Pete Carroll's rugby-style tackle changing college football

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Urban Meyer wanted nothing to do with rugby-style tackling at Ohio State. The idea of defenders using their shoulders to tackle, changing target points on a ball carrier and emphasizing wrapping up around the legs wasn't an easy sell to Meyer. Like so many coaches, Meyer had been taught that tacklers should force their heads across the chest of a ball carrier -- the “head across the bow” model that represented Tackling 101 for so long.

But Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash pushed to change techniques after the 2013 season. Ash watched Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll's video of the Hawk Tackle, which sells the rugby tackle as safer for the head and more efficient to bring down ball carriers. Ash studied his past and present defenses and realized many of his players used rugby tackling anyway, not the technique being coached.

The idea of rugby tackling “was one that I fought at first and I said no, we're not going to do that,” Meyer said. “Chris Ash is very persistent, he's a very good coach, and (like) good coaches who really believe in something, stayed on me. … I listened. I did as much research as I could and ultimately we jumped in. Tremendous success right out of the get-go. You could see the difference.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... e-football

sutz

Reaction score
Well, when they're paying attention, the Seahawks are certainly one of the better tackling teams in the country. It's necessary for our style of defense. We can leave guys on an island, believing that they can make a one-on-one tackle if need be, and helps limit yards after contact.