Seven Ten ESPN Draft stuff

titan3131

Reaction score
I usually love Brock and Salk.

This morning they did a segment drafting animals.

I was so mad I texted in 5 times tellling them it was retarded and salk is a mouthbreathing tard.

its 1 day to the draft and they make a jokes about the biggest seahawks thing to happen in weeks. Im sorry salk is such a POS that he cant contribute anything interesting to the draft conversation, but why not let brock do a SEMI FINAL BUFF DUDE DRAFT REPORT?

I jsut dont get it.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
titan3131":esypz73n said:

I was so mad I texted in 5 times tellling them it was retarded and salk is a mouthbreathing tard.

its 1 day to the draft and they make a jokes about the biggest seahawks thing to happen in weeks. Im sorry salk is such a POS that he cant contribute anything interesting to the draft conversation, but why not let brock do a SEMI FINAL BUFF DUDE DRAFT REPORT?

I jsut dont get it.
Salk has made the show unlistenable for me. It's a shame because I like to hear Brock's take on things sometimes. And it's a double shame because Salk is the boss, so there's no getting rid of him unless he really ticks off the higher-ups at ESPN.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Salk is a good radio show host except for his attitude. To be honest I think it's an inadequacy issue for him when it comes to the NFL Draft.

He has no clue about what's going on and is too damn lazy to research it, so instead of being capable of offering some "fan level" insight, he can do nothing but shoot off his mouth in a condescending manner.

It's too bad because it really reflects poorly on him and drags the show down. He needs to be able to offer more a than gossip-worthy-only point of view.

Here are more links, you'll have to pick through some of it:

A draft-day whip-around, where Danny O'Neil, John Gambadoro, and Oakland Raiders broadcaster Greg Papa join the program. The guys discuss the impact Nelson Cruz has had on the Mariners lineup. A new edition of "Answer the Question,Jerk!"

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

Brock tells the story of the day he was drafted by the Seahawks, the other guys try to guess what music he was listening to that day. Callers talk about what it would take for them to be comfortable trading Bruce Irvin.

Salk talks about Lifewire.org, a domestic violence charity, in light of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. Another edition of "Blue 42"

It's draft day, the biggest day of the NFL off-season. Need to know: The Seahawks have the most picks in this year's NFL draft. Bruce Irvin's option will not be picked up, fueling trade speculation. The Mariners head to Houston after a sweep of the lowly Rangers. John Clayton joins the program. Another edition of "Say What?!"

The Seahawks have taken risks in the draft before with players that have off-field issues, so will they this year? When it comes to Shane Ray, how big a deal is the fact that he was cited the week of the NFL Draft? John Clayton discusses the possibility of the Seahawks trading up in this year's draft, something they've done only once under general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll. Plus, Fernando Rodney is BACK BABY!

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
ivotuk":26kzyhr1 said:
...he can do nothing but shoot off his mouth in a condescending manner.

It's too bad because it really reflects poorly on him and drags the show down. He needs to be able to offer more a than gossip-worthy-only point of view.
That gets right to the heart of it. I don't hate the guy, but his attitude is grating most of the time.

And thanks for assembling these links. It's very helpful and much appreciated.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":544w9g5e said:
titan3131":544w9g5e said:

I jsut dont get it.
Salk has made the show unlistenable for me. It's a shame because I like to hear Brock's take on things sometimes. And it's a double shame because Salk is the boss, so there's no getting rid of him unless he really ticks off the higher-ups at ESPN.

Interesting. Salk is the reason I am listening again. I moved from Seattle in 1989 for college and have lived in east coast cities since. Maybe it is just an east coast thing, but my God, Brock is boring. To me, Salk saved the station.

Seafan

Reaction score
Salk saved sports radio in Seattle. He is the King. All other shows REALLY SUCK in comparison.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
nbk35zw":1qbfflg3 said:
Interesting. Salk is the reason I am listening again. I moved from Seattle in 1989 for college and have lived in east coast cities since. Maybe it is just an east coast thing, but my God, Brock is boring. To me, Salk saved the station.
And what's doubly interesting, and ironic, is that he went back east and got run out of Boston, his home turf.
Chad Finn":1qbfflg3 said:
Salk is from here, but it never seemed that way on the air. One local host once referred to him as Diane Chambers, the pretentious outcast amid the barroom family on “Cheers.” Frasier Crane may be more fitting. This is his home, but his professional home is Seattle.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html

And this:
DJ Smith":1qbfflg3 said:
Whomever at WEEI thought it was a good idea to bring you to Boston to replace a guy like Glenn Ordway, must be a certified lunatic. Thinking that this guy could come in and try to blend in to a town where we can see right through people who are just putting up a fake persona... Mike Salk never fit in Boston.
DJ Smith":1qbfflg3 said:
Salk still couldn’t connect with the fan base around New England and even his co-workers which is just further proof that he is not a very good fit in here and frankly not an adequate radio personality to begin with.
http://chowderandchampions.com/2015/01/ ... mike-salk/

This is just to share the perspective from the folks in Boston, because it did seem like that's where Salk would thrive but it went the opposite way. Maybe more than geography, it's about why people listen, what they're seeking. I agree Brock can be very boring, but he has an insider's perspective without being condescending or elitist about it. He knows Xs and Os and can explain them without droning on and losing the big picture. That's why I tune in, or used to.

One of my least favorite things to hear from anybody, radio or otherwise, is incredulity. It's okay to point out problems and outrageous wrongdoing in the world, even better if that leads to talk of solutions. But Salk acts like he has a PhD in Incredulousness and it plays kind of false for me. He'll go on a "can you believe this?!" kick for 15 minutes on topics that I've read about and already know his whole premise to be deliberately false. He'll intentionally leave bits of the story, or certain quotes, out of it in order to rile up listeners.

Example: a recent article about the top GM-Head Coach pairings had PC and JS at #3. Salk went on and on, incredulously, about the duos at #1 and #2 and how unworthy they were, etc., etc. He railed against this article. Well, I read the thing prior to his rant and the author explicitly said: these top 3 could be interchangeable, consider them the best, then there's everybody else. But Salk omitted that so he could fill up air time with his hot air. I don't like sports radio for blustery hyperbole and persona-promoting. I want informed sports discussion.

But to all their own; subjectivity is all good. Nobody's wrong for liking what they like.