If you're going to draft a headcase...

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
....at least draft the position at defensive end whose job is to just destroy whoever gets in front of him. This guy seems like a guy with a chip on his shoulder....went from a somebody to someone who had to really prove something in the combine. How many guys have succeeded with this profile in Seattle?

I like the pick. Screw draft experts. Nobody can predict where a player "should be going", the only thing that matters is where he is drafted. If two teams want one player badly, one team won't get him in a "later round" because some draft pundit says so. It's smart to reach on players you like rather than miss out on those players and settle for guys you're unsure of.

Fade

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":6i0jffqd said:
....at least draft the position at defensive end whose job is to just destroy whoever gets in front of him. This guy seems like a guy with a chip on his shoulder....went from a somebody to someone who had to really prove something in the combine. How many guys have succeeded with this profile in Seattle?

I like the pick. Screw draft experts. Nobody can predict where a player "should be going", the only thing that matters is where he is drafted. If two teams want one player badly, one team won't get him in a "later round" because some draft pundit says so. It's smart to reach on players you like rather than miss out on those players and settle for guys you're unsure of.

Absolutely I agree, but its about value too. Seattle most likely could of had him at the end of the 3rd, Eli Harold didn't come off the board until 79 ish.

For example
Russell Wilson is the epitome of value. Seattle had him as a 1st round value, but they didn't take him until the 3rd because they knew he would be there, in the mean time they got Bruce Irvin, & Bobby Wagner.

You got to play that game, and maximize your draft value.

McGruff

Reaction score
Clark is nasty and violent and celebrates mayhem. If the off field stuff is past him, fans will love watching him play.

He and Cassius Marsh are going to wreak things for a long time here in Seattle.

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Fade":10syzwz8 said:
hieroglyphics":10syzwz8 said:

Absolutely I agree, but its about value too. Seattle most likely could of had him at the end of the 3rd, Eli Harold didn't come off the board until 79 ish.

For example
Russell Wilson is the epitome of value. Seattle had him as a 1st round value, but they didn't take him until the 3rd because they knew he would be there, in the mean time they got Bruce Irvin, & Bobby Wagner.

You got to play that game, and maximize your draft value.

But its still a flawed strategy, if the guy is there and you believe you can coach him into being a force of nature on the line, take him. We got fortunate with Wilson because he didn't fit the profile of a typical NFL quarterback and many teams shied away. That was a calculated risk. We also had more needs in 2012 than we do is 2015. We were also giddy about Matt Flynn being the future of the franchise, so waiting for Wilson in the 3rd round became less of a need at that time.

If Seattle hadn't signed Matt Flynn though I bet they would have reached for Wilson in the 2nd in 2012. Its a little bit different situation when Flynn was a backup plan.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks got two players they needed and two players I liked. I wanted an edge rusher first and Lockett is one of the most exciting offensive players in this draft. Go back and watch that bowl game. My son and I watched that game and both of us said we wanted Lockett for the Hawks. Can't believe it actually happened. He's Golden Tate except he doesn't have to learn how to play (run routes) for two years. He's going to be a favorite of RW. We just upgraded the WR corp and got that return man we desperately need. This draft is a HUGE success and we still have 6 picks.