Clark and Lockett

McGruff

Reaction score
Instant reaction having come home from work to these two picks . . .

Frank Clark . . . this is a fantastic pick. The off field stuff scares, but on the field fans are going to love this guy. He's got great snap anticipation, good bend, is strong enough to anchor the edge. But the things fans will notice right away is that he is tenacious and loves to play the game. When he hits someone it hurts. When he sacks a QB it usually involves pain. And he loves to celebrate. He's a guy opponents will hate and fans will love. He will get under their skin. Honestly the though of him and Marsh on the field for the next 4 years is exhilarating.

Tyler Lockett . . . get ready for Brock Huard to grin from ear to ear for the next month. Huard loves this guy. I actually hate the pick, and even more so given the trade up. I had him a 4th rounder and my 17th ranked WR. But honestly, he fits, and one of these days we will get this down . . . Pete wants RAC ability, end of story. He wants guys who can make big plays out of small gains. That is who Lockett is.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Watching Lockett right now. He is smokin' fast and plays with feet on fire. Fast acceleration and tremendous burst out of his breaks.

His frame does work against him in tight coverages and balls over his head.

Seafan

Reaction score
McGruff":23aq6b3j said:
Watching Lockett right now. He is smokin' fast and plays with feet on fire. Fast acceleration and tremendous burst out of his breaks.

His frame does work against him in tight coverages and balls over his head.

True but when he wide freaking open.....

Plus to me he's improved our STs 100%. We had no return game and somehow made it to the Super Bowl. This guy can flip the field. Go watch the Alamo Bowl and last year's Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. He scored two TDs in the Alamo Bowl and he scored 3 TDs in the Wild Wings bowl. His last game he was all over the field catching 13 passes and returning kicks and punts. Speed kills.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":b6n13muf said:
Honestly the though of him and Marsh on the field for the next 4 years is exhilarating.

I don't see much from Clark or Marsh. To me, neither looks explosive off the ball or attacks the backfield consistently. Hope I am wrong and you are right.

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1y97a8pa said:
McGruff":1y97a8pa said:
Honestly the though of him and Marsh on the field for the next 4 years is exhilarating.

I don't see much from Clark or Marsh. To me, neither looks explosive off the ball or attacks the backfield consistently. Hope I am wrong and you are right.

Marsh is going to end up being a damn good player for us. Can't wait

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rob12":3ce10v0i said:
hawknation2015":3ce10v0i said:
McGruff":3ce10v0i said:

Marsh is going to end up being a damn good player for us. Can't wait

I am more optimistic about Clark than Marsh because of his athleticism. If Marsh becomes damn good, then we are set.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think it's amusing that so many people on this board were banging the drum for DGB, but are scared off about Clark's off the field stuff.

Lockette is one of the best returners in the draft. Comparing him to the spot we had on the team for returns last year, just in returns, and we've already upgraded 100%. Add in that Lockette is also one of the better route runners, has speed, and good hands.....and we're looking good on the pick. I can say I'm not happy about the draft capital we gave up for him, but with all the picks we had this year, the cards were on the table that we'd move up for someone. Lockette was about as good a player as could be expected.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawks46":3s3tugja said:
I think it's amusing that so many people on this board were banging the drum for DGB, but are scared off about Clark's off the field stuff.

Lockette is one of the best returners in the draft. Comparing him to the spot we had on the team for returns last year, just in returns, and we've already upgraded 100%. Add in that Lockette is also one of the better route runners, has speed, and good hands.....and we're looking good on the pick. I can say I'm not happy about the draft capital we gave up for him, but with all the picks we had this year, the cards were on the table that we'd move up for someone. Lockette was about as good a player as could be expected.

It seems we gave up a lot to move up there, but according to the trade chart we actually got a good deal.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
One of the common traits both these guys have is that the play on the edge of out of control.

Lockett runs with one gear. Amazing acceleration off the line and burst out of his cuts. When you watch him he looks like he can barely contain his speed. Fans wanted someone who can create separation in the passing game. Lockett (like Richardson) can do that with his raw, reckless speed.

Clark is hyper aggressive and never stops working and moving. SOmetimes that aggression will take him out of plays, but more often that not it puts him in position to make them. I'd describe him as "relentless".

These are both guys that you will love to watch play.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":2qng5p6n said:
Hawks46":2qng5p6n said:

It seems we gave up a lot to move up there, but according to the trade chart we actually got a good deal.

What did you all want us to do? Draft 11 player, but have to cut 7 of them because we don't have room for them?

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think Clark was a 1st round talent if he didn't have the off the field issues which were amplified because of the current problems with DV in the NFL... Clark was an excellent pick and not just for value he's the perfect understudy for Avril. with Clark and Marsh coming off the bench as rotational D-Lineman they will provide immediate help depth wise but each guy is a perfect understudy for the player they will eventually replace

Frank Clark: Avril's understudy

Cassius Marsh: Bennett's understudy

Look at the way those guys play and how they are used.

Marsh started as a Freshman at 300 Lbs. playing DT. He then worked his weight down and moved to DE. The coaches have set a target weight of 270 for Marsh. Sound much like Bennett? Bennett plays DE and moves inside at times. Bennett is listed at 275.

Clark is more of a traditional DE pass rusher. He's currently 271 Lbs. and ran in the 4.6 40 range at his pro day (improving a 4.79 in the combine). He's fluid, and ultra athletic for his size, and moves well in space like a Linebacker. Not as perfect a match as Marsh to Bennett but I don't think it's a reach to say Pete and John are looking at Clark as a similar player to Avril who is now playing in the 260's and who was also a very athletic DE that also practiced as a Linebacker.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I really like the lockett pick. We need help in the return game and it looks like Lockett may be an excellent returner. He seems like a Percy Harvin type player only without Harvin's top speed. I just don't think we needed to trade that many picks. I think we could have picked Lockett in the 2nd and gotten Clark in the 3rd without having to trade anyone.

kearly

Reaction score
Historically, very small WRs tend to be pass/fail prospects. It took me a long time to get over my tiny WR bias after watching Deon Butler flame out. But in recent years, we've seen small WRs become big stars. TY Hilton. Antonio Brown. Brandin Cooks has shown good things. John Brown has shown good things.

I think Lockett is so extremely talented with his feet that he will probably be in the 'pass' category. That, plus our passing offense is kind of hard to fail in. Chris Harper and Kris Durham as the only two drafted WRs who really bombed here, and both of them were extreme projects. Meanwhile, even UDFA guys like Matthews, Kearse and Lockett have managed to add value.

What I like about Clark is that he is a high floor project with a high ceiling. If he takes well to coaching, he will be a star. Even if he doesn't, he'll be an average NFL player. The DV stuff is overblown, and the stealing stuff is just him being a dumb kid. I'm not worried about him off the field. His physical talent and drive are upper half of the first round level.

Regarding Marsh, he's a lot like Bruce Irvin in 2012. When he beats guys he smokes them. But when he doesn't beat them, he gets 100% stonewalled. This is a guy who put up just 14 bench press reps at the combine, and it shows on the field. Unfortunately, Irvin had more than enough speed to play LB in our system. Marsh does not. Maybe he moves to LB for a team that likes slow ones like Cincy. But it's hard for me to envision Marsh becoming a core player for Seattle until he finds some way to avoid getting stonewalled so often.

On the plus side, Marsh does have room to add bulk and strength. I think he needs to bulk up a bit and become a more complete pass rusher, until he gets stronger I suspect he'll always be a guy that flashes potential but can't find consistency.

xgeoff

Reaction score
kearly":2v8phsov said:
Regarding Marsh, he's a lot like Bruce Irvin in 2012. When he beats guys he smokes them. But when he doesn't beat them, he gets 100% stonewalled.

Your insights into Irvin are exactly the same as mine. If he can beat the guy off the snap, he's going to make the play, and if he doesn't, he is absolutely lost and has no backup techniques to get around blockers.

For the record, I am totally fine with the front office taking a chance on a guy with freakish measurables who could turn into a beast. I also give the coaching staff a lot of credit for turning Irvin into a serviceable linebacker when it became obvious he couldn't be an everydown DE.

I also love that they aren't going to pick up Irvin's option. It's not that the FO (or myself, for that matter) don't want Irvin on the team, he's just not worth the money he's been making.

Willyeye

Reaction score
xgeoff":2d1tycpl said:
I really like the lockett pick. We need help in the return game and it looks like Lockett may be an excellent returner. He seems like a Percy Harvin type player only without Harvin's top speed. I just don't think we needed to trade that many picks. I think we could have picked Lockett in the 2nd and gotten Clark in the 3rd without having to trade anyone.

Ummm, actually, Harvin ran a 4.41 at his Combine, while Lockett ran a 4.40. Lockett was the #5 WR in the 40 at this years Combine. Lockett was also the 3rd fastest among WR's in the 20-yard shuttle, and the fastest WR in the 60-yards shuttle at this years Combine...Tyler's 60-yard shuttle time was the 6th fastest in the entire Combine (all positions). I also think Harvin might have slowed down after his surgery and lengthy rehab period.

Ozzy

Reaction score
A little late to the party but I loved both picks. PFF had Lockett as the #2 WR behind only Cooper and I think he is a perfect fit for this offense.

McGruff have you changed your opinion of him Slightly post draft and/or do you think he's a solid fit for this offense?

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
austinslater25":3k9td055 said:
A little late to the party but I loved both picks. PFF had Lockett as the #2 WR behind only Cooper and I think he is a perfect fit for this offense.

McGruff have you changed your opinion of him Slightly post draft and/or do you think he's a solid fit for this offense?

Part of it is that I, and others, have to revise my assessment of what Seattle is generally looking for at the position. Lockett doesn't have a high SPARQ profile. In fact he's below league average for his position. Neither did Richardson or Golden Tate. Part of the problem is that Sparq factors in size, and the Seahawks don't seem to care much about size at that position.

I think at WR tape is by far the biggest consideration, and looking at tape, its the ability to turn a little into a lot, to take advantage of limited catches to make big plays. Electricity and RAC ability. My databases don't measure that yet, but I'll try to find a way to factor it in next year.

As far as the pick itself, its growing on me as I watch more film. The thing that stands out in spades is his technical work and the results of it . . . the cat just gets open, no matter where you put him. His drops are still a concern, as is his size and build. People keep saying "slot" but I don;t think he looks like a slot man at all. I think slot would waste his skills AND get him injured/concussed in a hurry. Put him at Z where he's off the LOS and able to find space and he's got a chance to make a ton of plays for us.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and great writeup as usual. I agree completely on putting him at the Z and I think they may view is similarly.