Isaiah Battle, legit LT prospect,entering supplemental draft

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[youtube]X7vz-Cle15o[/youtube]

Long arms and appears to be a good athlete. Needs to fill out and get stronger, looks inconsistent run blocking.

There could be a few teams interested in him, which would probably mean having to use a first or second round pick. It would be nice to develop a replacement for Okung. On the other hand, that's first or second round salary at a time when there is uncertainty about how much will be needed to sign Wilson, as well as another cut we would have to make to our current list of offensive linemen.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":wkhyh72x said:
We'll be picking 32nd anyway, so might as well grab him.

31st, some blockhead called a slant from the 1 and the pass got picked off, interesting call when the team has the best short yardage running back in the league and the opposing team statistically was terrible stopping running plays inside their 5 yd line.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1vrw0dlj said:
SacHawk2.0":1vrw0dlj said:
We'll be picking 32nd anyway, so might as well grab him.

31st, some blockhead called a slant from the 1 and the pass got picked off, interesting call when the team has the best short yardage running back in the league and the opposing team statistically was terrible stopping running plays inside their 5 yd line.

Taking someone in the supplemental draft means losing a pick next year, when we will presumably be celebrating another Super Bowl win!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
You guys are both wrong.. we will trade 32 to a team for a veteran offensive weapon

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I was wrong, although we still have the same blockhead as our OC.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Everything I've read about this guy indicates he's likely a mid-round pick, raw as far as technique, doesn't bend his knees well yet, needs to get stronger, but has good length, long arms, good feet, and seemingly some developable talent which may take a season or two. The Hawks appear to be one of about 5 teams who have shown some interest.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Denver will grab him.

They just lost Clady and they have a big need.

McGruff

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3jn0aren said:
Everything I've read about this guy indicates he's likely a mid-round pick, raw as far as technique, doesn't bend his knees well yet, needs to get stronger, but has good length, long arms, good feet, and seemingly some developable talent which may take a season or two. The Hawks appear to be one of about 5 teams who have shown some interest.

Just watching the film above, he's a great pass blocker, but as a run blocker he's very tentative. He just kinda gets in the way, and on the second level he just kinda stands there and waits for defenders to come to him. He's really long legged, which will impact leverage at the point of attack. He's got some good qualities, but IMO he's a strict LT prospect. I don't see a lot of versatility there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pretty funny supplemental mock draft from NFL.com:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... mock-draft

They could have just said they think Battle will be selected at the top of the 4th Round, and no one else will be picked. If it does play out this way, the Seahawks would have to submit at least a 3rd Round pick to secure Battle.

He has good size (6-foot-6 1/8, 312 pounds) and length (85 1/4-inch wing span and 35 3/8-inch arms). He has added a lot of weight to his frame. Other than that, his Pro Day times were more pedestrian than expected:

40: 5.29 and 5.21 seconds
Vertical: 24 1/2-inches v
Broad: 8-foot-5
Bench: 12 reps (arm cramp)

26 teams showed up for his Pro Day. This is a player who badly needed another year of seasoning to display better run blocking and consistency at his new weight. Having said that, I would give up what is expected to be a late 3rd to essentially develop Okung's replacement. I don't think we have anything cooking on the roster with more potential than Battle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Watching the film on this guy he seems to lack the nastiness Cable prefers as far as run blocking and while possibly being a capable pass blocker lacks the versatility our staff seems to prefer. Has quite a few bad habits in technique and could be a project with a questionable upside.

The team will have an extra 3rd rd comp pick from Maxwell so if the price is a late 3rd they have the ammo, somehow think a 4 is all the team would go.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seahawks were also in attendance at the West Georgia Pro day, featuring defensive tackle Dalvon Stuckey and defensive end Darrius Caldwell.

Caldwell (6'5, 323) dominated the Gulf South Conference last season with 18.5 tackles for loss and 12.0 sacks. Caldwell had an impressive 40-yard dash (5.07 seconds) and vertical (35 1/2 inches) but managed just six bench press reps. What? Maybe he hurt himself. 323 lbs is WAY heavier than his listed playing weight of 245 lbs.

Stuckey was a junior college transfer to West Georgia in 2014. The 6-4, 300-pounder had 40 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, and 4.0 sacks last season. He didn't impress with a 5.5-second 40 and just 10 bench press reps.

Neither of these guys are expected to be drafted, but maybe they will take a chance on Caldwell as a free agent?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/616726317581643776[/tweet]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ntal-draft

Interesting, meaning Seahawks could have gotten him with a low 4th.

Rams general manager Les Snead said Thursday that Battle will basically get a redshirt season in 2015.

"We felt it was an opportunity to get an earlier round value for a later round price," Snead said in a release from the team. "He's going to practice what would've been his final year of college eligibility with us, go through our offseason program, and then start his rookie season a year from now.

"This will allow us to bring him along gradually both on and off the field. Now it's up to Isaiah and us to go work to reach his potential as a person and player."

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how they can red shirt him without him going through waivers?

I thought if you went on IR or to the PS you ahd to clear waivers first. I'm sure the Pats annoyed everyone by picking up someone destined for IR.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":daxahkve said:
Can someone explain to me how they can red shirt him without him going through waivers?

I thought if you went on IR or to the PS you ahd to clear waivers first. I'm sure the Pats annoyed everyone by picking up someone destined for IR.

Unless he gets hurt, they can't put him on IR. I think they are just trying to lower expectations of him actually receiving meaningful playing time this year. On paper, the Rams' OL looks to be the weakest in the league. Their OT situation in particular looks pretty desperate to me. Fans are going to be calling for Battle to play, and I think the team was trying to get ahead of that by calling this season a "redshirt year" for him.

Or maybe they will try to IR him with some kind of injury.

Basis4day

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":vdx552rv said:

One way is to carry him on the 53 man roster and just not play him.
To get to the PS he would need to be waived first.

Seafan

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2l3ziayy said:

He's not talking about IR or PS. They mean they won't play him his first year.

You can't stash healthy people on IR like in the old days.