Trading Back

original poster

Reaction score
I think we are personally going to trade back a fair few of our picks this year in anticipation of next years much deeper draft.

There seems to be added value of 'right now' picks for teams with lots of immediate needs so trading this years 3rd for next years 2nd is totally doable. Do that with the right team and you can 'almost' jump up two picks with one trade.

We have a total of 7 starters currently on IR that should all be set to go for next year, that's a WHOLE draft selection so I really don't think our depth issues are as much as a problem as we're sometimes making out. Granted, injuries will inevitably happen again this coming season so we do need to be aware of that but it's not as if we'd trade all 11 of our picks this year.

We could very easily end up with 5 picks in the top 100 for the 2016 draft with 13/14/15 overall picks in various rounds, again, being the team with the most amount of selections in the NFL.

Opinions?

Basis4day

Reaction score
If they value the players they have on the roster as much as who is available in those rounds then it makes sense. Especially if the players you draft are going to be outplayed and not make the final roster.

Strictly speaking as a selfish fan:

After many years of trading 1st rd picks and stockpiling picks i just want to see them draft some new players and give us something to talk about.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It looks like there should be a fair few players at positions of need who fit the profile of what Schneider and Carroll would be looking for. I'd be surprised to see too much stockpiling for next year.

edit - chances are they'll have a similar, or even better number of picks to work with next season too. Possibly even including a first rounder!

McGruff

Reaction score
The team will have a bead on next year's draft already, but how do WE, the fans, know next year is deeper?

I actually kinda like this draft. There are some weak spots (S, TE, LB, QB) but I think there is a lot of strong depth at WR, RB, OL and DL . . . heck, I even like a lot of the sleepers at CB. The cool thing is that many of those strengths match our needs, and I don't think that s a coincidence.

If we trade back, I'd rather have it be for more picks THIS year. You can never have enough, especially the way the Hawks target high reward players. More hacks means more chances at the grand slam.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With 11 picks in this draft at present one might think that the team may trade some picks away to move up. However, that isn't JS' MO and I'd suspect he'll trade back to attempt to try to align draft position to perceived player draft value. I'm a bit dubious about acquiring future 2016 picks but I suppose it is possible.

If the team doesn't trade up in the 2nd which they could do for exactly the right player, i.e.: DGB; then I could easily see them trading pick #63 for an early 3rd RD pick plus an early 4th which would also involve a pick swap involving their pick #130 or even trading back from pick #95 for another early 4th depending on how the picks made have gone up to then. In the last case of the trade of pick #95 there I could see the team acquiring a 2016 top 100 pick if they didn't get the early 4th.

The one thing these guys have done is be consistently unpredictable except that JS prefers to have more draft picks than fewer; but at some point the roster limits will force a new direction as it is increasingly unlikely the team would be able to keep all of the draft picks made with the number of returning experienced roster players presently that would need to be displaced by rookies. If the team re-signs TJack and drafts 11 players then they only have roster room for 4 or 5 UDFA players before the roster limit of 90 is reached, that will depend upon IR and PUP however, but the odds of draft picks being cut this year is significantly increased. Cue the camp competition! At least the picks looked at will be players the team regards as top 300 players or high upside candidates.

I have a strong feeling the team will move around a bit this draft and will not hesitate to trade away some players or draft picks to achieve incremental position by position depth improvement. I'm dubious the team will trade up but then again they do surprise us every draft.

McGruff

Reaction score
And actually if you compare SPARQ scores of this year's crop to last year's . . . this is a far more athletic class in the trenches and at the skill positions.

Willyeye

Reaction score
original poster":3rhtju6d said:
I think we are personally going to trade back a fair few of our picks this year in anticipation of next years much deeper draft.

There seems to be added value of 'right now' picks for teams with lots of immediate needs so trading this years 3rd for next years 2nd is totally doable. Do that with the right team and you can 'almost' jump up two picks with one trade.

We have a total of 7 starters currently on IR that should all be set to go for next year, that's a WHOLE draft selection so I really don't think our depth issues are as much as a problem as we're sometimes making out. Granted, injuries will inevitably happen again this coming season so we do need to be aware of that but it's not as if we'd trade all 11 of our picks this year.

We could very easily end up with 5 picks in the top 100 for the 2016 draft with 13/14/15 overall picks in various rounds, again, being the team with the most amount of selections in the NFL.

Opinions?

Over the last 2 years, it almost seems like JS/PC use second round picks to get 4th and 6th rounders (Richardson and Britt). Why bother setting themselves up with a mid-1st round pick, when they’ll just pick a 3rd rounder? I get the feeling that JS/PC don’t really care much about 1st or 2nd round picks, or at least not what are considered to be consensus 1st-2nd round picks. True, early on in the JS/PC era, that may have not been the case, but it has been the last couple of drafts. It appears the Hawks will get 4 Compensatory Picks in 2016, so they will once again have 11 picks. As of now the Hawks Compensatory Picks for 2016 are 1- 3rd, 1- 5th, 1- 6th, and 1- 7th. I just don’t really see how stockpiling even more picks for next year will be helpful.

titan3131

Reaction score
Willyeye":2gpznhq7 said:
original poster":2gpznhq7 said:

Opinions?

Over the last 2 years, it almost seems like JS/PC use second round picks to get 4th and 6th rounders (Richardson and Britt). Why bother setting themselves up with a mid-1st round pick, when they’ll just pick a 3rd rounder? I get the feeling that JS/PC don’t really care much about 1st or 2nd round picks, or at least not what are considered to be consensus 1st-2nd round picks. True, early on in the JS/PC era, that may have not been the case, but it has been the last couple of drafts. It appears the Hawks will get 4 Compensatory Picks in 2016, so they will once again have 11 picks. As of now the Hawks Compensatory Picks for 2016 are 1- 3rd, 1- 5th, 1- 6th, and 1- 7th. I just don’t really see how stockpiling even more picks for next year will be helpful.

The field gulls article was saying we should stockpile to trade into the teens next year to pick up a player that we couldnt ever reach as long as were winning.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is the perfect draft for us to have 11 picks in my opinion. OL, and WR are especially decent. But watch them in UDFA, where they always hit on some.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
titan3131":1yqdl4xj said:
Willyeye":1yqdl4xj said:
original poster":1yqdl4xj said:

Opinions?

The field gulls article was saying we should stockpile to trade into the teens next year to pick up a player that we couldnt ever reach as long as were winning.

That's exactly my logic.

Gaining position on this years picks for next year with a view to do some serious trading up with them. We're very fortunate to be in a position to have that as an option.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1wlfjart said:
The team will have a bead on next year's draft already, but how do WE, the fans, know next year is deeper?

I actually kinda like this draft. There are some weak spots (S, TE, LB, QB) but I think there is a lot of strong depth at WR, RB, OL and DL . . . heck, I even like a lot of the sleepers at CB. The cool thing is that many of those strengths match our needs, and I don't think that s a coincidence.

If we trade back, I'd rather have it be for more picks THIS year. You can never have enough, especially the way the Hawks target high reward players. More hacks means more chances at the grand slam.

I absolutely agree. This just seems like the perfect Seahawky draft for JS/PC. They seem excel at picking those mid round guys and this draft, while thin at the top (ie. only 16 players rated as 1st round talent by many), seems to be very deep in mid rounds in those areas you mentioned. That it just so happens to be at our biggest positions of need is definately no coincidence.

Now, I don't think that means we won't make some trades to acquire future picks or move around. I am sure we will. I think their goal is to come away with about 9-10 guys that can give great competition so there is room to play there for sure.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Personally, I love this strategy for drafting. It's a strategy that San Fransisco has done very well with in terms of adding value to the picks they've had. They just haven't translated that additional value to better players.

But Schneider has gone on record saying he doesn't like to operate that way. He doesn't like the idea of making trades for players of unknown quantity. He likes the known quantity of 'pockets of talent' and trades back to get picks in that mix. It's impossible to know the pockets of talent a year in advance. So I'm not hopeful that we do that.

Part of that is likely the reality that Schneider sees talent deep in the draft where we as fans do not. So a 4th/5th round pick in the current year means more to someone that can decipher what that pick can entail versus some unknowable value a 3rd round pick next year might result in.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1dsgyfwo said:
Personally, I love this strategy for drafting. It's a strategy that San Fransisco has done very well with in terms of adding value to the picks they've had. They just haven't translated that additional value to better players.

But Schneider has gone on record saying he doesn't like to operate that way. He doesn't like the idea of making trades for players of unknown quantity. He likes the known quantity of 'pockets of talent' and trades back to get picks in that mix. It's impossible to know the pockets of talent a year in advance. So I'm not hopeful that we do that.

Part of that is likely the reality that Schneider sees talent deep in the draft where we as fans do not. So a 4th/5th round pick in the current year means more to someone that can decipher what that pick can entail versus some unknowable value a 3rd round pick next year might result in.

Yeah I think you're right to be fair, we as fans very rarely research beyond the 3rd round (if that!) whereas our FO will be spending considerable time on 7th round guys.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I too think it would be a good strategy to trade out of this year a bit and into next year. While I think there are some holes that need to be addressed, there aren't 11 of them. Doesn't do any real good to draft a bunch of players you just end up cutting to get down to 53.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
HawkGA":cej8ha6n said:
I too think it would be a good strategy to trade out of this year a bit and into next year. While I think there are some holes that need to be addressed, there aren't 11 of them. Doesn't do any real good to draft a bunch of players you just end up cutting to get down to 53.

But this strategy isn't the PC/JS mo. They don't care about a players potential to make the team. They care about the competition to make the team. They have shown in the past they they are more than willing to cut a player loose regardless of how he was acquired. See lendale White and Percy Harvin and the other 300+ roster changes in the first two years.
Teams can take 90 players to training camp. Only 53 make the roster with another half dozen or so making the practice squad. Their practice squad roster is constantly influx.

We as fans often look at the draft as a means of replacing player A with player B. They look at the draft as a means of adding more competition to the mix. I guarantee you they don't look at 11 picks as something to trade away for next year. I'm sure they go into the draft with the thought that all of their picks will add to the completion mix and make the team. Fans often look at picks as throw always. I remember when they picked Richard Sherman in the 5th round. I remember thinking he's just a camp guy with no shot at making the team. We automatically put 1st-3rd rounders as potential stars. 4th-5th rounders as possible depth and everyone after that as camp fodder.

Thank God that Pete and John don't have that mind set. I'm sure most teams do. I'd be willing to bet that they would like to add more picks this year!

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":328ygfru said:

IMO that is like a baseball manager saying "we only need one at bat per player because it won't take more than 9 runs to win a game."

You aren't going to hit on all 11 picks, especially not the way Seattle swings. They swing big. They miss big and the knock it out of the park sometimes. More picks gives you more chances at the big hit.

I can see Pete and John wanting MORE picks, not less.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawkspur":q9ij8qec said:
It looks like there should be a fair few players at positions of need who fit the profile of what Schneider and Carroll would be looking for. I'd be surprised to see too much stockpiling for next year.

edit - chances are they'll have a similar, or even better number of picks to work with next season too. Possibly even including a first rounder!
Why? Are they getting compensatory picks next year? For whom?

McGruff

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3kx2crcx said:
Hawkspur":3kx2crcx said:

Why? Are they getting compensatory picks next year? For whom?

This pretty relaible site projects 4 for us . . .

3rd - Byron Maxwell
5th - James Carpenter
6th - Malcolm Smith
7th - OBrien Schofield

We haven't signed a single FA that qualifies against our comp picks.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Willyeye":25ui3xim said:
original poster":25ui3xim said:

Opinions?

Except when they draft the best qb in a draft that includes RG3 and Luck in the 3rd round. Or the best db in the league in the 5th.