BE.
The strength of our defense starts with our young secondary, we have them all locked up and healing there is no worries outside of Lane and Tharold + the depth.

Next the LB's. We love Wagz we will lock him up, KJ is decent and can shine to great at times or lets the chargers school him like a 1st grader. Irvin could be gone and is peaking - his age is a consideration... KPL was coming along nicely.

It really seems to befuddle me how so many fans are resting on the laurels of the DLINE.

Our teams montra is always compete. Not be great and expect it to continue without bringing in more competition. In 2016 we could see Williams, Mebane, Rubin, Mcdaniel, Dobbs, King All gone by cuts or contracts ending. THAT IS OUR MEAT.

Not too mention the age of avril and bennett. Our oldest area of our team is the Dline, and that is where we need to get youngest ASAP.

Do you trust Scruggs? Marsh? (Optomistic!) J.Williams? too keep our defense ELITE? J.hill was showing his stuff but he is basically the only young Dline we have seen anything from that was capable of being a core player. Depending on how Rubin does I would like to resign him.

At some point we are going to move on from the mainstays of the ELITE DEFENSE that Carroll has assembled. The regime has been trying. We have spent a lot of picks on Dline players that were hurt or just havent panned out. We need to hit NOW, otherwise after this year there will be a noticeable dropoff.

TLDR version: If your not drafting at least 1 DT in your mocks your doing it wrong.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
titan3131":sh21rruu said:
It really seems to befuddle me how so many fans are resting on the laurels of the DLINE.

Our teams montra is always compete. Not be great and expect it to continue without bringing in more competition. In 2016 we could see Williams, Mebane, Rubin, Mcdaniel, Dobbs, King All gone by cuts or contracts ending. THAT IS OUR MEAT.

Not too mention the age of avril and bennett. Our oldest area of our team is the Dline, and that is where we need to get youngest ASAP.

Agreed. I've consistently felt that we will double dip at DL this draft.

Although I'm more inclined to think that Seattle will continue to try to hit on the next Avril/Bennett. Those players are the meal tickets on the unit. And as the current cap distribution shows, they are also by far the most expensive.

If I'm armchair GMing, I'm pretty much only looking for rush DT/ends via the draft. And remaining content that I can fill the big body/meat DTs via generic UFA pool. The cost is very minimal, and just hitting on ONE quality rush DE/3 Tech on a rookie deal finances 3+ generic DTs via UFA.

Getting the next Avril/Bennett should be top priority for Seattle in the next 2 years for this unit.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2z65hzi6 said:
Although I'm more inclined to think that Seattle will continue to try to hit on the next Avril/Bennett. Those players are the meal tickets on the unit. And as the current cap distribution shows, they are also by far the most expensive.

If I'm armchair GMing, I'm pretty much only looking for rush DT/ends via the draft. And remaining content that I can fill the big body/meat DTs via generic UFA pool. The cost is very minimal, and just hitting on ONE quality rush DE/3 Tech on a rookie deal finances 3+ generic DTs via UFA.

Getting the next Avril/Bennett should be top priority for Seattle in the next 2 years for this unit.

That's my thinking, as well. I'm not so worried about replacing a 2-down DT as I am adding pass rushers.

Seattle has shown they like to take advantage of the free agency market by adding veterans DTs (Alan Branch, Tony McD, Kevin Williams, Rubin) who play well within the system.

Largent80

Reaction score
We lost J.Johnson in FA and I think that spot needs addressing as well as D-Line. O-Line as well..(every year).

Seems like we always take an LB somewhere. Nothing will surprise me with these guys after 5 years however.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
I agree largent. I also think that the oline will be addressed but none of them may start.

Dline especially early is a place that can have an immediate impact. The sweet spots are round 2 + 5.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1rduxajt said:
We lost J.Johnson in FA and I think that spot needs addressing as well as D-Line. O-Line as well..(every year).

Seems like we always take an LB somewhere. Nothing will surprise me with these guys after 5 years however.

In regards to Jeron Johnson.. don't forget Dion Bailey is waiting in the wings.. and he could be an UDFA gem that fills Johnson's spot.

Willyeye

Reaction score
titan3131":e70vka8f said:
As hawks fans we all see WR and OLINE as HUGE NEEDS and Im not going to address them atm. Cb is on peoples minds mainly because of the sb but its not as bad as most people think. Otherwise for this year the majority is very happy and comfortable with the roster.

I purpose to you that you SHOULDNT BE.
The strength of our defense starts with our young secondary, we have them all locked up and healing there is no worries outside of Lane and Tharold + the depth.

Next the LB's. We love Wagz we will lock him up, KJ is decent and can shine to great at times or lets the chargers school him like a 1st grader. Irvin could be gone and is peaking - his age is a consideration... KPL was coming along nicely.

Do you trust Scruggs? Marsh? (Optomistic!) J.Williams? too keep our defense ELITE? J.hill was showing his stuff but he is basically the only young Dline we have seen anything from that was capable of being a core player. Depending on how Rubin does I would like to resign him.

At some point we are going to move on from the mainstays of the ELITE DEFENSE that Carroll has assembled. The regime has been trying. We have spent a lot of picks on Dline players that were hurt or just havent panned out. We need to hit NOW, otherwise after this year there will be a noticeable dropoff.

TLDR version: If your not drafting at least 1 DT in your mocks your doing it wrong.

I've seen a lot of Hawk mockers wanting to see mostly OL and DL. WR picks are sexier, but I think most mockers just want 1- #1WR. My mock has basically 3 OL, 2 DE, and 1 DT. I also have 3 WR's , but my reason for that is to get at least 2 KR/PR's.

2nd…#63- Charles Davis Tull- OLB/Edge…6’3”, 246, 4.57…#1 SPARQ ranking for EDGE rushers
3rd…#95- Tyler Lockett- WR/KR/PR…5’10”, 182, 4.40…Golden Tate replacement; #1 KR/PR
4th…#112- Chris Conley- WR…6’2”, 213, 4.35…#1 SPARQ ranking for WR’s
4th…130- Jarvis Harrison- LG/LT…6’4”, 330, 5.25…great replacement for Carpenter
4th…#134- Ty Montgomery- WR/KR/PR…6’0”, 221, 4.55…competition for Tyler Lockett; top-10 KR/PR
5th…#167- Shaquille Mason- C/G…6’2”, 304, 4.97…versatile, athletic; #17 SPARQ ranking for OL
5th…#170- Mark Glowinski- RG…6’4”, 307, 5.10…lots of potential here; #3 SPARQ ranking for OL
6th…#181- Derrick Lott- DT…6’4”, 314, 4.99…promising prospect
6th…#209- Mark Nzeocha- 4-3 OLB…6’3”, 232, 4.55…#2 SPARQ ranking for Off-LOS LB
6th…#214- Nick Marshall- CB/QB…6’2”, 210, 4.54…Auburn QB…making switch to CB…possible #2 QB
7th…#248- Kristjan Sokoli- DT…6’5”, 290, 4.86…#1 SPARQ ranking for DL
UDFA- Nick Easton- C…6’3”, 303, 5.11…#1 SPARQ ranking for OL

McGruff

Reaction score
Our Dline is by far the oldest position group on the team . . . we need to infuse for injury, depth rotation and future potential across the board.

McDaniel - 30 (10 years)
Mebane - 30 (9)
Avril - 29 (8)
Bennett - 29 (7)
Rubin - 28 (8)
Dobbs - 27 (5)
Smith - 26 (6)

Hill, Scruggs and Williams are all 24, and the baby of the bunch (and youngest guy on the team) is Marsh at 22.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22xz6dbd said:
Largent80":22xz6dbd said:

In regards to Jeron Johnson.. don't forget Dion Bailey is waiting in the wings.. and he could be an UDFA gem that fills Johnson's spot.

Bailey, Shead and don't sleep on Eric Pinkins who like Shead has played CB but probably projects better to safety.

Largent80

Reaction score
JJ was also a special teamer. So was Maragos that we lost the year before and our ST needs an upgrade after last year and NOT just at Punt and kick returner.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
McGruff":7m7qi7gt said:
Our Dline is by far the oldest position group on the team . . . we need to infuse for injury, depth rotation and future potential across the board.

McDaniel - 30 (10 years) AVERAGE
Mebane - 30 (9) PRO BOWLER
Avril - 29 (8) PRO BOWLER
Bennett - 29 (7) PRO BOWLER
Rubin - 28 (8) FRINGE PRO BOWLER ON PROVE IT
Dobbs - 27 (5) BELOW AVERAGE DEPTH
Smith - 26 (6) BELOW AVERAGE DEPTH

Hill, Scruggs and Williams are all 24, and the baby of the bunch (and youngest guy on the team) is Marsh at 22.

And scruggs, williams could still be something or continue to be NOTHING. In 1 year we need above average players to replace Mcdaniel, Mebane. and then the deth needs competition.

I Believe it comes down (not in order)

2 OL
2 DL
2 WR
1 RB
2 DE
1 LB
1 DB

Willyeye

Reaction score
Largent80":2c9mspt2 said:
JJ was also a special teamer. So was Maragos that we lost the year before and our ST needs an upgrade after last year and NOT just at Punt and kick returner.

I agree, but I would add, that a lot of young players that would normally be ST guys were likely injured last year. We have a lot of 1-year and 2-year guys coming back from injuries...maybe they can beef up the ST's a bit. Also, 11 picks in the draft should equate to a lot of new, young talent for special teams.

McGruff

Reaction score
Willyeye":19t5cap8 said:
Largent80":19t5cap8 said:

I agree, but I would add, that a lot of young players that would normally be ST guys were likely injured last year. We have a lot of 1-year and 2-year guys coming back from injuries...maybe they can beef up the ST's a bit. Also, 11 picks in the draft should equate to a lot of new, young talent for special teams.

Yeah, I think between the draft and returning guys like Lane, Simon, Lewis, marsh, etc. our coverage units will be fine.

Latest posts