Steve Sarkisian walking away was a boon for Huskies

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
For five years, the University of Washington football program was managed by somebody who turned out to be unmanageable. And then, on Dec. 2, 2013 — a date Huskies fans ought to recognize as Liberation Day — Sarkisian quit with two seasons remaining on his contract.

Sarkisian’s yearning to return to USC made it possible for Washington to land Boise State’s Chris Petersen, a far more accomplished coach who does not berate players half his age.

That’s not to say he tolerates the kind of unsportsmanlike penalty that unhinged Sarkisian the other night. Petersen simply chooses to remain composed, informing any player whose conduct costs 15 yards to look for a seat on the bench and, ahem, stay there.

Of the countless differences between the former Huskies coach and the man who succeeded him, self-control is the most obvious. Petersen preaches it — embodies it, actually — while Sarkisian presumes he’s too important to be constrained by expectations of etiquette.

Washington’s 17-12 upset of USC showcased some other reasons why Dec. 2, 2013 looks pivotal in the Huskies’ attempt to re-emerge as a national power. Thanks to an open date on the schedule last weekend, Petersen was given 12 days to prepare for the 17th-ranked Trojans.

The result?

“Sarkisian got completely out-coached by Petersen,” wrote Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel. “The team with less talented, inferior athletes and a liability at quarterback won with a better game plan, crisper execution and fewer penalties.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sp ... rylink=cpy

kearly

Reaction score
Steve Sarkisian made a lot of enemies with the local media when he was here. Mike Salk keeps telling the same story about how Sark once got snarky at a press conference by saying he didn't read the internet. Sure, it's petty and it's kind of weak that Salk keeps bringing it up, but it also shows you that Sark gave Salk reasons to feel antipathy. Danny O'neil openly called for Sark's job after a 9 win season which had UW finishing in the top 25 for the first time in a decade (Sark took the USC job a couple days later). At the time I thought Danny O'Neil was smoking crack, but I now I totally understand why he held Sarkisian in such low regard.

Salk and Danny both say stupid stuff all the time, but when they are out to get a coach or GM I've learned to listen to them, because they know stuff behind the scenes that doesn't see the light of day. Reading this article with John McGrath dancing all over Sark's grave makes me think the hatred for Sark was well established in the print media as well.

There are probably a lot of 49ers fans who were pissed at Tim Kawakami for how early he went negative against Baalke and York. But we now understand that Kawakami had access that made him aware of the upcoming 49ers disaster before it would become readily apparent to the rest of us. I think it is the same thing here with the NW media and Sark.

At this point I am rooting for Sark to take a low stress job, probably as an OC or QB coach somewhere, so that he can start to get his life put back together. The stress is what's driving him to drink, he won't have any chance to beat his alcoholism so long as he remains in such a stressful position.

justafan

Reaction score
kearly":3reo8ial said:
Steve Sarkisian made a lot of enemies with the local media when he was here. Mike Salk keeps telling the same story about how Sark once got snarky at a press conference by saying he didn't read the internet. Sure, it's petty and it's kind of weak that Salk keeps bringing it up, but it also shows you that Sark gave Salk reasons to feel antipathy. Danny O'neil openly called for Sark's job after a 9 win season which had UW finishing in the top 25 for the first time in a decade (Sark took the USC job a couple days later). At the time I thought Danny O'Neil was smoking crack, but I now I totally understand why he held Sarkisian in such low regard.

Salk and Danny both say stupid stuff all the time, but when they are out to get a coach or GM I've learned to listen to them, because they know stuff behind the scenes that doesn't see the light of day. Reading this article with John McGrath dancing all over Sark's grave makes me think the hatred for Sark was well established in the print media as well.

There are probably a lot of 49ers fans who were pissed at Tim Kawakami for how early he went negative against Baalke and York. But we now understand that Kawakami had access that made him aware of the upcoming 49ers disaster before it would become readily apparent to the rest of us. I think it is the same thing here with the NW media and Sark.

At this point I am rooting for Sark to take a low stress job, probably as an OC or QB coach somewhere, so that he can start to get his life put back together. The stress is what's driving him to drink, he won't have any chance to beat his alcoholism so long as he remains in such a stressful position.

Good points.I never realized how much dislike there was from the press,
I thought Sark did a good job at taking us in the right direction.We might not have gone any further with him,but he helped us get to a point where a coach like Peterson would think about coming here.
The program was in a bad way when he got here.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I agree. The program was crap when we hired him. Both parties got a lot out of the Sark Huskies for a while, then it was time for them both to move on. Peterson is obviously is taking the Dawgs to the next level. Hopefully all the way--I remember that Don James team that won the national championship (they made us share it with Miami, who we would've destroyed in a game--big reason there is a national championship game now). The Purple Reign defense was like the eighties Bears defense or some shit.