Huskies land four star RB McGrew

kearly

Reaction score
Sean McGrew recently committed to Petersen and UW. He had been heavily leaning towards UCLA but felt they did not meet his education requirements as well as UW would.

It was said on Brock and Salk that McGrew was the 3rd highest rated HS RB in the nation.

McGrew is a bit of an oddity as a 'top' RB, as he's only 5'8" and white (latino?). His highlights are a lot of fun, he has almost a Golden Tate way of running slippery. McGrew has drawn media comparisons to MJD.

http://www.hudl.com/v/DQ4iA

Looks like UW got a nice player. Should be fun to watch.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I have watched a lot of McGrew over the last two years. He plays for one of the best HS football teams in the country, St. John Bosco. Josh Rosen was their QB, but McGrew has been the heartbeat of that team. As a runner, he reminds me of Justin Fargas, another quick back from a SoCal, Catholic football powerhouse, who went on to play for the Raiders a few years back. Very quick but patient, one-cut-and-go runner, who runs compact and does a nice job slipping through tackle attempts. Also like Fargas, McGrew reportedly runs the 40 in the mid-4.3 range. I could also see the comparison to Maurice Jones-Drew, but he's not as shifty as MJD was at Concord De La Salle.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think he might b rated as the #3 all purpose back (247 which is the recruiting site I trust the most has him as the #5 APB). There are several traditional rb's who are higher rated.

http://247sports.com/Player/Sean-McGrew-41096

His highlights, and the way he runs, reminds me a little bit of kenjon barner, I don't see Maurice Jones drew or Vargas, they were both about 220. This kids only 175, although he is still a kid and I'm sure will put on some weight. It is pretty wierd to see a white small rb.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JSeahawks":4hwvtbjk said:
I think he might b rated as the #3 all purpose back (247 which is the recruiting site I trust the most has him as the #5 APB). There are several traditional rb's who are higher rated.

http://247sports.com/Player/Sean-McGrew-41096

His highlights, and the way he runs, reminds me a little bit of kenjon barner, I don't see Maurice Jones drew or Vargas, they were both about 220. This kids only 175, although he is still a kid and I'm sure will put on some weight. It is pretty wierd to see a white small rb.

MJD was only about 180 lbs when he was at DLS. That's about where McGrew is now . . . yes, he needs to continue to get stronger. He was only around 160 lbs as a sophomore. By the time he enrolls at UW, he will probably be in the 185-190 lbs range.

McGruff

Reaction score
I see Justin Forsett. He's shifty, but not a lot of wasted movement. More of a quick slasher type. Good out of the backfield too.

But where we need to be recruiting is that OL. Gaping holes, solid pulling and traps, good patience on screens. That looks like a college OL going against kids.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The first thing that jumps out his his speed. He is FAST. He ran a 10.66 100 meter as a junior in High School and is rumored to have ran a 4.37 40 already. I think I read that he's already faster than Ross.

He's very fun to watch and its never a bad thing to beat out other schools in the PAC for a player. While he's obviously not an every down back, I think he will be moved all over the place and the Dawgs will try to get him in open space. The biggest concern many had with the Petersen hire was his ability to recruit at a Pac12 level. Many had their doubts and while I won't say those doubts are completely wiped away, he and his staff thus far (especially this year) are holding their own.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":38cgq9u6 said:
I see Justin Forsett. He's shifty, but not a lot of wasted movement. More of a quick slasher type. Good out of the backfield too.

But where we need to be recruiting is that OL. Gaping holes, solid pulling and traps, good patience on screens. That looks like a college OL going against kids.
Completely agree and what's nice is Petersen and staff actually put an emphasis on recruiting linemen. Where Sark basically ignored the position.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3df1olkd said:
Sean McGrew recently committed to Petersen and UW. He had been heavily leaning towards UCLA but felt they did not meet his education requirements as well as UW would.

It was said on Brock and Salk that McGrew was the 3rd highest rated HS RB in the nation.

McGrew is a bit of an oddity as a 'top' RB, as he's only 5'8" and white (latino?). His highlights are a lot of fun, he has almost a Golden Tate way of running slippery. McGrew has drawn media comparisons to MJD.

http://www.hudl.com/v/DQ4iA

Looks like UW got a nice player. Should be fun to watch.

The "oddity" is that he's 5'8? I can name 50 top RB over the years who are 5'8-5'9 range. I can't name one who was white.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":3abnfa08 said:

I love the linemen Petersen is starting to recruit here. True lunchpail guys with good athleticism/length. Current verbal commit Luke Wattenberg is one of the best prospects in the country this year; he reminds me of some combination of Oregon's Jake Fisher and USC's Max Tuerk. From the incoming class, freshmen Trey Adams and Henry Roberts have the look of bookend tackles. Jared Hibers is a phenomenal athlete who just needs to add more weight to his frame. With more time and patience, Petersen is going to have a chance to build something great here.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":2q0gyof8 said:
The "oddity" is that he's 5'8? I can name 50 top RB over the years who are 5'8-5'9 range. I can't name one who was white.

"I said 5'8" and white". It's a rare combination for a top recruit.

netskier

Reaction score
How about the short white Husky Steve Bramwell who became an NFL punt returner, and then went into sports medicine Orthopedics after UW med school?

netskier

Reaction score
Might be shorter and not a top recruit, but definitely a top talent.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Anyone remember Joe Jarzynka. Im not sure I spelled his name correctly lol

Tical21

Reaction score
Oh man, the dude's white. This feels like Robert Swift all over again.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Fwiw Biggens said today, that the UO commit is emerging as the top RB in the west.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":1duae10x said:
Vavae Malepeai, out of Hawaii.

Wow . . . what a weak class of running backs in the West this year.

He looks good, but I would put McGrew, Brandon Wellington, Chase Lucas, Beau Bisharat, and Melquise Stovall ahead of him.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2wjv5i4l said:
CPHawk":2wjv5i4l said:

He looks good, but I would put McGrew, Brandon Wellington, Chase Lucas, Beau Bisharat, and Melquise Stovall ahead of him.

SC and UO disagree. None of those kids had offers from UO to be a RB, and imo the top RB coach west of the sec is coach Campbell. But I do agree it's a bad year for RB and QB. That's why UO loaded up in the last class.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":8z00wqzg said:
CPHawk":8z00wqzg said:

Agreed