2015 Huskies: predictions, prognostications & post-mortems

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's one week til the season opener in Boise. This is where we discuss what we want to happen, what we think will happen, and what the hell just happened. Let's start with the schedule.

9/4 @ Boise State
9/12 vs. Sacramento State
9/19 vs. Utah State
9/26 vs. California
10/8 @ USC
10/17 vs. Oregon
10/24 @ Stanford
10/31 vs. Arizona
11/7 vs. Utah
11/14 @ Arizona State
11/21 @ Oregon State
11/27 vs. Washington State

Off the top of my head I'm going to say the Huskies finish 6-6. The offensive line is an unknown, and a bunch of talent on defense left via the draft.

At QB is a bunch of question marks. Is Lindquist sufficiently improved from the trainwreck he was last year? Is KJ Carta-Samuels ready to assume the helm? What about true freshman wunderkind Jake Browning? For the long-term success of the team I'm kind of hoping coach Peterson redshirts Browning this year. Throwing a true freshman behind an inexperienced & suspect offensive line is a recipe for disaster and I don't think it will make any immediate difference for this year. Let him wait til 2016 when the line is more experienced with the schemes and with each other, and when he'll have John Ross III back as a weapon.

Let's hear your thoughts now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just curious where you see the 6 wins?

Sac state and Utah state should be wins. Oregon state and wsu on paper should be wins, but neither is a gimme. Cal is my sleeper team in the PAC 12, I think they'll have one of the best offenses in the country.

I'm gonna say 3-9. Sorry. That could improve if qb play is better than I expect it to be.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I see at least 6 wins this year, but only because I'm banking on the belief that Petersen is very capable of developing players, which is something the last few UW coaches didn't do. I actually expect every player who played last year to play better this year. I also expect the QB play to be better, regardless of who wins the job.

drrew

Reaction score
3-9 is way too pessimistic, but it's coming from an Oregon fan, so no surprise.

@SC, @Oregon, @Stanford are the only games that should be seen as definite losses. They won't win the other 9, but 7-5 isn't out of the question.

A lot of individual talent on defense is gone, but that talent didn't always lead to great team defense. I think the maturation of younger players, especially in the secondary will provide better results.

Mathis, Qualls, Feeney, and Baker are all definite NFL players, there is still high end talent on this defense.

There is a lot of talent at RB and I'm not particularly worried about the QB play. If some combination of Lindquist, Carta-Samuels, and Browning can provide even mediocre Pac12 quality QB play, it will be light years above what Miles provided.

Just as an FYI, I'm completely ignoring the OL because it's been a complete mess for 10 years and I'd like to hope at some time that won't be the case, but I have no confidence when that may be.

Tical21

Reaction score
I like where Arizona is going this year, so I'll conservatively say 11.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":jrske9v2 said:
Just curious where you see the 6 wins?

Sac state and Utah state should be wins. Oregon state and wsu on paper should be wins, but neither is a gimme. Cal is my sleeper team in the PAC 12, I think they'll have one of the best offenses in the country.

I'm gonna say 3-9. Sorry. That could improve if qb play is better than I expect it to be.
I'm saying Sac State, Utah State, Cal, & Washington State are wins. Then I think they win two out of Arizona, Utah, Arizona State & Oregon State, I just don't know which two.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
6-7 wins for UW. Led by the true Freshman QB, Browning.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
9/4 @ Boise State - Loss
9/12 vs. Sacramento State - Win
9/19 vs. Utah State - Loss (CHUCKIE KEATON!! Btw Utah State did win 10 games last year)
9/26 vs. California - Loss
10/8 @ USC - Loss
10/17 vs. Oregon - Loss
10/24 @ Stanford - Loss
10/31 vs. Arizona - Loss
11/7 vs. Utah - Loss
11/14 @ Arizona State - Loss
11/21 @ Oregon State - Toss up.. leaning loss since it's at Corvalis
11/27 vs. Washington State - Toss up.. will say win.

So I'll say 2-10. This is a brutal schedule.

:lol: at Husky fans predicting 6+ wins this year though

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
razgriz737":2e8zlb8d said:
Rumors on Twitter saying Browning has likely won the starting QB spot.
Good for him, I guess. I just hope getting destroyed as a true freshman doesn't ruin his career.

Dougula

Reaction score
I see 2 wins non conf and 2 wins in conf and stealing 1 somewhere along the way for 5 wins as we suffer growing pains of a true Freshman QB at the helm.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeatownJay":26x8wwyf said:
It's one week til the season opener in Boise. This is where we discuss what we want to happen, what we think will happen, and what the hell just happened. Let's start with the schedule.

9/4 @ Boise State
9/12 vs. Sacramento State
9/19 vs. Utah State
9/26 vs. California
10/8 @ USC
10/17 vs. Oregon
10/24 @ Stanford
10/31 vs. Arizona
11/7 vs. Utah
11/14 @ Arizona State
11/21 @ Oregon State
11/27 vs. Washington State

Off the top of my head I'm going to say the Huskies finish 6-6. The offensive line is an unknown, and a bunch of talent on defense left via the draft.

At QB is a bunch of question marks. Is Lindquist sufficiently improved from the trainwreck he was last year? Is KJ Carta-Samuels ready to assume the helm? What about true freshman wunderkind Jake Browning? For the long-term success of the team I'm kind of hoping coach Peterson redshirts Browning this year. Throwing a true freshman behind an inexperienced & suspect offensive line is a recipe for disaster and I don't think it will make any immediate difference for this year. Let him wait til 2016 when the line is more experienced with the schemes and with each other, and when he'll have John Ross III back as a weapon.

Let's hear your thoughts now.

If the Huskies actually finish 6-6, that would be incredible given how young this team will be, especially at QB and the offensive line. People won't be happy with that record, but it would be a huge achievement with the youth on the team, and a really good prognostic sign for future years.

I suspect they'll win perhaps 4 games, unless the QB situation turns out better than I expect, or unless the defense performs substantially better relative to its talent than last year. Utah State, Sacramento State, Washington State should be wins. They could potentially beat Utah or Cal. I'd be shocked if they win any of the others.

kearly

Reaction score
3 wins. I won't root for failure, but the best thing that could happen this season is Peterson hiring a new DC after it is over. Other than that, it's a lost season.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":lqkom0rv said:
3 wins. I won't root for failure, but the best thing that could happen this season is Peterson hiring a new DC after it is over. Other than that, it's a lost season.
Geez, and I'm the pessimistic one. Sure.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
We're a quarter of the way through the season and the team is 2-1, which is what I thought they'd be at this point. I will say that Browning has looked better than I expected, as has the offensive line when pass protecting. Their run blocking still needs work, though. And the defense has been much better than I expected. I still hold to my 6-6 prediction.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1e95wtop said:
We're a quarter of the way through the season and the team is 2-1, which is what I thought they'd be at this point. I will say that Browning has looked better than I expected, as has the offensive line when pass protecting. Their run blocking still needs work, though. And the defense has been much better than I expected. I still hold to my 6-6 prediction.

What 4 games do you see them winning?

They may very well lose the next 7.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3fzylc3d said:
SeatownJay":3fzylc3d said:

What 4 games do you see them winning?

They may very well lose the next 7.
See my post upthread, but swap Oregon State & Cal.