2016 RB prospects

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Who are the running backs to keep an eye on during the college season?

Edit: I've read English's article in the other thread. Just looking for a few more names from others. Thanks!

CPHawk

Reaction score
There's a ton of good ones coming out the next two years. We can skip over the kids like Ezikiel, he'll be long gone. But Booker from Utah could be a possibility.

drrew

Reaction score
Kiper 2016 RB prospects

Seniors:
Jonathan Williams - Arkansas
DJ Foster - Arizona State
Devontae Booker - Utah
Devon Johnson - Marshall
Kenneth Dixon - La Tech

Underclass:
Ezekiel Elliot - Ohio State
Derrick Henry - Alabama
James Conner - Pitt
Alex Collins - Arkansas
Corey Clement - Wisconsin

ARhawk

Reaction score
My own personal bias aside, I think both Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins will be effective backs at the next level.

Williams (6'1" 225) is big, fast, and has good hands out of the backfield. He doesnt run with as much power as you would expect to see from a guy that size, but he will easily run through arm tackles, and occasionally lower his shoulder and run over smaller DBs. He reminds me a lot of Knile Davis when he was at Arkansas with a similar size and running style. It's really unfortunate that he will miss this season due to injury.

Collins (5'11" 215) looks much more like a Seahawks back than Williams. He has excellent vision, Marshawn-lite ability to get yards after contact, and is suprisingly elusive in the open field. He doesnt have the same freak athleticism as Williams, but he makes up for it with his vision and power. Last year, he looked sluggish at times, but this offseason he shed ten pounds, and in just a one game sample, he appears to have much better explosiveness. He also has really good balance to seemingly fall forward on every run, a-la Lynch. He is definitely not Marshawn (who is?), but I wouldnt be surprised at all if this is a guy Pete and John target in the next draft if they miss out on Derrick Henry.

It also helps these guys that they run behind one of the best O-lines in the country (doesn't necessarily mean they can't be good without a good line). Bret Bielema was always able to put together dominant O-lines when he was at Wisconsin, and that also seems to be his main priority here at Arkansas. Denver Kirkland (6'5" 340) is a guy to keep an eye on. He was a dominant run-blocker and more than servicable in pass protection at RG last year, but this year he switched over to LT. Im anxious to see if he is able to handle speed rushers off the edge at his size.

chris98251

Reaction score
Give me a guy that can make yards without a great line, he doesn't have to lead the nation but have the desire to get every inch from a run, will initiate contact versus take a hit, have lateral agility and great balance and a wider butt for a solid base and power.

massari

Reaction score
CPHawk":1hk4kh9t said:
There's a ton of good ones coming out the next two years. We can skip over the kids like Ezikiel, he'll be long gone. But Booker from Utah could be a possibility.

If the Hawks really like him like they did Lockett, they'll trade up for him. Still a possibility he and Henry could be available late in the 1st though.

McGruff

Reaction score
I really like Henry for us. He actually reminds me of Shaun Alender, but the redzone version of Shaun. He doesn't have Marshawn's wide base running style, but his sheer bulk makes him hard to bring down. He's got good balance and smooth long striding speed. But like Shaun, his best asset is his vision. He looks like he's always think8ng 5 yards downfield, setting up the next move as he runs.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, Henry seems overrated to me. I'd bet if you swapped him out with Elliot, Fournette, Perine or Freeman. Anyone of them would get 2000yds behind that line.

drrew

Reaction score
CPHawk":33hdvbqj said:
I don't know, Henry seems overrated to me.

I agree, he does not play nearly as big as his size.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ne6xrj9 said:
HuskerHawk":2ne6xrj9 said:
Have to wait a year but Dalvin Cook... wooowee.

That running back class is going to be insanely good.

Cook, Fournette, Chubb, Perine, Freeman, Hurd, Michel

Yeah.. here's hoping Lynch plays in 2016 .. then we can find his replacement in 2017.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
2017 running back class looks tasty.

Position renaissance in college. Way more quality backs compared to QB's these days.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Fournette is looking like a monster against Auburn today. Trying to tackle him high, tackle him low and just plain whiffing on tackles. I don't know if he'd be too 'big' of a back at the pro level but he's just manhandling defenses at the college level.

bandiger

Reaction score
What are the chances of drafting Fournette, this dude looks like AD/AP. Gamechanger.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":1csmoodo said:
Fournette is looking like a monster against Auburn today. Trying to tackle him high, tackle him low and just plain whiffing on tackles. I don't know if he'd be too 'big' of a back at the pro level but he's just manhandling defenses at the college level.

I was going to post about him. I saw someone mention on twitter say "Leonard Fournette is the most dominant RB I’ve watched in person since Adrian Peterson"

Dude is 6-1 and 230 lbs. AP is 6-1 220 so I dont think hes that big. Eddie Lacy is only 5-11 but 234.

Says he is a Sophmore right now so wouldnt he have to play next year too and then go into the draft? RB usually dont get taken high anymore. Usually only 1-2 go in the entire first round and its usually past the top 10 except for Richardson in the past couple drafts and he was a huge bust.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
That's correct; he's a true sophomore, so we wouldn't be able to draft him next year. Arm tackles don't bring this guy down, that's for sure.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'd be beyond ecstatic if we somehow traded up for Fournette. I felt the same about Gurley and he wasn't nearly as dominant as Fournette can be.

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":g97cw42o said:
I really like Henry for us. He actually reminds me of Shaun Alender, but the redzone version of Shaun. He doesn't have Marshawn's wide base running style, but his sheer bulk makes him hard to bring down. He's got good balance and smooth long striding speed. But like Shaun, his best asset is his vision. He looks like he's always think8ng 5 yards downfield, setting up the next move as he runs.

This is who I want. The guy is massive, seems to shrug off tackles, but (like Marshawn) is also athletic and elusive when needed. What I think he has that Marshawn doesn't is breakaway speed. This guy seems to have an extra gear that allows him to pull away from DB's and he seems to accelerate quickly to it. As a special combination of size, speed and athletic ability, I think he'd be a perfect fit for us and is likely to appeal to Pete and John's sensibilities.