18. Ole Miss (7-2)
19. Texas A&M (6-2)
20. Mississippi State (6-2)
21. Northwestern (6-2)
22. Temple (7-1)
23. UCLA (6-2)
24. Toledo (7-0)
25. Houston (8-0)

Not really too much to argue against, imo. Notre Dame I think is a little too high, and they're in a pretty good position going forward. If they can beat Stanford I think they'll be in. LSU and Alabama play in an elimination game this weekend. Ohio State and MIchigan will play in a elimination game later. And Baylor vs TCU will happen.

Rat

Reaction score
The only really surprising thing to me is Notre Dame ahead of Baylor.

I'm impressed they have Memphis that high.

No way is Alabama - LSU an elimination game. LSU with one loss (to Alabama) might not even drop out of the top four for next week. I don't think Alabama with two losses is completely done either.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Alabama in the top 4 is an absolute joke. When you lose at home to Ole Miss, you don't get to stay ahead of unbeaten teams or ND who has a close loss on the road to the number 1 team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1ehwih4c said:
Alabama in the top 4 is an absolute joke. When you lose at home to Ole Miss, you don't get to stay ahead of unbeaten teams or ND who has a close loss on the road to the number 1 team.

I have no problem with it, Baylor's out of conference schedule is an absolute joke. Michigan State really should have one loss if Michigan's punter didn't muff a snap. Iowa's best win is a 10-6 win over Wisconsin. TCU's only "difficult" opponent thus far is a Minnesota team that squeaked by Kent State and Ohio. I suppose Notre Dame has a minor case to be ahead of Alabama, but they too barely got past Virginia and Temple.

Besides, it's early. This will all work itself out. Getting all riled up about Alabama's placement in the poll when they still have LSU, Miss State in Starkvegas and the Iron Bowl is foolish. Not to mention a likely date with Florida in the SECCG should they get through those 3 games.

In other words, if Bama finished 12-1, they're absolutely a Top 4 team.

kearly

Reaction score
I wish they would go to an 8 team playoff. Might actually be a real issue this year if a big conference team runs the table and misses. The whole excuse about any kind of extended playoffs being too much for college schedules to handle is such a laughable lie.

Then again, 8 does feel like a little too many. I just wish they had a way of guaranteeing an undefeated big conference team some kind of shot. When you win all your games playing in a big conference and you don't get in, it demeans the regular season, IMO. It makes teams feel that they may not necessarily control their own destiny. Especially now that the selection process is 100% subjective, it seems like more of a crime than ever for an undefeated big conference team to be snubbed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Eight would be OK to me . . . but ten would be ideal. Four is not really a "playoff," IMO.

Top four teams would receive a first round bye and home field.

10 Team Single Seeded

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18xoje7t said:
Seahawks1983":18xoje7t said:

I have no problem with it, Baylor's out of conference schedule is an absolute joke. Michigan State really should have one loss if Michigan's punter didn't muff a snap. Iowa's best win is a 10-6 win over Wisconsin. TCU's only "difficult" opponent thus far is a Minnesota team that squeaked by Kent State and Ohio. I suppose Notre Dame has a minor case to be ahead of Alabama, but they too barely got past Virginia and Temple.

Besides, it's early. This will all work itself out. Getting all riled up about Alabama's placement in the poll when they still have LSU, Miss State in Starkvegas and the Iron Bowl is foolish. Not to mention a likely date with Florida in the SECCG should they get through those 3 games.

Sorry, not buying it. When you lose at home to a team that got pounded by Memphis, your SOS arguments lose all weight.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I like it at 4. Keeps the regular season more meaningful. Also puts pressure on athletic directors to schedule better non conference opponents.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1kzxwn9u said:
Hasselbeck":1kzxwn9u said:
Seahawks1983":1kzxwn9u said:

Sorry, not buying it. When you lose at home to a team that got pounded by Memphis, your SOS arguments lose all weight.

And yet if they lose Saturday they need a lot of help.

There are 4 or 5 games left depending on team. Getting all riled up over the first ranking is wasted time. Would you honestly keep a one loss Alabama out of the playoff if they ran the table from here on out?

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":19l8752m said:
Seahawks1983":19l8752m said:
Hasselbeck":19l8752m said:
Seahawks1983":19l8752m said:

And yet if they lose Saturday they need a lot of help.

There are 4 or 5 games left depending on team. Getting all riled up over the first ranking is wasted time. Would you honestly keep a one loss Alabama out of the playoff if they ran the table from here on out?

A loss Bama at the end of the season depends on several factors, first and foremost did they win the SEC?

I agree it is dumb to get riled up at this point, but it is also dumb to give Alabama a mulligan or two because they are Alabama. At this point, it will likely take 3 losses to completely eliminate them from contention, no other team gets that luxury.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":lt3y49nk said:
A loss Bama at the end of the season depends on several factors, first and foremost did they win the SEC?

I agree it is dumb to get riled up at this point, but it is also dumb to give Alabama a mulligan or two because they are Alabama. At this point, it will likely take 3 losses to completely eliminate them from contention, no other team gets that luxury.

Well yes, if Bama finished with 1 loss that means they won the SEC. And barring disaster it would be over Florida who is ahead by 2 games right now in the SECE, and they've already beat UGA, Tennessee and Kentucky.. so they basically have it wrapped.

Only way I can see a 2-loss Bama getting in is if they still made it to the SEC Championship and won it. That will be incredibly hard if they lose Saturday.. as then Ole Miss and LSU would both have the tie-break over them. So I disagree.. I think a 2 loss Bama would be in serious jeopardy of missing the playoff.

Now a 1-loss LSU on the other hand...... well.. that's very much in play. Could be a reverse of the LSU/Bama thing from a few years ago.

The best thing to do at this point is root for Clemson to finish 13-0, Ohio State or Michigan State to finish 13-0, and TCU or Baylor to finish 12-0.. then it would make it very difficult to put 2 SEC teams in.

If FSU wins Saturday and Bama wins Saturday... this thing will turn into an outright mess.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Fun fact, Ohio state was 16th when the original rankings came out last year. So a lot can still change.

Throwdown

Reaction score
For absolutely no reason at all, since I was a teen I've had a soft spot for Clemson and I couldn't tell you why.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rhqozso said:
Seahawks1983":3rhqozso said:

Well yes, if Bama finished with 1 loss that means they won the SEC.

Not necessarily. Alabama cannot win the SEC if Ole Miss manages to win out, even if Bama goes 11-1.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2w14dvw7 said:
Hasselbeck":2w14dvw7 said:
Seahawks1983":2w14dvw7 said:

Not necessarily. Alabama cannot win the SEC if Ole Miss manages to win out, even if Bama goes 11-1.

Ah excellent point.

I don't see Ole Miss winning out.. especially with LSU and a roadie at rival Miss State on their sched to close.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":64kzs34a said:
Seahawks1983":64kzs34a said:
Hasselbeck":64kzs34a said:
Seahawks1983":64kzs34a said:

Ah excellent point.

I don't see Ole Miss winning out.. especially with LSU and a roadie at rival Miss State on their sched to close.

Bit of a double edged sword for Bama there. Makes their loss at home look even worse than it already does. Though as already established, Alabama gets the benefit of a mulligan, so it doesn't really matter.