Did we pick up any potential starters for the Oline ?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We lost our starting center and left guard before the draft. Even though Carp and Max weren't exactly performing at high levels they were starters... Meaning they beat out the other guys on the roster. How can we expect to improve or even maintain the same level of performance by elevating back ups that couldn't win the starting possition last season? I had hoped that we would focus on finding great or even good potential starters from this draft. How did we do? I keep reading that we built depth at the possition? We don't need depth we need starters. The guys already on the roster can be depth.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Glowinski should start. Sokoli will eventually start. Poole may contend, or fill the swing man/start in a pinch role that Bailey had last year.

I hope that answers your question, unless you just wanted to complain, in which case WHY DIDN'T YOU DRAFT ANY GOOD PLAYERS, STUPID PETE?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I'm guessing they try Glowinski at center as well. Hard to tell until they seem them on the field.

You are right there isn't a guy you can just plug in. However, it is not that much of a reach to switch from LG to RG.

OP
OP
brimsalabim

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14h6rcag said:
Glowinski should start. Sokoli will eventually start. Poole may contend, or fill the swing man/start in a pinch role that Bailey had last year.

I hope that answers your question, unless you just wanted to complain, in which case WHY DIDN'T YOU DRAFT ANY GOOD PLAYERS, STUPID PETE?

No I asked for input because I haven't been able to find much information about the guys we took and some of you guys seem to know quite a bit. Thank you for your answer.

Willyeye

Reaction score
brimsalabim":33yjxbbw said:
We lost our starting center and left guard before the draft. Even though Carp and Max weren't exactly performing at high levels they were starters... Meaning they beat out the other guys on the roster. How can we expect to improve or even maintain the same level of performance by elevating back ups that couldn't win the starting possition last season? I had hoped that we would focus on finding great or even good potential starters from this draft. How did we do? I keep reading that we built depth at the possition? We don't need depth we need starters. The guys already on the roster can be depth.

There are various reasons why a backup doesn't always take the starting position away from a veteran even if they are better. Example: By keeping Carpenter till the end of the season, and letting him leave via free agency, the Hawks got an extra compensatory 5th round pick for the 2016 draft next year.

I would consider Carpenter a 1st round bust...never did live up to being a 1st round pick. Unger was great...key word WAS...Unger missed 10 games last year, and 3 in 2013. That's 13 games in 2 years. Lewis started 4 at Center last year, and Jeanpierre started 3...the Hawks were 7-0 in those games. Bailey started 5 games. Lewis and Bailey aren't exactly backups anymore. They've earned a chance to start. Jeanpierre is a backup with 11 starts under his belt.

The Hawks currently have 5 starters and 7 backups...in addition to those mentioned above, the Hawks also had Gilliam last year, and have signed 6 O-Linemen in the last few months. They added 3 yesterday in the draft, and 1 last night (UDFA). That's 16 total, and they may add a couple more UDFA's in the next few days. That would be 18 guys competing for 5 positions. I think they will be just fine.

Because Wilson is such a great scrambler, the O-Line is the one place the Hawks will be able to save cap space to use for continuing to build up the defense and the receiver corps. It is probably a good trade-off...it's not easy making it to the SB in 2 straight seasons.

justafan

Reaction score
I think they got some talent that will contribute early on.There were Olineman I wanted earlier but the draft didnt fall that way.

cheese22

Reaction score
I'm not an OL expert by any means, but isn't drafting a G and plugging them in at C a big jump? I thought Lewis and Bailey were getting pretty good reviews last year in their starts they got. Obviously getting starters reps in games is way more valuable for our rookies than practice squad reps, but starting Bailey and Lewis seems way more logical than 2 rookies trying to learn new positions, at least for a year. We are contenders, we're not rebuilding.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Out of the three linemen we drafted, Glowinski is the best bet to be a day 1 starter. Whether they'll move him to LG or if he beats out Sweezy for RG is the question.

vonstout

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance we will sign Myers to start at C after May 10 so it won't affect our comp picks. The rooks can competev with Bailey for the Guard spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
vonstout":1i2eatfq said:
I think there is a good chance we will sign Myers to start at C after May 10 so it won't affect our comp picks. The rooks can competev with Bailey for the Guard spot.

Myers was released.. so he wouldn't affect our comp picks. Thinking they will go with what they got.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2c52oluh said:
Out of the three linemen we drafted, Glowinski is the best bet to be a day 1 starter. Whether they'll move him to LG or if he beats out Sweezy for RG is the question.

If he beat out Sweezy, that either means he is an absolute steal or Sweezy regressed horribly since the Super Bowl.. considering Sweezy was easily our best OL last year.

I think Glowinski is likely competing for the LG spot (where I'd assume he'd win it).. Brown and Lem for the C. But we will see.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Pete said in the post-draft presser that Poole will play LG and Glowinski will play RG. If they move Glowinski to LG that will probably mean Poole looks really bad in training camp. That said, the little tape I've seen of Glow shows someone who has the potential to beat out Sweezy. I think the question will just be how long it takes him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3rb9v2am said:

brimsalabim":3rb9v2am said:
Scottemojo":3rb9v2am said:

No I asked for input because I haven't been able to find much information about the guys we took and some of you guys seem to know quite a bit. Thank you for your answer.
You are making an assumption in your original post that is inconsistent with reality, that is that players don't change from year to year. The fact is no one stays the same players either improve or regress. Young players tend to improve, significantly in there first few years. My point is Lewis will be better off because of the experience he gained, so will sweezy, Gilliam, and britt. I like the 3 picks we got along with udfa Jesse Davis from idaho who was a dl conversion player. We should have some good competition this year with these new guys along with the young players entering years 2-3, in bailey, Gilliam, britt. I'm excited to see how things shake out