Our first 4 picks since 2011

seabowl

Reaction score
Carpenter
Irvin
P Rich
Frank Clark (if he hasn't already been arrested since his selection)

I know this regime the first few years did a masterful job however their early on picks since 2011 have been yuk. Serviceable players yes but not IMO good enough. Hell Carp is gone, Irvin maybe on way out, PRich even before the ACL was average, and F Clark I don't hold high hopes for either especially watching the highlights. Reminds me of Daryl Tapp.

Before you attack me on this, think about if you really believe we have done a good job drafting the last few years.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Oh, I agree that we haven't gotten much from our early picks. Richardson was breaking the trend, but now it's hard to tell how he'll shape up.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
seabowl":1ziwq34i said:
Carpenter
Irvin
P Rich

I know this regime the first few years did a masterful job however their early on picks since 2011 have been yuk. Serviceable players yes but not IMO good enough. Hell Carp is gone, Irvin maybe on way out, PRich even before the ACL was average, and F Clark I don't hold high hopes for either especially watching the highlights. Reminds me of Daryl Tapp.

Before you attack me on this, think about if you really believe we have done a good job drafting the last few years.
Not going to attack you. Don't attack me back. I had 4 players listed as it came down to the Seahawks 2nd round pick. Frank Clark was one of them. I'm very happy. None of the other 3 have been taken as of yet - at selection 81.

I think Frank Clark was the PERFECT selection for the Seahawks. Couldn't have made a better choice. I'll add in Tyler Lockett and say they couldn't have picked 2 better players in the positions they drafted. They are going to contribute A LOT to this team on a run at Super Bowl 50.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2kdw5xst said:
seabowl":2kdw5xst said:
Carpenter
Irvin
P Rich

Not going to attack you. Don't attack me back. I had 4 players listed as it came down to the Seahawks 2nd round pick. Frank Clark was one of them. I'm very happy. None of the other 3 have been taken as of yet - at selection 81.

I think Frank Clark was the PERFECT selection for the Seahawks. Couldn't have made a better choice. I'll add in Tyler Lockett and say they couldn't have picked 2 better players in the positions they drafted. They are going to contribute A LOT to this team on a run at Super Bowl 50.

What do you love about Clark? Outside of the highlights that I have seen, all of the write ups think he at best was a 4th rounder and that was talent wise not including his rap sheet.

amill87

Reaction score
A below average lineman
A de converted into an above average olb
A young wr who showed a lot of promise

I don't think you're doing this right...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
So of those 4 only Carp was a major let down. JS is batting .750

Am I missing something?

London12

Reaction score
Why is everyone down on Richardson all of a sudden? He was coming along nicely pre injury.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":tvgtfmmp said:

Am I missing something?
And the funny thing is he was still a full time starter, who is netting us a likely 5th round comp pick next year

two dog

Reaction score
I suppose if you considered only the first pick in every draft you could make
somewhat of a case. Only half of those you mentioned, I would point out, were
first round selections.

Fortunately for us there were more players than these drafted. Some of those,
needless to say, are the cornerstones of the franchise. Particularly the Irvin draft.

One of Pete's mantras has always been that whether you are a first rounder or
an undrafted free agent, if you can play then you WILL play.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
If you put who we traded our #1 for in that list, it looks completely different.

cheese22

Reaction score
As far as PRich goes, how could you not be excited about his future after seeing him just start to scratch the surface of what he is capable of. 2nd round, 45th pick was starting to contribute for a SB team. In a position that experts say takes up to 3 years for players to hit their stride, I'd say he did pretty good. The same reason I still see good things in Norwood's future.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":261oo4mk said:

Am I missing something?
I'm not even sure I'd say carp was a major disappointment. He started a ton of games for us for 4 years injuries derailed 2 season. I say this in the context of how many players (even 1st rounders) who don't make it to a 2nd contract. Ex. A few years back 49ers take a wr he lasted 1 season with SF, before being traded to KC, now that's a total disaster. Say what you want about carp but he was a consistent contributor. Was he brilliant, no. He did more than a lot of ruskells early round picks.

titan3131

Reaction score
I believe that he was a major disappointment as a first round pick.

As a seahawk in general he was average.

kearly

Reaction score
In most drafts, there are only about 15-20 players with consensus 1st round grades. Seattle has only had three picks early enough in the draft to tap into that pool, and those three picks turned into Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, and Bruce Irvin.

Picking in the late 1st is basically a glorified 2nd round pick. Even still, among the list in the OP, the worst player Seattle led off a draft with just signed a $19 million contract in free agency.

And for those unimpressed with Irvin, I think you will be shocked by how much money he'll be getting a year from now. He has major talent and is developing into a very good player.

I loved the Clark pick. I didn't like the Richardson pick all that much, but he was developing nicely before his injury.

Moreover, there really isn't a lot of difference between Seattle and any other FO in the top of the first round. Most teams have near identical boards near the top of the draft, it's more a matter of fitting needs.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
kearly":7lih14u7 said:
And for those unimpressed with Irvin, I think you will be shocked by how much money he'll be getting a year from now. He has major talent and is developing into a very good player.

Also, if you look at the 2012 draft there are only 2 or 3 players taken between Irvin and when they took Wagner who you could argue are that much better than Bruce. I wouldn't have minded if they stayed put at 12 and took Fletcher Cox but that is with the benefit of hindsight and still not a clearly better pick than Irvin.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
chris98251":2hvhsxg3 said:
Where's Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham?
Percy Harvin is probably kicking puppies and saying it's someone else's fault, Graham is probably training.

CPHawk

Reaction score
What do people expect from drafts? We've consistently gotten starters out of the draft, and players who help the team. To me, it doesn't matter what round we get impact players, since the reality is on a majority of NFL rosters 1/3 come from the first 4 rounds, 1/3 home from the back half of the draft, and 1/3 come from UDFA. Our guys have made their living off of drafting great in the latter parts of the draft, whether you like it or not.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CPHawk":3vc5x94b said:
What do people expect from drafts? We've consistently gotten starters out of the draft, and players who help the team. To me, it doesn't matter what round we get impact players, since the reality is on a majority of NFL rosters 1/3 come from the first 4 rounds, 1/3 home from the back half of the draft, and 1/3 come from UDFA. Our guys have made their living off of drafting great in the latter parts of the draft, whether you like it or not.
It is frustrating because logically you should be able to select better players with 1st round picks than with 5th round picks.

Overall, a draft class IS judged by what the team got out of it, and if 2 starters come from late round picks then it was a good draft.

The problem is that we really have gotten poor value from 1st rounders other than Pete and John's 1st draft.

At some point they either need to do a better job of drafting good players with their 1st, or they need to do a better job of getting a good return via trade.

Harvin trade? We would have been better off just giving our 1st to Minnesota in exchange for a 7th rounder. Instead we gave out a terrible contract and for the first time since Pete got here we had locker room issues.

The Graham trade should finally change that (I love this trade) but hawk fans have every reason to be bummed with how the Hawks have blown it with 1st round picks.