Needs for 2016 draft

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not sexy but i'd like to see them put some early draft picks towards the o'line, rather then waiting tip the 3rd day of the draft.

Right now in order i'd go:

Center
Tackle (gonna be tough to keep Okung)
RB (although hopefully Lynch will stick around one more year since 2017 is STACKED with RB's)
CB
S
WR (I like the future of both Lockett and Richardson but still searching for a stud big WR)

What do you think?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Man, I'd really have to put RB first.

I know that a first round is not the best place to get a running back, but I still think it will be this team's #1 priority next offseason.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RB I think is really based on Lynch's next 14 games and if he wants to keep playing next year. Like you said, if he comes back in 2016 that's perfect as the 2017 RB group is loaded. Wouldn't be surprised if Turbin hits FA and is brought back on the cheap to pair with Lynch and Rawls. If not Turbin then another vet fill-in, those backs tend to be pretty readily available

I think OL is a major need, again. I actually think we will keep our first rounder this year to select an OT because I don't see Okung returning. Hopefully Britt, Nowak and Gilliam develop into good players as the year goes on.. and we are able to re-sign Sweezy

As kearly said earlier today, the Kam holdout showed we are in desperate need of a capable backup behind him should he ever get injured or should the fragile situation finally break entirely. Cornerback is also going to need to be addressed because Simon is just not dependable and Cary Williams was a band-aid for Maxwell's departure + all the injuries sustained in the playoffs

Hopefully our lovely OC figures out how to use Graham soon, I think that could alleviate a need for a WR should Richardson recover. You'd have a pretty nice trio between Paul, ADB and Lockett in that case with Graham bringing you that big target. I would however like to see them find a blocking TE.

Will also probably need a LB to fill Irvin's spot on the roster.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
LT: Adequate day 1 replacement for Okung. Not that I think he's not worth 7m -- I do. But I think Seattle would like to allocate his cap spend elsewhere.

Next Kam or next Earl.

Next Browner/Maxwell prototype.

Dual threat TE

At this point, just want to see the next wave of special players come up. You can't be great everywhere. And most often you can't dictate what special players are available when you pick. I would rather get a special LB or CB at a position of strength than a good but probably won't be resigned player (Maxwell, Irvin, etc.) type player at a position of relative weakness.

I'm confident that we can get by at any position of weakness with just generic day 3 development prospects. I'd hope the early picks more or less provide players of special/impact quality.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
OL, CB, RB, WR, S, DT.

A lot of people will question listing WR, but Kearse is a FA, Baldwin is a FA after 2016, Richardson has to prove he can stay healthy and it's hard to hold out much hope for Matthews.

The Washington duo on the PS might ease this situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
We can't get what we need in the draft, only if the right Coach is fired and his OC is available.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2c8l9qfg said:
WR (I like the future of both Lockett and Richardson but still searching for a stud big WR)

What do you think?

I agree that It appears that they have been looking for that big stud WR, and as impressive as guys like Dez, Julio and Calvin are, I believe that the much heralded "stud" # 1 WR is one of the more overrated aspects today as it relates to winning football. It's something that's crossed my mind from time to time.

The question I would posit would be: Is it really needed?

Think of the teams that have one the Super Bowls in recent years and who their best WRs have been: Edelman, Baldwin/Tate, late career Boldin, Cruz was a bigtime #1 that season but not particularly big, Greg Jennings was a pro bowler that season, and we finally land on 2009 Marques Colston who was a 7th round pick)

So we're really going back to Plaxico Burress to identify a big bodied highly drafted WR1 that contributed to a championship. Harrison and Wayne were 1st rounders, but not big boys, that contributed to a Super Bowl too.

It seems that more than anything, perhaps the best thing to have is shifty chain movers with great hands.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread:

OL,RB,DT,CB,S. and yes, a bigger bodied WR

hburn21

Reaction score
For a WR we dont need that dominate dez bryant, julio jones type. We just need another Sidney Rice, a guy who never had 1000 yard but someone who makes the tough contested catches on the sidelines and the endzone. And that can be found outside of round 1.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hburn21":27m7ylqx said:
For a WR we dont need that dominate dez bryant, julio jones type. We just need another Sidney Rice, a guy who never had 1000 yard but someone who makes the tough contested catches on the sidelines and the endzone. And that can be found outside of round 1.

Good point. I think Kasen Williams could develop into that role if they can somehow hang on to him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here's my way too early Seahawks 2016 mock draft. This is based on 2015 draft positions -

1st rd - Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin
2nd rd - Devontae Booker, RB, Utah
3rd rd - Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio St
4th rd - Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS, Louisville
7th rd (from Cowboys) - Trevone Boykin, QB, TCU
7th rd - Clint Van Horn, OT, Marshall

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
As it stands right now, DT is going to be a huge need next year. Mebane, Rubin, Dobbs, and King are all scheduled to become free agents of some type at the end of this year, leaving Jordan Hill as the only true DT on the roster heading into 2016. This of course could all change if we re-sign some of these guys.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ktdn2y4 said:
Here's my way too early Seahawks 2016 mock draft. This is based on 2015 draft positions -

Is that really all the picks we have? Hopefully we get a few comp picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1ykm6jwj said:
hawkfan68":1ykm6jwj said:

As of right now, yes. The Seahawks traded the 5th rd pick for McCrae and their 6th rd pick for Seisay. it's going to be a very long 3rd day in terms of time between picks for the Seahawks if this holds.

massari

Reaction score
It's impossible to know what the needs will be at the draft before free agency starts.

I'm going to assume Lynch and Rawls finish the season strong, therefore they won't need a RB early in the draft. Also going to assume they don't re-sign Okung, Mebane, Irvin, Kearse while cutting Cary Williams.

With that, imo our needs in order would be:

1-OL
2-DT
3-CB
4-OLB
5-WR

Hopefully the draft goes something like this:

1st round pick-OL
2nd-OL
3rd-DT
3rd (comp pick)-CB
4th-OL
5th-OLB

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u5ql9pu said:

I know that a first round is not the best place to get a running back, but I still think it will be this team's #1 priority next offseason.

If Lynch doesn't retire and hasn't declined very much along with Rawls having a solid season, I think they could wait until that supposed stacked RB class in 2017 to make an addition.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kv17e1n said:
hawkfan68":2kv17e1n said:

According to this we should have an extra 3,5,6,7

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draf ... ion-chart/

xgeoff

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3v532oou said:

Yes, absolutely! I like Rawls but he is not the answer long term IMO. Would love for us to get someone who looks Beasty like Carlos Hyde. And with Marshawn looking hurt more and more often, it's time to get his successor into the Organization.

Frankly, I'd like to see more of Rod Smith running the ball. Thought he looked promising in pre-season.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Offensive line is the first, second, and third biggest needs for Seattle. Luckily it looks like Seattle may have a top 10 pick to use on one.

Latest posts