Biggest head scratchers...

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Gotta be Phillip Dorsett to the Colts for me. They already have a decent WR corps, two very solid pass catching TEs, and Andrew Luck throwing the ball. Passing offense is the one area they could afford to ignore (short of the O-line). I like Dorsett, but feel he's a luxury pick for a Colts team that is trying to get over the hump but has too many unfilled holes to get there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Colts decided not to re-sign Reggie Wayne, who actually did want to return for another year. Hakeem Nicks left after one disappointing season there. Donte Moncrief looked good but not great as a rookie. Outside of Andre Johnson and T.Y. Hilton, they don't return much at WR. Specifically, they need a starter at RWR.

As one of the better deep threats in the class, Phillip Dorsett was probably a good pick for them. For an offense that passes as much as they do, getting a 3rd WR was pretty important for them. They are determined to be the Andrew Luck show.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I thought it was an excellent pick. I think Moncrief flashed greatness last season. This receiving corps could prove lethal. Andre Johnson, T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett. Wow.

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Don't misunderstand me, I like the player. What I don't like is that Ryan Grigson ignored his other glaring holes to bolster the only part of their team - the passing game - that would still be elite without bolstering. It's the definition of a luxury pick, and it's a luxury I don't think the Colts can afford with their holes. You don't need an elite WR corps with Luck. You do, however, need a defense that won't piss away leads and a decent OL. The Colt's O-line is like Seattle's minus the good the run blocking.

Rob12

Reaction score
The Colts are a good team, but that's all they'll be. No defense and an aging Gore doesn't make that team better. Dorsett was a stupid pick for a team that is atrocious on the other side of the ball. They'll get ran out of the playoffs again when their defense can't stop anyone.

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2miodmoz said:
The Colts decided not to re-sign Reggie Wayne, who actually did want to return for another year. Hakeem Nicks left after one disappointing season there. Donte Moncrief looked good but not great as a rookie. Outside of Andre Johnson and T.Y. Hilton, they don't return much at WR. Specifically, they need a starter at RWR.

As one of the better deep threats in the class, Phillip Dorsett was probably a good pick for them. For an offense that passes as much as they do, getting a 3rd WR was pretty important for them. They are determined to be the Andrew Luck show.

I think ignoring their defense will be their undoing. In any other year, people would be raving about the rookie year that Donte Moncrief had. He's good, but was overshadowed by the best rookie WR class ever. He should just get better. Johnson, despite his age, has never had a QB like Luck. Hilton is damn good; easily one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the game. Two good tight ends.

I don't know. It screams luxury pick like the OP said. And the Colts, despite a great offense, are in no position to be making luxury picks. I'm surprised they forgot what a loaded, historically great Denver offense had happen to them in XLVIII.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It looks to me like the Colts are building the Dan Marino Dolphins part 2. No D. Propped up run game. But they will get their guy into the HOF.

Or Air Coryell and Dan Fouts if you like that better.

Andrew Luck is on my FF radar for sure this year.

McGruff

Reaction score
I was watching the draft with a friend of mine who is a 49ers fan . . . and we both agreed that Arik Armstead, while he fits the scheme as a 3-4 end, is a massive reach and projection for a first round pick. Jim Tomsula is a good technical coach, so maybe he can get something out of Armstead's frame and athleticism, but on the field there was no reason to draft him that early.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":1qod97j6 said:
I thought The Anthony pick garnered from us was a scratcher.

Again, I thought that was a smart pick. not a value pick, but in the range I considered ANthony a possibility, and a huge need for their defense. Anthony is one of the few true LBers in this class with any athletic profile whatsoever.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Shaq at 25 to Carolina.. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a total stud but an odd pick for them at that spot.

That's a team with a ton of holes, and not really sure why they went back to the well when Luke & T. Davis are already into the fold. Cam has to be a bit irked with yet another off season and limited help brought in for him.

I would have went after either Dorsett or Breshad Perrimon to go opposite Benjamin.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":si23j7fs said:
It looks to me like the Colts are building the Dan Marino Dolphins part 2. No D. Propped up run game. But they will get their guy into the HOF.

Or Air Coryell and Dan Fouts if you like that better.

Andrew Luck is on my FF radar for sure this year.

It's a shame they can't rescind GM of the Year award.

"Mr. Grigson, we're going to be sending you a prepaid postage shipping container. Just place the award in the box and set it outside your front door. We'll have someone come pick it up. Thanks so much, and good luck with that team of yours."

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1pqczpde said:
Shaq at 25 to Carolina.. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a total stud but an odd pick for them at that spot.

That's a team with a ton of holes, and not really sure why they went back to the well when Luke & T. Davis are already into the fold. Cam has to be a bit irked with yet another off season and limited help brought in for him.

I would have went after either Dorsett or Breshad Perrimon to go opposite Benjamin.

This was a head scratcher to me as well. I think Shaw was taken a round and a half too early, and seems redundant on that team.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":er8jxa1b said:

As a Panther fan I feel very good but not great for the reasons you mention, although I truly don't feel I would have felt better with Perriman or Dorsett. Truth be told I honestly think they had the Seahawks in mind. Rivera said at the presser Shaq could cover "Jimmy Graham types". Taking a WR again in the 1st makes sense on the surface but just doesn't fit the personality of what I perceive they want to be. A sidekick/eventual replacement for Davis and/or a poor man's Chancellor may be harder to find than a WR or even OT. It would have been interesting if Humphries was still available but the smoke/fire for Shaq was everywhere and the card was turned in at lightning speed. Cam may be irked now and may have a right to be but if the trend continues today and tomorrow many have threatened pitchforks in Charlotte. They still have 8 picks left.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I hate the Dorsett pick. Luck makes WRs better, and the colts could have waited another round or two to pick TY insurance (contract year), and gone with someone that will help them stop the run instead.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Chicago should of gone with defense. How many weapons does Cutler needs?

2_0_6

Reaction score
ctrcat":2gyxpw0x said:
Hawk_Nation":2gyxpw0x said:

As a Panther fan I feel very good but not great for the reasons you mention, although I truly don't feel I would have felt better with Perriman or Dorsett. Truth be told I honestly think they had the Seahawks in mind. Rivera said at the presser Shaq could cover "Jimmy Graham types". Taking a WR again in the 1st makes sense on the surface but just doesn't fit the personality of what I perceive they want to be. A sidekick/eventual replacement for Davis and/or a poor man's Chancellor may be harder to find than a WR or even OT. It would have been interesting if Humphries was still available but the smoke/fire for Shaq was everywhere and the card was turned in at lightning speed. Cam may be irked now and may have a right to be but if the trend continues today and tomorrow many have threatened pitchforks in Charlotte. They still have 8 picks left.

Landon Collins is head and shoulders better than Shaq, and is pretty damn close to Kam.