Lockett is a brilliant pick

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Lockett was 2nd in the nation in punt returning in NCAA. This is why we drafted him, and why its a brilliant pick.

Seahawks had so many drives last year that started way too deep for comfort. If Lockett is a pick to be the next dynamic kick returner/punt returner, well this is simply a brilliant pick and screw those other 3 picks, this guy may provide way bigger impact than we realize.

This will improve our offense tremendously. We had Brian freakin Walters returning punts last year. Any of us watching knew it was an absolute grind for our offense to move the ball. Add in the fact that we would never, ever get any yards on a punt return especially after our defense would play lights out deep in opposing territory. Immediately this guy is going to increase the effectiveness of our offense by starting probably on average 10 yards further up the field, plus giving us a serious home run threat on returns.

Love the pick, he could be a good wide receiver too, but I think we just significantly improved our team just on this one pick alone. Home run in my opinion.

Seafan

Reaction score
This guy can be our best WR this year. I wanted a Ty and we got the best one.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Agreed. We should have taken him in the 2nd and we probably still could have gotten clark in the 3rd without having to trade any picks.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Minor quibble:
See punt return chart link below. At the bottom of the chart, it explains:
""Note: To qualify, player must have played in 75% of his team's games and have a minimum of 1.2 punt returns per game played."" - http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/nat ... ort01.html

Montgomery, in 2014 had a slightly higher average per punt return of 19.83, (12 returns for 238-yds)
however, he didn't have but 12 returns so didn't meet the rating criteria above. In other words, small sample size. By contrast, Lockett had 21 returns for 402-yds. and a 19.14-yd average. So, IMO, and in the opinion of the cfbstats website, Lockett was the #1 punt returner in FBS this year.
Montgomery: http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/674 ... index.html
Lockett: http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/327 ... index.html
-------------------------------
Research tip to those that don't know about the cfbstats website;
For anyone wanting near instant access to player stats, all you need is a "players name" and "FBS team" to look up players stats quickly with only a few clicks. On the cfbstats site, click "Players", then click on "team" (which is arranged by conference) and then scroll down the alphabetical players list to find your player, at the top will be 2014, 2013, etc for current & prior season stats. Also, on the cfbstats website homepage, you can also click on "National", and then see the players ranked by category like "rushing", "receiving, "long pass receptions", "sacks", TFL's, etc.
A great and ready resource for any and all. I find it easy to go to this site when I run across a name I want more info on and it's all easily and quickly obtained information. I found this very helpful doing my research this year, if you haven't been there give it a try, you'll like it.
PS: LOVE the Lockett and Clark picks, both are going to be absolutely amazing, I feel it in my old bones.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
in fairness to Brian Walters, in terms of his job 1 of securing the ball, he was very good in that department on punt returns. Others who attempted returns were more of an adventure.

sutz

Reaction score
TheWebHead":zyulsg4u said:
in fairness to Brian Walters, in terms of his job 1 of securing the ball, he was very good in that department on punt returns. Others who attempted returns were more of an adventure.
I would say that he got good at fielding the ball, after Pete told him to fair catch everything. His first few tries were mostly screwed up by him not securing the ball before he started to run with it. Thus, shaky catches and dangerous situations re ball control. But we were better off because of the fumble possibilities on that play.