710-Chris Petersen on the state of the UW football program

Tical21

Reaction score
Listening to this, I am fully convinced that he is not the guy for the job. Quite frankly, I don't think he's smart enough, and I think he's in over his head.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":2ppummvn said:
Listening to this, I am fully convinced that he is not the guy for the job. Quite frankly, I don't think he's smart enough, and I think he's in over his head.

I don't see how you could question his intelligence, especially given the list of head coaches he has beaten head to head with lesser talent but more creativity:

Chip Kelly
Bob Stoops
Gary Patterson
Mark Richt
Frank Beamer
Mike Riley
Todd Graham
Kyle Whittingham
Gary Andersen
Dennis Erickson
Mike Bellotti
Steve Sarkisian

The reality is Petersen took over a team that was left in dire straits at certain critical positions (namely QB and the defensive secondary). The way the vultures have encircled this massive rebuilding endeavor, knowing full well that the possibility for success is small in the near future, reminds me very much of the way people would speak of Pete Carroll, circa 2011 and early 2012. Yes, I would compare Petersen's career trajectory at Boise State, as the winningest coach in college football, to Carroll's dominance at USC.

A losing record is almost an inevitability this year, but I do believe we will see marked improved at QB, WR, special teams, and in the defensive secondary. Petersen's philosophy will begin to takeover, he will continue to collect his type of athlete, and we should start to field a competitive football team by the 2nd half of the 2016 season.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Come on, "Massive' rebuilding effort? They have a few gaping holes but the overall talent level is pretty respectable. A massive rebuilding effort is what Sark took over at UW, Leach took over at WSU, and Mcintyre took over at Colorado.

I don't doubt that Petersen is a good coach or that he's the right guy for the job, I question his current staff, especially on the offensive side of the ball. His willingness and ability to recognize the deficiencies on his staff is what is going to make or break him at UW.

kearly

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3l8l2jim said:
Come on, "Massive' rebuilding effort?

Sadly, it's about to be just that.

Your point is well taken though. The Huskies were talented enough in Petersen's first year to sleep walk their way to a winning record.

Tical21":3l8l2jim said:

This is such a perfect Tical response. It's so predictable and exaggerated, it's as if you are doing an impersonation of yourself. Of course, I'm not ripping you. I think Tical being Tical is awesome.

And I basically agree, Petersen DID come across as being a bit shaky in that interview.

I don't think Petersen is a terrible coach by any means, but I do fear that he might be another another Jeff Tedford story. Tedford looked like a coaching genius early on when he had QBs like Aaron Rodgers. But once he stopped striking it rich with unheralded QBs, his teams regressed every year until they were the worst in the conference again.

I kind of got that 'backslide' sense from Petersen after Kellen Moore left. Obviously, I don't blame Petersen for the QB situation last year, but I did see some worrying aspects of his coaching staff on other areas of the team, especially defense. I think Petersen is awesome at developing individual players, but recently his teams have had an issue of under-performing despite their talent.

I think he's the kind of coach that needs a great QB to be the deodorant for him. In the NFL, that's every coach. But in college, most of the great coaches can plug in basically any QB and dominate. So for Petersen, his effectiveness in recruiting and developing QBs will be absolutely crucial. And it's many years too early to judge Petersen fairly in that regard.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":27rjrwnb said:
seahawk2k":27rjrwnb said:

Your point is well taken though. The Huskies were talented enough in Petersen's first year to sleep walk their way to a winning record.

Tical21":27rjrwnb said:

This is such a perfect Tical response. It's so predictable and exaggerated, it's as if you are doing an impersonation of yourself. Of course, I'm not ripping you. I think Tical being Tical is awesome.

And I basically agree, Petersen DID come across as being a bit shaky in that interview.

I don't think Petersen is a terrible coach by any means, but I do fear that he might be another another Jeff Tedford story. Tedford looked like a coaching genius early on when he had QBs like Aaron Rodgers. But once he stopped striking it rich with unheralded QBs, his teams regressed every year until they were the worst in the conference again.

I kind of got that 'backslide' sense from Petersen after Kellen Moore left. Obviously, I don't blame Petersen for the QB situation last year, but I did see some worrying aspects of his coaching staff on other areas of the team, especially defense. I think Petersen is awesome at developing individual players, but recently his teams have had an issue of under-performing despite their talent.

I think he's the kind of coach that needs a great QB to be the deodorant for him. In the NFL, that's every coach. But in college, most of the great coaches can plug in basically any QB and dominate. So for Petersen, his effectiveness in recruiting and developing QBs will be absolutely crucial. And it's many years too early to judge Petersen fairly in that regard.

The Jeff Tedford comparison is way off . . . Tedford never showed that he was capable of forming a complete team, though he did stumble his way to a share of a conference title in 2006 with Nate Longshore at QB. Tedford also never won a BCS Bowl game, while Petersen has won two already.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think Tedford's 2004 and 2006 squads were pretty complete teams. Let's also be fair, he never played in a BCS Bowl game so of course he didn't win one. Tedford fell apart at Cal for a variety of reasons. He spent his early years building a "culture" and having a set offensive system. After 2006 he felt that the culture was established and the players could pass it down to each other and he spent his time doing what he loved: Coming up with new offensive schemes.

Starting in 2007(probably his most talented squad), the culture started to slip and Tedford didn't really notice because he was the mad scientist locked in his lair. In his later years, he still recruited reasonably well, but his teams lacked an identity, the offenses lacked rhythm and the effort was inconsistent, and that was that.

I'm not sure that will be the case with Petersen, but his teams at Boise did follow a similar trajectory after Moore left as Cal did after Rodgers left. Petersen also lost his top assistants to bigger programs/better jobs. His staff in place now is questionable. We'll see what happens.

brettb3

Reaction score
kearly":1s4p2exw said:
seahawk2k":1s4p2exw said:

Tical21":1s4p2exw said:

Just curious, but outside of last year which of Petersen's teams underperformed relative to their talent? I don't think any of his Boise teams did that.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":qfimcjd1 said:
seahawk2k":qfimcjd1 said:

Tical21":qfimcjd1 said:

I don't know how to comment on the exaggerated part. I write boldly, that's how you get remembered. I don't think it qualifies as exaggerating if you're right on the money. It might not be PC, but it makes things a lot more fun, no?

If I could expand....

I liken my feelings on Coach Peterson to the first time I saw Dustin Ackley swing a bat. When we drafted Dustin Ackley, you read about this natural line drive gap hitter. EVERYBODY said he's a can't-miss hitting prospect. He might not have a position, he may not hit for power, but he is going to hit, period. So I'm thinking John Olerud, Tony Gwynn. I'm a lefty myself, and we're known for our sweet, long swings. I'm thinking this Ackley kid is just going to have a gorgeous stroke. Then he makes his debut, and he's lunging to his front foot, jumping at the ball. Wade Boggs and Ichiro are the only two guys I have ever seen that have the coordination to be successful hitting this way. I knew the very first time I saw him swing that we were screwed.

The very first time I listened to Coach Peterson talk, I thought we were in trouble. I've talked about this before. When you listen to a good coach speak, even if he is talking in coach-speak, there is something about him that makes him seem like the smartest guy in the room. You hear the question he is asked, and you think about the answer you would probably give, and then the coach says something wiser that you hadn't thought of. Almost like they all have a higher level of understanding.

I know, hearing a coach talk shouldn't mean much. We're not talking about strategy or recruiting, we're hearing him give an interview. However, I cringe every time his answer begins with "what worked when we were at Boise...." This shows me that he's not thinking outside the box. Rather than growing organically, he's trying to duplicate, and rely on past successes. He seems like he's trying to say what he thinks the right answer should be, rather than instinctively knowing what the right answer is. This is where I see the biggest Tyrone resemblance. I have a hard time becoming inspired if I'm a player listening to these speeches.

Then you get on the field. He made absolutely stupid, almost unbelievable decisions that good coaches don't make. And not just once or twice. Offensively, he kept banging his head against the same wall without every trying to see things a different way. The extent of our creativity was to put Shaq on offense and hand him the ball a bunch of times to see if he can win for us by himself. Defensively, and I know this isn't his department, but they played the absolute worst style of defense for their personnel possible. They knew they were crazy young in the secondary, so they went about it by trying to play preventative, trying not to get burnt. Even with Marcus Peters and a great front seven, we lined up our corners ten yards off the ball and invited teams to pick us apart, and NEVER adjusted. They must have missed the Kent Baer and Nick Holt eras where we proved beyond a reasonable doubt that playing this style in the Pac-10/12 gets you torn apart to historic measures.

Listen to that interview again. Does that seem like a smart guy? Does that sound like an outside the box thinker? Is there any offensive guru anywhere in there? Surely, the guy has been a successful coach, and those things don't happen by accident. There has to be a hidden level of genius in there somewhere. Doesn't there?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":15r4uirt said:
kearly":15r4uirt said:
seahawk2k":15r4uirt said:

Tical21":15r4uirt said:

I don't know how to comment on the exaggerated part. I write boldly, that's how you get remembered. I don't think it qualifies as exaggerating if you're right on the money. It might not be PC, but it makes things a lot more fun, no?

If I could expand....

I liken my feelings on Coach Peterson to the first time I saw Dustin Ackley swing a bat. When we drafted Dustin Ackley, you read about this natural line drive gap hitter. EVERYBODY said he's a can't-miss hitting prospect. He might not have a position, he may not hit for power, but he is going to hit, period. So I'm thinking John Olerud, Tony Gwynn. I'm a lefty myself, and we're known for our sweet, long swings. I'm thinking this Ackley kid is just going to have a gorgeous stroke. Then he makes his debut, and he's lunging to his front foot, jumping at the ball. Wade Boggs and Ichiro are the only two guys I have ever seen that have the coordination to be successful hitting this way. I knew the very first time I saw him swing that we were screwed.

The very first time I listened to Coach Peterson talk, I thought we were in trouble. I've talked about this before. When you listen to a good coach speak, even if he is talking in coach-speak, there is something about him that makes him seem like the smartest guy in the room. You hear the question he is asked, and you think about the answer you would probably give, and then the coach says something wiser that you hadn't thought of. Almost like they all have a higher level of understanding.

I know, hearing a coach talk shouldn't mean much. We're not talking about strategy or recruiting, we're hearing him give an interview. However, I cringe every time his answer begins with "what worked when we were at Boise...." This shows me that he's not thinking outside the box. Rather than growing organically, he's trying to duplicate, and rely on past successes. He seems like he's trying to say what he thinks the right answer should be, rather than instinctively knowing what the right answer is. This is where I see the biggest Tyrone resemblance. I have a hard time becoming inspired if I'm a player listening to these speeches.

Then you get on the field. He made absolutely stupid, almost unbelievable decisions that good coaches don't make. And not just once or twice. Offensively, he kept banging his head against the same wall without every trying to see things a different way. The extent of our creativity was to put Shaq on offense and hand him the ball a bunch of times to see if he can win for us by himself. Defensively, and I know this isn't his department, but they played the absolute worst style of defense for their personnel possible. They knew they were crazy young in the secondary, so they went about it by trying to play preventative, trying not to get burnt. Even with Marcus Peters and a great front seven, we lined up our corners ten yards off the ball and invited teams to pick us apart, and NEVER adjusted. They must have missed the Kent Baer and Nick Holt eras where we proved beyond a reasonable doubt that playing this style in the Pac-10/12 gets you torn apart to historic measures.

Listen to that interview again. Does that seem like a smart guy? Does that sound like an outside the box thinker? Is there any offensive guru anywhere in there? Surely, the guy has been a successful coach, and those things don't happen by accident. There has to be a hidden level of genius in there somewhere. Doesn't there?

The more important question is what exactly did he say that sounded "stupid" to you? Petersen is widely known as one of the more innovative coaches at the college level, with one of the best developmental track records in the game, so I think the onus is on you to provide an example if you think he said something in this interview that contradicts that presumption.

I wish they had allowed him to talk more specifically about this incoming recruiting class, as well as his overall developmental philosophy.

kearly

Reaction score
brettb3":5rjyitmo said:
Just curious, but outside of last year which of Petersen's teams underperformed relative to their talent? I don't think any of his Boise teams did that.

Boise State hasn't really been the same team after Moore left. Petersen's last season at Boise State was especially disappointing.

I think Petersen is a good coach. He is one of the best coaches in the college game at developing low end recruits. I just think he needs a QB, and as said before, his current assistant coaching staff is suspect. I hope he gets it figured out. He has a long rope with me, because if he can turn UW into the team Boise State was a few years ago, that's the kind of stuff you dream about as a UW fan.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":32humw2n said:
I'm a lefty myself

That figures. You, me, and Scotte. All lefties.

Regarding the rest of the post, I agree about the in-game decision making, it was extremely bad last season. I thought it was the worst I'd ever seen from any football team I've ever rooted for. But I would also say that Pete Carroll's in game decision making is also below average as well, and he obviously compensates in other areas. It's something that can be overcome.

I do agree that a truly elite coach talks and thinks like he is visiting Earth from a higher plane intellectually. Carroll is like that. So is Saban and Meyer. Steve Spurrier, perhaps. Bob Stoops, perhaps. Chip Kelly. Belichick too, obviously. But the list quickly trails off after those guys.

I don't think Les Miles is a genius coach, but he's still a top five coach in college football. You can be a hardass, simple minded throwback coach and still win. Petersen is never going to dazzle with his wits but he knows how to get the most out of an individual player like very few coaches can. I don't think Petersen's success at Boise State was an accident.

I did get a whiff of the Willingham era last year, and there will be much more of that smell in 2015. To be fair though, most of that bad odor comes from an extremely awkward coaching transition where only a few of the players Petersen inherited fit his MO. And obviously, none of those few played QB.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":yroycopn said:
Btw, it's been 4,231 days since the huskies beat the ducks.

How many days has it been since the Ducks won a National Title?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2m4w20e3 said:

And what a joyous game it was.

Quacks would have to win every year for the next 14 years just to even the series.

Washington leads, 58–44–5.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawknation2015":78o85xwb said:
JSeahawks":78o85xwb said:

And what a joyous game it was.

Quacks would have to win every year for the next 14 years just to even the series.

Washington leads, 58–44–5.

Sounds doable.

titan3131

Reaction score
"The Oregon Ducks have never won a national championship in the 100 years that the university has fielded a football team. The Ducks have won 12 conference titles over that span, but a national championship banner has eluded them.Jan 4, 2015"

UW
Claimed national titles 2 (1960, 1991)

OWNED.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
titan3131":2puqjjda said:
"The Oregon Ducks have never won a national championship in the 100 years that the university has fielded a football team. The Ducks have won 12 conference titles over that span, but a national championship banner has eluded them.Jan 4, 2015"

UW
Claimed national titles 2 (1960, 1991)

OWNED.

Claimed being the operative word.

Anyone that has to announce themselves champions 48 years after the fact is no true champion.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26b1cj41 said:
bigtrain21":26b1cj41 said:
JSeahawks":26b1cj41 said:

How many days has it been since the Ducks won a National Title?

Nah, too predictable. And to far gone and irrelevant to matter. I'm a trail blazer fan but I've never gone around bragging to another fan about that 1976 championship, because it doesnt matter. Uw's football titles are about as televant as the ducks basketball national title. Hasselbeck, you're a USC fan, at least your team won a title this century, you may chirp.