Historically, Seahawks draft pos strength/weakness?

drdiags

Reaction score
I haven't charted it but my general feeling is that the Seahawks have some positional drafting holes and thought I would throw this out there to those more up on the Seahawks drafting trends.

Also, I guess it depends on what you call success but this is just a feeling thing, which means there are no wrong answers (way to cover my rear).

WR (below average) - Besides Brian Blades, Joey Galloway and DJack, I cannot think of a WR the Seahawks drafted that was consistently good. KRob had drop and drinking issues.

QB (below average) - Wilson is the only QB drafted by Seattle that could be hailed a success.

TE (below average) - Stevens was a knucklehead, I liked Mili though our Kiwi fan didn't. Metzalaars was better with the Bills and Christian Fauria was serviceable.

RB (Good/Great) - John L Williams, Warner, Alexander, Chris Warren and Aman Green (though his value was with the Packers). The Fenners and Sherman Smiths of the world were effective.

OL (Good) - Jones, Hutch, Locklear, Okung, Sims, Unger and others that have or were impact players here or with other teams.

DL (not bad I guess) - Jacob Green, Jeff Bryant, Cortez Kennedy, Sam Adams, Michael McCrary, Phillip Daniels

DB (Outstanding) - Easley, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Springs, Trufant and numerous others

LB (not sure) - Wagner, Merriman, Keith Butler, Michael Jackson.

UDFA (Good to Great) - Numerous examples of players that have impacted the team over the years.

Summary -

I started this thinking the Seahawks aren't good at developing their own talent at WR or DE but maybe they are league average. I am not sure. What do you think?

Not trying to start a holy war, so if I didn't remember other examples of the Seahawks drafting strengths or weaknesses, my bad.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good stuff Doc. For those interested here's a reference to all of our draft classes.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

Just a couple of names you didnt mention, i'd probably include Golden Tate and DJ Hackett as "good" wr picks, especially if Hackett had been able to stay healthy. At LB both Lofa and Leroy Hill started from day 1 as rookies i believe, and both contributed to that Super Bowl team. Pretty good picks.

Looking back at the QB's we've drafted... man, that's a sorry list. Thank god for Russell Wilson. I completely forgot we waisted a 3rd round pick on Brock Huard.

As an aside... crazy that they used to have 17 rounds of the NFL draft. Imagine those mock drafts.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
You need to include Fredd Young and Lofa Tatupu at LB for sure.

Golden Tate at WR.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
How quickly one forgets. Yeah, you have to add Golden Tate as a success. Does that make the drafting of WR with the Seahawks about league average or is there still a lack of impact WRs drafted by the team? I was a Hackett fan as well, tough break for him with his health.

Fredd Young, Lofa and Hill definitely go on the plus side of the Seahawks historical drafting at the LB positiion. (for some reason I had Fredd as a UDFA in my mind. He was a 3rd round pick. Must have him mixed with Rufus Porter in my drafting mind's eye)

I did majority of this from memory, so keep that in mind when you wonder what old Doc was drinking when he created this post. Forgive me, for I have sinned (ha ha).

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Imo, the more pertinent filter would be starting with the 2010 draft (for somewhat obvious reasons).