Oregon vs auburn to open 2019 season

JSeahawks

Reaction score
In Dallas. I like it. Michigan state again this year. Then Nebraska home n home. Then auburn in 2019. Followed by Ohio state home n home. Just need to find an opponent for 2018. Hoping for Baylor, tcu or Texas for recruiting in Texas purposes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hope Malzahn is still at Auburn then. That game would be a doozy

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2xz312hi said:

Malzahn will still be there as long as the following conditions are met:

1. Auburn's Board of Trustees stops being a good ol' boys club determined to meddle in the university's affairs out of personal pettiness. Bobby Lowder - the guy who flew his private jet to Louisville to woo Petrino when Tommy Tuberville was still the Auburn HC and the guy who would remove university presidents just to give the positions to his friends - has been out since 2012, but there's no telling how many of his cronies still populate the board. Terry Bowden was jettisoned because he didn't kiss the right asses there.

2. Malzahn doesn't have a complete meltdown with Auburn going 3-9 and losing every SEC contest in a season (the Gene Chizik approach).

3. Auburn beats Bama and/or Georgia at least twice each between now and the start of the 2019 season.

Seriously, Malzahn is in a good spot. He (plus Cam Newton and Nick Fairley) is widely viewed as the reason the Tigers won it all in 2010, and taking them to the NC game in 2013 solidified his status in Auburn. There would seriously need to be a flat-out disaster of a season - maybe even two in a row - for Malzahn to get the boot.

I don't see him leaving of his own accord, either, unless he gets a ridiculously lucrative offer from an NFL team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3ot7cft0 said:
Hasselbeck":3ot7cft0 said:

1. Auburn's Board of Trustees stops being a good ol' boys club determined to meddle in the university's affairs out of personal pettiness. Bobby Lowder - the guy who flew his private jet to Louisville to woo Petrino when Tommy Tuberville was still the Auburn HC and the guy who would remove university presidents just to give the positions to his friends - has been out since 2012, but there's no telling how many of his cronies still populate the board. Terry Bowden was jettisoned because he didn't kiss the right asses there.

2. Malzahn doesn't have a complete meltdown with Auburn going 3-9 and losing every SEC contest in a season (the Gene Chizik approach).

3. Auburn beats Bama and/or Georgia at least twice each between now and the start of the 2019 season.

Seriously, Malzahn is in a good spot. He (plus Cam Newton and Nick Fairley) is widely viewed as the reason the Tigers won it all in 2010, and taking them to the NC game in 2013 solidified his status in Auburn. There would seriously need to be a flat-out disaster of a season - maybe even two in a row - for Malzahn to get the boot.

I don't see him leaving of his own accord, either, unless he gets a ridiculously lucrative offer from an NFL team.

I don't see Gus ever taking another college job, but the NFL is a very real possibility with how innovative his offense is.

Chizik was also a terrible coach for the most part and only had a successful year when Malzahn was running the offense.

I'm a huge fan of Malzahn. Guy has won everywhere he's coached and put up eye popping statistics on offense. Those Tulsa teams were FUN.

I honestly think they're the team to beat in the SEC this coming season.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":21ko57vk said:
volsunghawk":21ko57vk said:
Hasselbeck":21ko57vk said:

I don't see Gus ever taking another college job, but the NFL is a very real possibility with how innovative his offense is.

Chizik was also a terrible coach for the most part and only had a successful year when Malzahn was running the offense.

I'm a huge fan of Malzahn. Guy has won everywhere he's coached and put up eye popping statistics on offense. Those Tulsa teams were FUN.

Whats innovated with the Auburn offense? I really only watch UW football when it comes to NCAA and am curious what Auburn does in regards to your comment

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1uwk5oi4 said:
Whats innovated with the Auburn offense? I really only watch UW football when it comes to NCAA and am curious what Auburn does in regards to your comment

Auburn plays a very high-tempo, no huddle variation of the spread option. They are similar to Oregon in that regard. Lots of zone-read and inverted veer concepts. He loves to use really unconventional formations and really.. the key to all of this is tempo. His offenses play very fast, just like Oregon. Hence why this matchup could be so juicy.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1v4konn7 said:
Hasselbeck":1v4konn7 said:
volsunghawk":1v4konn7 said:
Hasselbeck":1v4konn7 said:

The base of their offense is the veer and the read option. Then on top of that they add layers upon layers. They will add a fly sweep to the read option, and then play action pass on top of the fly sweep and on and on and on. A lot of teams run similar spread schemes, but Malzahn's design with motion, play action and blocking schemes is a lot more creative than your traditional offense.