What was Lockett's catchrate?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett set records for how many catches he had at K-State. Did he just get force fed the ball or was he a guy that made his QB look good by coming through and catching a league high catch rate?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wenhawk":ae7u8jsj said:
Tyler Lockett set records for how many catches he had at K-State. Did be just get force fed the ball or was he a guy the made his QB look good by coming through and catching a league high catch rate?
Lockett did a pretty good job getting open, I would say he was force fed the ball. It's just that corners had a hard time containing the guy. As far as his hands go, I'm unimpressed. He has Jermaine Kearse syndrome. He'll drop a lot of easy routine passes, and come down with the tough catches. He has a tendency to rely on his body to catch the ball at times.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1685r8q7 said:
Tyler Lockett set records for how many catches he had at K-State. Did be just get force fed the ball or was he a guy the made his QB look good by coming through and catching a league high catch rate?
His college catch rate is not important. I really don't care what it is. His QB sucked. He is really good at routes. He drops an occasional ball. Plays the red line well. Returns kicks.

Watch pretty much any K State game and it is pretty plain he is the best player on the field in almost every game. And he has the bloodlines.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Pretty outstanding really:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2 ... iver-stats

Not necessarily sure about how the stats are derived. But since all WRs are measured by the same metrics, Lockett compares extremely well with every top WR out there. Particularly in Yards per catch and yards per target. Considering he's probably in the top 5 of # of targets -- that's an incredible amount of production. Clearly didn't pad his catch stats with easy short patterns. High volume, high impact catches.

These stats to me kind of pass the eye test too as I look at his tape closer. Lockett is just an outstanding receiver who has a high degree of skill and clearly works at his craft. If anything, I think the high fastball passes are going to give him a bit of trouble. Which is something that Wilson definitely can uncork at times. But I also think that Lockett can and will get better at catching those.

EDIT: It also highlights how good the WR group could be at the top of the draft next year. Higgins and Boyd are both sophomores and they were pretty much in line with Amari Cooper. They both merit a very close watch in 2015 from the start. Both 6'2" big receivers with excellent production and large volume of targets. We've spend 2 straight years worth of first picks (Harvin, Graham) and a second and third pick (Richardson, Lockett) on pass catchers. May well be time to spread some love around elsewhere.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Lockett put up some great numbers, I kinda had a feeling he would rank high but I didn't think he would nearly identical to Cooper.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3jhztfm2 said:
Tyler Lockett set records for how many catches he had at K-State. Did he just get force fed the ball or was he a guy that made his QB look good by coming through and catching a league high catch rate?

Both really. First of all, Kansas State had some absolutely miserable quarterback play during Lockett's career, so the numbers he put up were very impressive when you factor that in. They weren't exactly stocked at the WR position either, so Lockett saw a long of passes come his way for that reason as well. But more than anything, it's because his route running was possibly the best in the entire draft. Cornerbacks, especially those Big 12 corners, flat out could not stay with him.

The drops are more than likely to do with his hand size more than anything else. He's not going to come in the league and be Jerry Rice and catch everything thrown his way. He body catches a lot to make up for the smaller hands. But his game changing ability in the return game and his precise route running will make him a very valuable player on this team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":vg62m19g said:
Wenhawk":vg62m19g said:

Both really. First of all, Kansas State had some absolutely miserable quarterback play during Lockett's career, so the numbers he put up were very impressive when you factor that in. They weren't exactly stocked at the WR position either, so Lockett saw a long of passes come his way for that reason as well. But more than anything, it's because his route running was possibly the best in the entire draft. Cornerbacks, especially those Big 12 corners, flat out could not stay with him.

The drops are more than likely to do with his hand size more than anything else. He's not going to come in the league and be Jerry Rice and catch everything thrown his way. He body catches a lot to make up for the smaller hands. But his game changing ability in the return game and his precise route running will make him a very valuable player on this team.

Good post. I will say that catch radius is important, but in Lockett's case it may be a slight bit over blown. He catches with his body a lot, but he also might be the best WR in this draft class at creating separation, both with his precise routes and suddenness in and out of his breaks.

He's a faster Baldwin with better return skills. If we keep him in the slot with our run heavy offense (lots of 2 TE sets or 2 WR sets), I wouldn't worry about his size being a durability issue either.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Looking at the list, it's pretty funny how guys like Funchess and Perriman were hugely sought after, but not all that productive.

A guy to watch for next year according to the chart is Higgins from Colorado St. Dude flat out balled this year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Lockett becomes a master at elite seperation against NFL DBs, his hand size and wingspan I will be rendered non-important.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I heard him compared to Harry Douglas before and think if we could get that type of play and production from him we will be very happy. Should be a guy who be loved by Seshawk fans like Bobby Engram was and underrated by other teams fans. I believe he will be a the epitome of a clutch player in a Russell Wilson led offense.