WSU Cougars

HawkGA

Reaction score
Is it too late in the season to start mapping out scenarios whereby the WSU Cougars make it into the Playoffs????

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They're already eliminated from playing in the PAC 12 championship. So there is no possible scenario where they even sniff the plAyoffs.

If Stanford loses to cal (their last PAC 12 game) and wsu wins out they tie and Stanford holds the tie breaker.

If Stanford, Oregon and wsu finish in a 3 way tie then oregon is the winner as they will have only lost one north division game while wsu And Stanford would have lost 2.

They are having a good season though!

minormillikin

Reaction score
Yeah, that kick at the end of the Stanford game may end up as a single play keeping WSU from a Pac-12 championship and having a fancy number next to their name. I sure didn't see this coming after the Portland State game!

I've got to really stop and enjoy this, once-every-10-year type of season they're having. I might even need to drag myself up to the Apple Cup this year.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
JSeahawks":26fsjnof said:
They're already eliminated from playing in the PAC 12 championship. So there is no possible scenario where they even sniff the plAyoffs.

Buzz Kill!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
minormillikin":2iijob5c said:
Yeah, that kick at the end of the Stanford game may end up as a single play keeping WSU from a Pac-12 championship and having a fancy number next to their name.......
Yes and no. While indeed if he makes that relatively easy kick the Cougs win, if Falk doesn't throw a VERY ugly pick near the Stanford goal line a few minutes earlier it may never have come down to that FG attempt.

Falk did the same damned thing last night too throwing a pick in the UCLA endzone when the Cougs are in sure FG range to go up 8 and would've still used up more time off the clock. Now he did redeem himself on that last drive which is very encouraging. But, he's going to have to learn how to QB with a lead late in the game. He's only a Soph so I'm hopeful.

Be wary JSeahawks. I got a feeling you think this a one year deal with Wazzu, but I don't believe it is, The defense has improved and Falk, outside of what I mentioned is apparently his one weakness is the real deal. A bit better o-line play and a little more improvement from the D and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the game between the Ducks and Cougs next year be the one that decided who goes to the Pac-12 championship game.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1onaxtnc said:
minormillikin":1onaxtnc said:
Yeah, that kick at the end of the Stanford game may end up as a single play keeping WSU from a Pac-12 championship and having a fancy number next to their name.......

Be wary JSeahawks. I got a feeling you think this a one year deal with Wazzu, but I don't believe it is, The defense has improved and Falk, outside of what I mentioned is apparently his one weakness is the real deal. A bit better o-line play and a little more improvement from the D and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the game between the Ducks and Cougs next year be the one that decided who goes to the Pac-12 championship game.

I'd be fine with that. It's about time we got a challenge from someone in the northwest. Personally, with a new defensive coordinator who doesn't specialize in the 3 man pass rush, I think the ducks are in the national title picture next year, not just the PAC 12. But I also think with our starting qb that Oregon vs wsu game wouldn't have even been close this year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30tx5o1a said:
hawksfansinceday1":30tx5o1a said:
minormillikin":30tx5o1a said:

I'd be fine with that. It's about time we got a challenge from someone in the northwest. Personally, with a new defensive coordinator who doesn't specialize in the 3 man pass rush, I think the ducks are in the national title picture next year, not just the PAC 12.
A lot of that will depend on the quality of QB play your team gets along with a better defensive performance. Impressive win yesterday....very enjoyable game to watch as someone with no investment in the outcome other than always rooting for a Northwest team against one not from our area.

kearly

Reaction score
Their defense has a pulse this year and their offense is actually closing out about half their close games. WSU has had statistical production at QB for a long time, but Falk seems fringe NFL caliber unlike the others. In a very vague sense, I kind of get the same vibes from him that I got from Nick Foles at AZ. I don't think he will lift the program ala Mariota but he'll help them more than the previous QBs did.

Really the big thing for WSU is making 2015's defensive performance the new normal. For years they never had a chance to be good because the defense was so extremely bad.

I'm a UW fan but I've always liked WSU. I also like when WSU is good because the Coug fanbase is kind of the opposite of the Ducks in that they are way more annoying when they are bad and way more gracious when they are good. IMO.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":s1dqbhrr said:
hawksfansinceday1":s1dqbhrr said:
minormillikin":s1dqbhrr said:

I'd be fine with that. It's about time we got a challenge from someone in the northwest. Personally, with a new defensive coordinator who doesn't specialize in the 3 man pass rush, I think the ducks are in the national title picture next year, not just the PAC 12. But I also think with our starting qb that Oregon vs wsu game wouldn't have even been close this year.

LOLOLOLOL

1) You have to start over at QB next year

2) Vernon Adams wouldn't have helped your defense. The Cougs absolutely shredded your weak defense. If anything, you probably would have thrown more resulting in more possession time for WSU.

Delusional.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The game went into overtime with the ducks playing two qbs who wouldn't even start at most division 2 schools. You don't think trading them out for one of the the top rated qbs in the PAC 12 would have changed the outcome?

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2c6sj1oa said:
The game went into overtime with the ducks playing two qbs who wouldn't even start at most division 2 schools. You don't think trading them out for one of the the top rated qbs in the PAC 12 would have changed the outcome?

Nope. Because the Cougs were still scoring on and dicing up your defense, that part wouldn't be different. It wasn't like Oregon failed to run an offense that day. Freeman ran for 400 yards by himself, and you totaled over 600 yards of offense.

Oregon lost. Stop trying to spin it to make yourself feel better.

Also, stop pretending like Lockie wasn't a superstar in camp, now he couldn't start for a D2 school? LOLOLOL

The spectacular Vernon Adams needed 3 OTs and a very generous in bounds call to beat ASU. He isn't Mariota, despite how desperately you want him to be. You also needed 2 absolute gift fumbles from Hogan to beat Stanford, and even then it was barely enough.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":4y0qqgko said:
JSeahawks":4y0qqgko said:

Nope. Because the Cougs were still scoring on and dicing up your defense, that part wouldn't be different. It wasn't like Oregon failed to run an offense that day. Freeman ran for 400 yards by himself, and you totaled over 600 yards of offense.

Also, stop pretending like Lockie wasn't a superstar in camp, now he couldn't start for a D2 school? LOLOLOL

The spectacular Vernon Adams needed 3 OTs and a very generous in bounds call to beat ASU. He isn't Mariota, despite how desperately you want him to be. You also needed 2 absolute gift fumbles from Hogan to beat Stanford, and even then it was barely enough.

Lockie a super star in camp? How could you possibly reach that conclusion? Most duck fans have known he'd never see the field since the day he commited. If you think lockie was ever going to be a good qb there's no point in even having the discussion. I'm not changing your mind, and you're not changing mine anyway.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2m1sm9d9 said:
Seahawks1983":2m1sm9d9 said:
JSeahawks":2m1sm9d9 said:

Lockie a super star in camp? How could you possibly reach that conclusion? Most duck fans have known he'd never see the field since the day he commited. If you think lockie was ever going to be a good qb there's no point in even having the discussion. I'm not changing your mind, and you're not changing mine anyway.

Make outlandish comment, get called on the carpet, post nonsense about a stalemate.

Nice work.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So it's an outlandish statement to believe that an overtime game might have ended up differently if the starting qb was playing rather then a well below average backup? Then I suppose you think the seahawks would have still been in the past two Super Bowls if Stan gelbaugh was our starting qb?

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":jrg1cmt3 said:
So it's an outlandish statement to believe that an overtime game might have ended up differently if the starting qb was playing rather then a well below average backup? Then I suppose you think the seahawks would have still been in the past two Super Bowls if Stan gelbaugh was our starting qb?

You said that with VA you would have blown WSU out. That is, in fact, outlandish. It is nothing more than an absurd, homer opinion.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":wgbws888 said:
JSeahawks":wgbws888 said:

You said that with VA you would have blown WSU out. That is, in fact, outlandish. It is nothing more than an absurd, homer opinion.

Didnt say it would be a blowout, said it wouldn't have been close. I don't think the ducks would have win by 30 (a blowout) but do believe they would have won by 10 to 14 (not close). Not that absurd when you consider they were ahead by 10 with 6 minutes left as it was.

I'm not trying to disparage wsu, as I've already said in this thread I'm glad to see them doing well. But to pretend like Adams (and no, I don't think he's anywhere near as good as mariotA) wouldn't have made a difference is just silly.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":337bguyc said:
Seahawks1983":337bguyc said:
JSeahawks":337bguyc said:

Didnt say it would be a blowout, said it wouldn't have been close. I don't think the ducks would have win by 30 (a blowout) but do believe they would have won by 10 to 14 (not close). Not that absurd when you consider they were ahead by 10 with 6 minutes left as it was.

I'm not trying to disparage wsu, as I've already said in this thread I'm glad to see them doing well. But to pretend like Adams (and no, I don't think he's anywhere near as good as mariotA) wouldn't have made a difference is just silly.

Dismissing WSU as a legit team because you are attempting to cope with a loss is more silly. WSU has proven over the course of the season that they are just as good as Oregon, with or without Adams.

Also, if you are going to play this little game, you don't just get to insert Adams into the game and assume it all plays out the same, until it goes in your favor at the end.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A. I'm not trying to dismiss wsu, they're a good team.

B. I was over the loss 5 minutes after it happened, I'm not trying to cope with anything.

C. If you can't admit that tge starting qb makes a difference I just don't know what to tell you.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2dyuxnsg said:
A. I'm not trying to dismiss wsu, they're a good team.

B. I was over the loss 5 minutes after it happened, I'm not trying to cope with anything.

C. If you can't admit that tge starting qb makes a difference I just don't know what to tell you.

Saying "it wouldn't be close" is about as dismissive as it gets.