Tell me about your college team

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time getting excited for the NFL season this year. Havnt even watched the first two Seahawk preseason games, i'm not really even sure why. But I can't wait for college football to start.

Tell me about your favorite team.

Give me your prediction, of what type of season they're going to have. Your teams stud players. A breakout/freshman player or two to keep an eye on. And anything else you think we should know.

My team of course is the Ducks. I think they're going to be really good again IF Vernon Adams stays healthy and plays like I think he's capable of. The team overall is more talented, and deep, then last years team but of course we no longer have Mariota running the show. If Adams is the real thing I think we can be right back in the playoff conversation (I expect the pac 12 title to come down to Oregon and USC). If he gets hurt, or struggles, i could see the Ducks losing 3 or 4 games to USC, Michigan State, Arizona State and Stanford.

A couple of studs to keep an eye on are RB Royce Freeman and DE Defforest Buckner (who I think will be a 1st round pick next year). Also they get their best WR Bralon Addison back, after missing all of last season. Skill positions on offense are absolutely loaded with depth.

A few new comers are Vernon Adams of course. True freshman Canton Kaumualate on the d'line. And Tony Brooks James who will be a redshirt freshman and will be the 2nd running back now that Thomas Tyner is out for the season. Brooks James reminds a lot of people of Lamichael James. Also keep an eye out for true freshman RB/WR's Taj Griffin and Kirk Merritt. Incredibly explosive play makers.

Can't wait for it to kick off. And for that 2nd week game against Michigan State.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the Dawgs to go 12-0 this year. We just lost too much top-notch NFL defensive talent. With a little improvement at the QB position, and the emergence on both sides of the ball of Budda Baker, I'm thinking 11-1 sounds about right.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Two programs I follow because sons went there:

Texas A&M

Georgia Tech

A&M should have improved defense and have a high scoring offense, but in SEC west will likely be middle of pack.

I hate GT's offense, but it does present problems for opponents that only see it once a year.

Expect both to go 8-5, anything better would be icing on top.

I do get one road trip this year, going to see GT at Notre Dame. Looking forward to it.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Alright, my team is WSU.

12 wins in the last three years, which sadly makes it the most successful three year run in about a decade. They fired the DC the day after the Apple Cup last year(something about Cyler Miles torching you didn't sit well with Leach) so there is a new DC, Alex Grinch, that is preaching all the standard new defensive coordinator philosophies: Create turnovers, fundamentals, tackling, running to the ball.

Only moderate improvement on defense could result in a sizeable leap in win total this year. The defense was a disaster from start to finish last year. They lost Xavier Cooper, who was damn good, but they have reasonable depth up front, a lot of thick, strong guys that can hold their own. Ivan Mckellan, Kache Palacio and Jeremiah Allison are the best of a pretty good and pretty deep linebacker core. I thought they got bogged down in the overloaded scheme last year and were caught flatfooted too much. They are all good athletes and really excel playing downhill.

The secondary last year was a joke and they lost their best corner(Daquan Brown) for breaking one of Leach's golden rules. They have a lot of young talent, but they are raw and the guys that have been in the program didn't get a lot of coaching last year because they were coached by grad assistants. It is kind of an indictment of the secondary that Taylor Tiululu is projected to start at safety for the 3rd year in a row. He has been getting humiliated by better athletes since he got here.

The offense is loaded. The receiving corps is deep, the offensive line is all back. Joe Dahl at left tackle is the gem of the bunch. The running backs are back, and they've got a couple more to add to the stable. The only question is at quarterback with Peyton Bender or Luke Falk. Falk played last year after Halliday's leg was shattered and didn't reasonably well. He is accurate and has a decent arm. Struggles to throw decisively down the seams. Throws a great fade though. Peyton Bender has the bigger arm, not as seasoned, makes some dicey decisions. If I were a betting man I would say Falk starts the season.

Overall, I don't know how the hell they are going to do. Year 4 in a program is usually the make or break year and there has been a growing sense of anger from the "Old Wazzu" part of the alumni base who hate Leach for not being an alum and not winning immediately. I think Leach is going to eventually win big, might be this year, might be next year, but I've been wrong before.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":23tq7i73 said:
Sadly, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the Dawgs to go 12-0 this year. We just lost too much top-notch NFL defensive talent. With a little improvement at the QB position, and the emergence on both sides of the ball of Budda Baker, I'm thinking 11-1 sounds about right.

Who's gonna win the qb battle? Budda gonna be a full time 2 way player? He was originally committed to Oregon as an offensive player. I think he can make more of a difference on that side of the ball. Havnt been overly impressed with him as a safety. Ill miss John Ross this year, fun kid to watch.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I feel like Lindquist is going to win the QB battle. Sounds like he's showing he can take care of the football. His mobility might be needed too since the O-line is going to be pretty questionable.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Tennessee. The Vols are back. Losing early to Oklahoma or Florida would be a major disappointment and not winning the SEC East would be a mild disappointment. Youth, uncertainty on the OL, and a brutal schedule may keep it from happening. But studs galore at the skill positions and DL, where Kahlil McKenzie looks like an NFL starter as a true freshman, provide excitement. If not this year, this is a playoff team in the next year or two.

drrew

Reaction score
University of Adelaide All Blacks - I think we're going to have a really strong season. You probably don't mean rugby though.

I've worked at the UW for just short of 15 years now and I expect the Huskies to surprise some this season. It all depends on if they can even get mediocre play at the QB position, there is enough talent elsewhere to challenge the non-Oregon part of the Pac12.

Tical21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2svsdidi said:
Tical21":2svsdidi said:

Who's gonna win the qb battle? Budda gonna be a full time 2 way player? He was originally committed to Oregon as an offensive player. I think he can make more of a difference on that side of the ball. Havnt been overly impressed with him as a safety. Ill miss John Ross this year, fun kid to watch.
I'm rooting for Browning to win the job. I've had enough of watching QB's that can't throw it. Just give me a reason for optimism at this point. I don't think our long term outlook improves at all with Jeff Lindquist as our QB.

I don't know if Budda is going to be full-time both ways since we have a couple pretty good RB's. I'm sure he'll get in the mix and have a chance to see if he's better than the guys we have, but I'm sure he'll start at safety. He's getting all sorts of preseason accolades so somebody thinks he's going to be pretty good. It's just so hard to evaluate freshman sometimes, especially with a bunch of other freshman back there with him. He's just so small though. Can he be Earl Thomas lite?

Almost all of our front 7 is gone, but the new kids seem like they're going to be instantly dominant and keep up the Dawgs reputation. Travis Feeney might be a top-5 draft pick, Jaydon will probably win the Heisman if Dwayne Washington stumbles at all, and it seems like it is just business as usual, and we'll be in fine shape to get into the playoffs.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Use to be the Huskies. I gave up college football and now just follow it for the prospects. When only a few teams have a shot at winning it all every year it kind of gets old.

To stay on topic. The Huskies will suck this year. They will beat the loser opponents they schedule and lose to every legit team. This will mean they will make the tostitos butt wipe bowl and get smashed by an average team.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Check the siggy. First game of the season (6 DAYS!!!!!) is against Michigan and our most favorite Harbaugh brother. There is a lot of hype about this game in Utah. One of the most talked about non-conference games in recent schedule history. Everyone in Michigan is treating this dance with the U of U as a "cupcake game." So naturally, I want Utah to give them the biggest a** whooping they'll get all season. GO UTES!!!

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
My favorite college team was likely going to win the NCAA Championship until some Asshat University one state and 350 miles away decided to poach our QB in his senior year just so he can ride the pine as a backup...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":anov2z6n said:
My favorite college team was likely going to win the NCAA Championship until some Asshat University one state and 350 miles away decided to poach our QB in his senior year just so he can ride the pine as a backup...

Don't be surprised if Eastern still takes it all the way.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3qir2943 said:

That Asshat University named him the starter today. Thank you.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
JSeahawks":k04rtrmc said:
Trenchbroom":k04rtrmc said:

That Asshat University named him the starter today. Thank you.

Just in time to make my favorite team 0-1. Joy!

You know I am just messing with you. Wish Big Play VA all the best. ;)

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just for the record, it's not poaching, when the QB made the first call. And if you want to blame anyone, blame his HS coach, who told him he should look into transferring to a bigger school, but he wanted VA to go to UCLA.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
CPHawk":zp1llusr said:
Just for the record, it's not poaching, when the QB made the first call. And if you want to blame anyone, blame his HS coach, who told him he should look into transferring to a bigger school, but he wanted VA to go to UCLA.

I blame Russell Carrington Wilson, personally. He started this "moving after you graduate" shiz, and VA did work out with him before last season.

Good thing I am a bigger Seahawk fan then I am a fan of my alma mater or else I might really be bitter. :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Huskies . . . it's going to be a hard row to hoe during this rebuilding period, but I feel excited about the future under Coach Petersen after the drunk ran the program into a state of perpetual mediocrity and lack of development.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
USC.

Finally, their cupboard isn't bare. For the first time in 5 years, USC has depth at every position. Their biggest question entering the year revolves with their pass rush, that was abysmal last season.. even with Leonard Williams anchoring the middle of the line. Now he's gone, so it will be interesting to see who can pick up the slack.

This team is loaded with talent though, the only question is if they can put it all together. A year ago they lost 3 games they shouldn't have (BC, ASU, Utah) and it seems like USC's M.O. is always to punt away wins they should not. Sark also doesn't have the best reputation for such things.

That said.. Sark has also never had a roster this talented.

Best case prediction: Pac-12 champs, playoff team (0-1 losses)
Worst case prediction: Expectations crumble them like the 2012 USC team and they win 7-8 games

I'll go with 11-2 with a Pac-12 championship win over Oregon :th2thumbs: