Early peak at 2016 QB class

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think quarterback is probably a need for us no matter how the Wilson saga plays out.. obviously it could go from small need to "OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO".. but thats not what this thread is about..

Anyway, the 2015 draft was pretty miserable at quarterback, but 2016 is shaping up to potentially be one of the better ones in recent memory.. not quite 2012 good, but still nothing to scoff at. Right now I see at minimum three QB's with first round grades (Cook, Hackenberg, Goff), and potentially as many as seven (Jones, Johnson, Kiel, Hogan) if things shake out a certain way.

In sum.. the class looks very deep. Quick overview:

Top Senior Prospects:
- QB Connor Cook - Michigan State - 6-4, 220 - If there were prop betting on draft position, Cook would be the clubhouse favorite to be the top QB selected in 2016.

- QB Cody Kessler - USC - 6-1, 215 - Kessler will inevitably be compared to previous Trojan QB's that have yet to live up to their hype at the next level. His 6-1 size won't help him much either. However, USC is a marquee program that appears to be on the upswing, so Kessler could play himself into the low 1st/2nd round range with a good Senior season

- QB Kevin Hogan - Stanford - 6-4, 225 - Hogan has yet to come close to filling the shoes of Andrew Luck, but the physical attributes are there. We've seen many QB's use a strong Senior season to catapult themselves up the rankings and with a strong Pac-12 conference, Hogan can help his own cause in a big way this year.

- QB Dak Prescott - Miss State - 6-2, 230 - Not really sold on Dak as an NFL QB, but SEC guys get love.. and Mississippi State figures to be in the mix to get to Atlanta for a shot at the SEC Title.

- QB Nate Sudfeld - Indiana - 6-6, 240 - Sudfeld is another guy that has the physical attributes that will get scouts to pay attention, but is coming off of a season ending shoulder injury a year ago. The senior QB could play his way into the 2nd-3rd round though with a nice rebound season

Dark Horse Senior Prospects:
- QB Trevone Boykin - TCU - 6-1, 205 -- Not a huge fan of his in terms of an NFL quarterback, but his college numbers figure to be eye popping and he is a favorite for the Heisman Trophy

- QB Jake Coker - Alabama - 6-5, 232 -- Still unknown if he will be starting QB for the Tide, but has the physical attributes scouts drool over. Like USC however, Bama hasn't exactly produced the best QB's entering the NFL of late.

Top Underclassmen
- QB Christian Hackenberg - Penn State - 6-4, 236 (Jr.) -- More than likely will declare, be high first round prospect. Strong season could put him in the mix to be 1st overall pick.

- QB Cardale Jones - Ohio State - 6-5, 250 (rJr.) -- Could be a very highly rated prospect, or miss out on winning starting nod altogether. If he wins the job and continues his great play from a year before though... look out.

- QB Jared Goff - Cal - 6-4, 210 (Jr.) -- Had tremendous sophomore season and plays in very QB friendly offense. Could play his way into the first round conversation this season.

Dark Horse Underclassmen
- QB Jeremy Johnson - Auburn - 6-5, 240 (Jr.) -- Athletic monster that could be Gus Malzahn's best QB prospect yet. By comparison, Cam Newton elevated himself to the Heisman and #1 overall pick playing under the same offensive system. Given Auburn's status in the SEC, Johnson will be on TV a lot and if he shines... he's definitely a name to keep an eye on.

- QB Gunner Kiel - Cincy - 6-4, 210 (rJr.) -- Highly decorated prep star, coming off great year at Cincy

- QB J.T. Barrett - Ohio State - 6-2, 225 (RS-Soph) -- Depending on how Buckeyes QB situation shakes out.. could win job, declare early.. or lose job and be QB of the future for Urban Meyer.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":12511949 said:
Kessler and Hogan are TERRIBLE.

Wouldn't say they are terrible, but would I want to draft them? Not really.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3e5az717 said:
Neither will ever see a second contract. Looking at the list as a whole, I'm sure glad we don't need a qb.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1fztncpb said:

I think you may need to revisit your definition of terrible. Mediocre maybe, but no more mediocre than RW in college.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":dplrkyb7 said:
hawknation2015":dplrkyb7 said:

I think you may need to revisit your definition of terrible. Mediocre maybe, but no more mediocre than RW in college.

RW was way better than those two in college. Anyway, we're not talking about college. Kessler and Hogan would make terrible NFL quarterbacks, as neither is very good at completing a pass that isn't totally open beyond five yards.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Has the makings of a really bad class. Will need 'come from nowhere' candidates.

Not a fan of Cook, all signs point to Jones missing out on the starters role and Goff -- I just don't see it. Toolsy but will need major major time to adjust to the NFL.

A name to keep an eye on -- Carson Wentz at North Dakota State.

Could be a dark horse.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2azj0c3h said:
Has the makings of a really bad class. Will need 'come from nowhere' candidates.

Not a fan of Cook, all signs point to Jones missing out on the starters role and Goff -- I just don't see it. Toolsy but will need major major time to adjust to the NFL.

A name to keep an eye on -- Carson Wentz at North Dakota State.

Could be a dark horse.

Where did you read that? Braxton Miller just switched to WR so apparently its a two man race for now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3qs1qlus said:
hawknation2015":3qs1qlus said:

78% completion pct., 33 TDs with only 4 Ints and a 191.8 QB rating is NOT mediocre.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2n42c9ji said:
hawknation2015":2n42c9ji said:

Ummmm, wrong. Russell Wilson had the highest quarterback ranking for any college quarterback in the nation his senior year. He also set the NCAA record for most consecutive pass attempts without throwing an interception. Get some facts straight before you throw out a statement like that my friend.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3f7q2o7u said:
Kennedyin92":3f7q2o7u said:
hawknation2015":3f7q2o7u said:

78% completion pct., 33 TDs with only 4 Ints and a 191.8 QB rating is NOT mediocre.

What!? Who had those numbers? 78%? No

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":2tl57ogv said:
hawksfansinceday1":2tl57ogv said:
Kennedyin92":2tl57ogv said:
hawknation2015":2tl57ogv said:

What!? Who had those numbers? 78%? No
Those are Russell Wilson's senior year stats at Wisconsin. Read IBleedBlueAndGreen's post above as well. Highest QB rating in 2011. Here's a link to his college stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... son-1.html

And yeah, I misread it. His completion % was "only" 72.8. Sucky. :sarcasm_off:

cover-2

Reaction score
Another QB to add to the list who I think would fit into our offense is NC State (QB) Jacoby Brissett. He is 6-4 235 lbs, Brissett is a former 4 star recruit who origanlly played at Florida but then transferred to NC State. He arm strength look good, but not great. He has very good pocket awareness and can extend plays with his legs. He looks to have good accuracy when rolling out of the pocket. He can run and get some yards if a play breaks down, although he is not near as good a runner as Russell Wilson. The knock on him from what I can tell is that he has a long release in his throwing motion.

[youtube]VNmjSHwhM0Y[/youtube]

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Cover-2, love that you brought up Brissett. Love that guy. Reminds me a lot of RW in college. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Other than that, it's Connor Cook and everyone else for me. Really, really like his game. Hackenburg is talented, but very erratic and highly overrated imo. Pac-12 qb's are meh. Jones has raw talent but he's raw and a nothead.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Definitely up on Brissett and he could be another come from nowhere type. Shone against FSU last year. Has the tools.

El Caliente

Reaction score
I really like that Taysom Hill kid from BYU. He is the Tim Tebow that can complete passes. People sleep on him because he is at BYU, but every big game he has been in he has come out looking amazing.

I can see him as a second tier option for a lot of teams looking for a mobile and accurate passer.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I can't believe I left off Vernon Adams, who is eerily similar to our own starting QB (and as such would be a fun draft pick next year for us).