2016 draft priorities

xgeoff

Reaction score
Here is where I'd like to see the Seahawks focus their efforts:

1. Offensive line - unfortunately we have virtually no ability to scout OL talent :(
2. linebacker - would like to get someone to replace Bruce Irvin. Am convinced he will be gone unless he drastically drops his salary expectations. I like kevin Pierre-Louis, so I wouldn't worry too much about this position. If a stud is available though, I'd grab him.
3. Running back - only if someone like Derrick Henry or devante booker comes out early. Otherwise wait for 2017
4. Defensive tackle - love Jordan hill but would like some depth at that position
5. Defensive back - would like to groom a new cornerback or nickel back. A clone of Jeremy lane would make me happy

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Looks about right. On the Oline Center, guard, and tackle could all be (should be) a high priority.

With Bruce, you have to remember they'd be losing a two-position athlete. They'd might have to replace both a SAM LB and a DE. I like KPL, too, but the SAM position does not fit him, imo.

gmor

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents:

1. RB. I have a feeling Marshawn will call it after this season and even if he doesn't, running backs his age and running style tend to start getting hurt a lot. Might have a legitimate shot at Henry, hopefully Elliot.
2. WR. We need another PRich type. Doug and Jermaine are too slow. Matthews is ineffective also.
3. OLB. If we keep Irvin then slide this position below to #4.
4. DT. Mebane is a FA. Not convinced the team will meet his demands.
5. OT. Would like to bring someone in to compete with Bailey. Signing Okung is the stated priority. If he goes this position is #1.

massari

Reaction score
If Lynch finishes the season looking like he did last night, they could go with Lynch+Rawls+free agent next season then draft a RB in the loaded 2017 class.

Kind of Hoping Lynch does retire to free up a ton of cap room though he'd be crazy to leave that much money on the table.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Kinda hoping Lynch gets his mojo back so he plays out his deal.

HawkGA

Reaction score
1 Oline
2 Oline
3 Oline
4 Oline
5 Oline
6 Oline

massari

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ml002ajm said:
Kinda hoping Lynch gets his mojo back so he plays out his deal.
He's 30 now. He'll most likely never be at a level again that deserves the money left on his contract.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I'd put Marshawn's 2016 Seahawks future at about 20% right now, attributing that to a combo of his salary next year, his age, his increased soft tissue injuries, and his production. Then you'd have around $11.5m to spend elsewhere, albeit $5m of that is dead cap hit. That's not to say he's done, unless he wants to retire, but he's done making $12m a year, and he'd reject a restructure, so he'd likely be cut, go elsewhere.

Needs are o-line (no more Tom Cable Projects™ or Tom Cable Reaches™), replacements for Lynch and/or Irvin, etc... and drafts have to be better. 2013, 2014 draft classes were not good, 2015 class appears top heavy and not very deep, not a formula for sustained success.

Chawker

Reaction score
Mebane is very close to retirement, so a worthy defensive tackle thats able to start should draw a early to mid round selection. If marshawn does retire this too will have to b adressed early to mid round selection. WR if the rigth player comes along may be a possibility. LB/ pass rusher may not be adressed, I'm thinking we can replace Irvin with JPL or somebody else. OL should be our top priorty, but give PC & JS track record with drafting OL 3rd round wouldbe nice. Then look for a cb late like always.

Don't rule out a big time player trade like a kam Chanchlor SP? possible maybe getting a extra 2rd round selection, opening up a new hole to fill.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I know it's early, but what are we roughly looking at in terms of picks?

Are we missing any from trades? Expected comp picks? I seem to recall people pulling this info from a site before. Anybody have it handy? With expected comp picks too.

massari

Reaction score
HawkGA":w0jkzpem said:
I know it's early, but what are we roughly looking at in terms of picks?

Are we missing any from trades? Expected comp picks? I seem to recall people pulling this info from a site before. Anybody have it handy? With expected comp picks too.

1st
2nd
3rd
3rd(comp for Maxwell)
4th
5th(comp from Carpenter)
6th(comp for Malcom Smith)
7th
7th(from Dal for Michael)

5th+6th rounders were traded for McCray and Seisay.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thank you.

Seems like the Hawks always get fleeced on trades. Way too much for McCray and Seisay. Or as I would currently say, "Who?"

That said, 9 picks will be nice. I honestly feel the Seahawks should go at least 5 Olineman. Just throw some talent in there and let them compete and see how things shake out. That leaves 4 other picks to try to pick some spots for a CB, a DT, maybe an RB, LB or some other general depth position.