Best first round pick?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To me, has to be the Jets. Three teams were locked in on positions of need, and the best player in the draft falls into the Jets lap. When Jax took Fowler, it marked the second straight year they have taken a home state guy with better talent on the board. No knock on Fowler, but Williams is just better, IMO. The Raiders took Cooper, which I understand, but Washington takes a guy who might not play left tackle ahead of a Williams, and the Jets had to just as surprised as anyone.

That Jets team is loaded with talent.

Chawker

Reaction score
I'd have to say, the Jets with Williams dropping to the sixth pick. I also liked the way Cleveland shored up both there interior lines.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Chawker":1ljlopzk said:
I'd have to say, the Jets with Williams dropping to the sixth pick. I also liked the way Cleveland shored up both there interior lines.
Both linked to wanting to move up for Mariota, both got a lot better not doing so.

McGruff

Reaction score
The Jets and Cowboys had the two biggest steals of the draft. Those were my two top players.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2vdb1mcs said:
To me, has to be the Jets. Three teams were locked in on positions of need, and the best player in the draft falls into the Jets lap. When Jax took Fowler, it marked the second straight year they have taken a home state guy with better talent on the board. No knock on Fowler, but Williams is just better, IMO. The Raiders took Cooper, which I understand, but Washington takes a guy who might not play left tackle ahead of a Williams, and the Jets had to just as surprised as anyone.

That Jets team is loaded with talent.

I would say the Jets defense is loaded with talent.

Rob12

Reaction score
penihawk":1mkangf1 said:
Jimmy Graham at 31 was a steal

Winner. People don't look at it that way, but the Seahawks won the first round.

For the sake of this thread though, I agree with the Jets. Getting Williams there was huge.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Man I really like Denver's pick. He looks explosive on tape.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Jets got the best player in the draft to fall to them at 6. The Browns got a monster DT that will be a perennial pro-bowler and shore up an awful run defense, Erving also feels like a very solid pick and will be the Alex Mack replacement sooner than later.

I think the Ravens got a steal with Perriman falling into their laps as well.

titan3131

Reaction score
ARIK ARMSTEAD LOLOLJKJKJK

I love how deep into dumpster fire mode Santa clara is going.

The only thing that could get worse is Tomsula and Aldon get busted @ a meth house cooking Breaking bad style

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
New England had a real solid pick with Malcom Brown at 32. Dallas with Byron Jones at 27 was a case of one of the best prospects available fitting a huge need.

Surprisingly, the Browns stuck and picked two solid, fundamental prospects in Shelton as a run stuffer and Erving as a versatile offensive lineman and probable Mack replacement. Maybe they're going to smarten up a little bit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I know Williams was the best value, and it gives the Jets leverage with Wilkerson.

Actually, I liked the Gurley pick by the Rams. The Rams have the defense to advance in the playoffs already, but offense has always been a problem. With a new QB in the fold, lot of folks had them beating the drum for a dominant WR, but they've already spent a lot of draft capital on that position.

Gurley will help out the QB, give the offense balance, and if the offense can stay on the field more, rest up the defense. I'd be jazzed if I was a Rams fan right now.

McGruff

Reaction score
The only thing with the Rams is you have Zac Stacy and Tre Bride, who have both had good seasons there. Todd Gurly is obviously an upgrade, but their running game wasn't broken.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Best overall PLAYER: Leonard Williams

Best overall 1st rounder? I will go with Phillip Dorsett. I think the Colts just made a very shrewd move that could prove to make them the AFC Super Bowl favorites.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2qhst2ix said:
Best overall PLAYER: Leonard Williams

Best overall 1st rounder? I will go with Phillip Dorsett. I think the Colts just made a very shrewd move that could prove to make them the AFC Super Bowl favorites.

They still can't stop anyone with a pulse on defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Unlike most top of the draft hype jobs in weak draft classes (Aaron Curry, etc), Leonard Williams is actually pretty good. He's not a combine hero, he's just an old fashioned 'football player.' He reminds me a little of Steve Emtman.

That said, I actually think Jacksonville did the right thing passing on him. Fowler is basically Khalil Mack-lite, a near perfect LEO prospect. Gus Bradley needed a star at LEO long term. Fowler's interview after being drafted solidified the decision for me. He has the attitude of a professional, reminded me a lot of Gerald McCoy's interviews. My hunch is that we'll back in five years time and Fowler will end up being the most effective defensive player in this draft.

That's probably the best first round pick for me, though I could easily see Agholor and Dorsett having 1000 yard seasons in their futures. Unlike most people, I think the Dorsett pick was genius for Indy. All that hype for Brandin Cooks last year, and yet Dorsett pops off the screen far more than Cooks ever did for me. Having him and TY Hilton running deep routes at the same time is going to be impossible to defend consistently.

I get that the Jets liked the value and they worry about Wilkerson. But to me, if them picking Williams means that Wilkerson ends up leaving for modest compensation, I would consider that a mistake. It kind of reminds me of when they dealt Revis and tried to replace him Dee Milliner, who some thought was the best defensive player in that draft. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I'm never fond of expediting the exit of a proven stud for a guy that has the potential be a stud. For that to make sense, the compensating factors would have to be extraordinary.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
penihawk":1shqgdo9 said:
Jimmy Graham at 31 was a steal

Well if your going to look at it that way, I dont think Unger for a 4th was a very good trade

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Jets move. Wilkerson, Coples, Williams, Richardson. Unless you're giving them all 50% of the snaps, how do you get them all out there?

It seems to me they were hoping for other guys to drop (Fowler or Scherff), Williams did instead so they just took the best player. Which is fine to a point. I don't think the Jets necessarily dramatically improved though by bringing in a rotational guy. What else can he be described as?

Best picks IMO -- Gurley, Cooper, Brown, Fowler Jr.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":zra5lpeb said:
The only thing with the Rams is you have Zac Stacy and Tre Bride, who have both had good seasons there. Todd Gurly is obviously an upgrade, but their running game wasn't broken.

Zac Stacy is the definition of JAG. Dude was a healthy scratch for several weeks.

The days of the 25 carry a game back are dying.. even we try to spell Lynch whenever possible. Having a Gurley/Mason 1-2 punch can be extremely formidable.

I think the Rams had much bigger needs than a RB, but Gurley can be a true star.