Stupid question?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
What do the numbers mean next to the colleges on the list of games I can watch?

For example on the list there is:

Middle Tennessee v 2 Alabama

SF Austin v 3 TCU

19 Oklahoma v 23 Tennessee

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Thanks. Will read up how they come to those rankings.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":ewayxrkt said:

Sometimes they use the AP Poll (which is the Top 25 teams voted on every week by the Associated Press sports writers). Other times they use the Amway Coaches Poll (which is the Top 25 teams ostensibly voted on every week by a select group of college football coaches, but really voted on by their assistants).

At the end of the season, a 13-member committee selects and seeds the Top 4 teams to take part in the College Football Playoff.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3lz0z8z8 said:
In the coaches poll, a coach hands the voting sheet to an ill informed flunkie who fill the form out for him and turns it in.

In the AP, a reporter who has written column after column an which conference is best submits his "unbiased" vote.

In the computer polls, the top 25 that start the season are given far more credit for where they began than how good they really end up being.

But holy shit, it only took 100 years and we have a kind of sort of playoff.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xod45kxg said:
UK_Seahawk":xod45kxg said:
In the coaches poll, a coach hands the voting sheet to an ill informed flunkie who fill the form out for him and turns it in.

In the AP, a reporter who has written column after column an which conference is best submits his "unbiased" vote.

In the computer polls, the top 25 that start the season are given far more credit for where they began than how good they really end up being.

Call me crazy but do I detect fragrant hint of cynicism here?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":a6v4thx3 said:
Scottemojo":a6v4thx3 said:
UK_Seahawk":a6v4thx3 said:

Call me crazy but do I detect fragrant hint of cynicism here?
The East German Judge thinks you might be on to something.

Tical21

Reaction score
Don't bother looking at those rankings for the next 8 weeks or so. They don't mean anything at all. A lot of those teams in the top 10 now are going to lose 3 times and a lot of teams that weren't ranked in the top 50 in the preseason will start working their way up.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It still mystifies me why they bother ranking any team until at least four weeks into the season.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
sc85sis":3sl169j5 said:
It still mystifies me why they bother ranking any team until at least four weeks into the season.

TV, tradition, clicks, etc etc etc