Frank Clark's quickness/change of direction is absurd

drrew

Reaction score
Among defensive lineman

Second best 60 yard shuttle in the last 10 years. The only one quicker was Manny Lawson in '06 who was only 240lbs.
Second best 20 yard shuttle in the last 10 years. The only one quicker was Bruce Irvin in '12 who was at 245lbs.

Frank was 271lbs when he put up these incredible times.

OP
OP
D

drrew

Reaction score
drrew":31uee9pv said:
hawknation2015":31uee9pv said:
According to this link, Davis Tull (Saints) had a better short shuttle -- 4.03.

http://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/edge/

Davis Tull didn't run the short shuttle (or 40, or long shuttle) at the combine. He's also a 245lb LB.

That being said, if you want to compare Clark to the LB class, he would have been 3rd in the short shuttle and 2nd in the long. The guys putting up quicker times were 30-40 lbs lighter.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Oh, you were only talking about the combine . . . that makes sense.

The measurable I like the most at the LEO position is the 10-yard split, which measures a player's speed in the first ten yards after his get off.

Cliff Avril had an insane 1.50.

Clay Matthews had an even more insane 1.47.

Top 10-yard splits from this year's edge rushers:
1. Davis Tull (Saints) -- 1.52
2. Randy Gregory (Cowboys) -- 1.56
3. Danielle Hunter (Vikings) -- 1.57
3. Shaquille Riddick (Cardinals) -- 1.57
5. Josh Shirley (Undrafted/Raiders) -- 1.58
5. Frank Clark (Seahawks) -- 1.58
7. Vic Beasley (Atlanta) -- 1.59
8. Preston Smith (Redskins) -- 1.60
8. Bud Dupree (Steelers) -- 1.60
10. Owa Odighizuwa (Giants) -- 1.61
10. Eli Harold (Niners) -- 1.61

Clark is in the Top 5 . . . only Clark, Odighizuwa, Dupree, and Smith are in the 270 lbs range.

As Clark expands and refines his pass rushing moves, we should see more of his speed show up on tape.

penihawk

Reaction score
Davis Tull will be ran by the QB in 1.52 as as he steps up in the pocket. The guy has one pass rush move. I'm predicting 3/4 of these undersized rushers struggle at the next level and are 3rd down players unless they can transition into SAM backers like Irvin. Clark has the potential to be special if he has his head on straight.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Tons of athletic d-ends look great at the college level. Not many have the size and strength to hang with NFL tackles.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
drrew":luy74veq said:
Among defensive lineman

Second best 60 yard shuttle in the last 10 years. The only one quicker was Manny Lawson in '06 who was only 240lbs.
Second best 20 yard shuttle in the last 10 years. The only one quicker was Bruce Irvin in '12 who was at 245lbs.

Frank was 271lbs when he put up these incredible times.
His shuttle times are what intrigue me.
Very few players get to run in a straight line while playing, so a 40yd dash only tells me how fast they can run on a track.
Shuttle drills actually tell you something important: change of direction.

Is the player someone who can keep up with a play, or does one juke or one little bit of misdirection take that player out?

It will be interesting to see how the hawks use him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His short shuttle times are very very quick and at his size with his arm length, I'm hopeful he can bring some pain to opposing QBs. Great pick, I am not really concerned about his character, but he will have to constantly demononstrate he's grown up.