Husky fan: true or false

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Jake browning is the qb to take the team to the top of the pac12 in the next three years.

I'd like you to look at the question in a vaccuum. Not thinking about how good the rest of the conference might or might not be. Just, is he going to be good enough to make your team elite?

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't see crazy talent, but you just never know with this stuff. Some all-world freshman never really get better, or even regress, and some ordinary freshman just become such smart football players and good leaders that they can lead their team to the promised land despite their LOFT problem. He's smart, competitive, and accurate with his feet set, a little bit like Kellen Moore. That said, assuming pretty good improvement from him, along with Gaskin and that young secondary, the roster is going to be special in two years. Does he get to us to the very top of the mountain? I don't know, but at least he gets us on the same mountain as the top teams in the conference. Unless coaching. :)

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":21gmxeme said:
Jake browning is the qb to take the team to the top of the pac12 in the next three years.

I'd like you to look at the question in a vaccuum. Not thinking about how good the rest of the conference might or might not be. Just, is he going to be good enough to make your team elite?

He will be a good enough to the QB on an elite team, and to be an integral part of that, but he's not the type of player to do it by himself. In the college game, I think you have to be a Mariota/Newton/Vick level freak athlete to do it by yourself.

drrew

Reaction score
It's also worth noting that Kevin Hogan, Darron Thomas, and Jeremiah Masoli have won this conference in recent years, and while they were each very good college QBs, none of them were elite.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":2c1u1pkb said:
It's also worth noting that Kevin Hogan, Darron Thomas, and Jeremiah Masoli have won this conference in recent years, and while they were each very good college QBs, none of them were elite.

Personally this is the level I see browning at. With a solid team around him he'll be capable, but I don't ever see him becoming a star. He's a decent qb but I don't see the "it" factor. Of course, it's still really early in his career and it could go either direction.

I actually see a lot of Keith price in him (the better version of price)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Top of the Pac-12? Guess Husky fans should probably hope Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon fall off a cliff while Rich Rod leaves Arizona (their recruiting classes in 2016 and 2017 are legit), Todd Graham leaves ASU, Whittingham leaves Utah for a school not in the conference, and USC completely butchers their coaching hire.

Washington isn't winning the Pac 12 for a long time. 8-9 wins should be the ultimate goal they are shooting for.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1x6sho6l said:
Top of the Pac-12? Guess Husky fans should probably hope Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon fall off a cliff while Rich Rod leaves Arizona (their recruiting classes in 2016 and 2017 are legit), Todd Graham leaves ASU, Whittingham leaves Utah for a school not in the conference, and USC completely butchers their coaching hire.

Washington isn't winning the Pac 12 for a long time. 8-9 wins should be the ultimate goal they are shooting for.

SC butchering the hire process seems a given, unless they decide to actually hire a real AD. If that happens watch out for Herman to be the man in LA for the next 10 years before leaving for the NFL.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3sp8fxc3 said:

Gotta love SC fans making absurd proclamations.

Outside of Pete Carroll, USC has botched every hire they have made for 30+ years. And they only hired Carroll when their first 3 candidates turned them down, so that was only not botched by accident.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3kiccbne said:
Hasselbeck":3kiccbne said:

Outside of Pete Carroll, USC has botched every hire they have made for 30+ years. And they only hired Carroll when their first 3 candidates turned them down, so that was only not botched by accident.

Gotta love Husky fans glossing over the rest of that post ;)

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ye06llas said:
Seahawks1983":ye06llas said:
Hasselbeck":ye06llas said:

Gotta love Husky fans glossing over the rest of that post ;)

Good thing I am not a Husky fan.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think Browning will be the catalyst for that.

The Huskies need the caliber of athletes across the board to compete physically with the Stanford's and the USCs. We've had Golden Boy QBs, but the results have paled because physically we weren't competitive.

If the Huskies manage to force their way into that equation, it'll be because we're recruiting good talent elsewhere. The results look promising on the defensive end. For years, the defense was just horribly outmatched by good opponents. But even with the youth, this defense is much more stout as a whole. And the athletes just seem better on the hoof than they have in previous years.

For the better part of a decade, it's always seemed like fans would echo the 'we're young and inexperienced' excuse every single year. Only to realize that experience didn't seem to make us any better. But this year we're still young and inexperienced and able to really compete physically with any team in this league.

The program needs to get to equal footing athletically with the powerhouses of the conference. It feels like it's almost there right now. And many of the key elements of that turnaround isn't the result of Sark leftovers. So there is plenty of reason to be optimistic that Washington will be able to compete for new talent in ways they weren't in years past.

chris98251

Reaction score
Unless your already in the upper portion of a conference it takes 3 to 4 years to get your guys on the field from recruiting and have them perform. You have to completely develop a squad of players. Why I think around year 4 and 5 or Petersons regime is when were actually going to see consistency.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3utle632 said:

Utah is a senior laden team that is lucking into a good season, Oregon is already declining (who do they have at QB going forward) ASU sucks, Arizona sucks, USC has and will continue to butcher their coaching hires. UCLA is not that good.
The pac-12 sucks, and with a good group the huskies have as good a chance as anyone

CPHawk

Reaction score
Oregon has Travis Jonsen, who was said by all the elite 11 coaches to have the highest upside of any 2015 QBs. UO is also expected to be getting a commit on Thursday from 5* Qb Ryan Kelley. UO should be fine at QB going forward, but thanks for the concern. For the "young" husky apologist, all of UO top playmakers are SO and FR.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":2ar7ta0g said:
Oregon has Travis Jonsen, who was said by all the elite 11 coaches to have the highest upside of any 2015 QBs. UO is also expected to be getting a commit on Thursday from 5* Qb Ryan Kelley. UO should be fine at QB going forward, but thanks for the concern. For the "young" husky apologist, all of UO top playmakers are SO and FR.

Yep, I think the ducks are right back in the playoff conversation next year. Would be this year, IMO, if Adams hadn't gotten hurt. (Think we would have best both Michigan state and wsu with a healthy Adams).

Rushing attack is going to be absolutely nasty, filthy, dominant next year, especially with a qb who is a threat to keep it on the read option once again.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":8nxjud56 said:
Unless your already in the upper portion of a conference it takes 3 to 4 years to get your guys on the field from recruiting and have them perform. You have to completely develop a squad of players. Why I think around year 4 and 5 or Petersons regime is when were actually going to see consistency.

Yes to this. Coach Pete has had his set up of recruiting for the last 5-6 years in Boise State and they are from all over the country. When he gets the rest of his team set up, I think he will show what he is made of.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If Browning were moderately better, the Huskies might already be at the top of the conference this year. I'm not sure why the coaches are being stubborn with throwing the ball when the running game is working so much better.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think that if they continue to build a talented squad around him, Browning could be the guy that gets them to the top. I like his attitude, he's competitive, but not in a selfish way. I'm not a huge fan of the offensive coordinator, I think that, an inconsistent offensive line, and general youth are holding them back now. However, in 2-3 years, if they keep recruiting, I could definitely see Browning taking them to the top.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
davidonmi":38axi3iw said:
Utah is a senior laden team that is lucking into a good season, Oregon is already declining (who do they have at QB going forward) ASU sucks, Arizona sucks, USC has and will continue to butcher their coaching hires. UCLA is not that good.
The pac-12 sucks, and with a good group the huskies have as good a chance as anyone

If Whittingham stays in Salt Lake, Utah is going to be just fine.

:lol: at Oregon declining. As others have said.. their upcoming recruiting classes are loaded

ASU and Arizona will reload.. again.. if their coaches stay there, they will be fine.

UCLA already has a Top 15 class and will add to that.. not to mention they have the best young QB in the conference. I hate Mora too but lets be real, they're not going away

And again.. you're also banking on USC hiring a bum. Even with a drunken coach they were winning 9 games .. better hope they really miss here because there's not a more talented roster in the conference.

This doesn't even mention Stanford - who again, if Shaw stays in Palo Alto - will continue to be a threat for a playoff bid.

Even Washington State is improving every year and they have a perfect QB for the Leach system.

Washington isn't going to sniff a Pac-12 title for a long time. Again, this isn't 1991 anymore. Look at the talent on the roster a year ago.. you still weren't close to a P12 title. Start aiming lower.. 8/9 wins a year is great for this program. Of course this is the same fan base that was ready to fire Petersen after like 3 games this year. :lol: