NCAA Coaching Carousel

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As the college season winds down, the coaching changes should start to really ramp up.. especially this year with some big time jobs available .. here are the ones that are for sure open, with LSU, Georgia and Texas all possibly in the mix for a new coach.

The Top Gigs
USC - hired interim HC Clay Helton 11/30
Georgia - hired Alabama DC Kirby Smart 12/2
Virginia Tech - hired Memphis HC Justin Fuente 11/28
Miami - hired former Georgia HC Mark Richt 12/2
South Carolina - hired Auburn DC Will Muschamp 12/6
Virginia - hired BYU HC Bronco Mendenhall 12/4

The others..
Bowling Green - hired Texas Tech RB coach Mike Jenks, 12/9
BYU - open as of 12/4
East Carolina - hired Duke OC Scottie Montgomery, 12/14
Georgia Southern - open as of 12/11
Hawaii - hired Nevada OC Nick Rolovich 11/27
Illinois - hired interim HC Bill Cubit 12/1
Iowa State - hired Toledo HC Matt Campbell, 11/28
Maryland - hired Michigan DC D.J. Durkin, 12/2
Memphis - hired Arizona State OC Mike Norvell 12/3
Missouri - promoted DC Larry Odom to HC 12/3
Minnesota - hired interim HC Tracy Claeys, 11/30
North Texas - hired North Carolina OC Seth Littrell, 12/5
Rutgers - hired Ohio State DC Chris Ash, 12/5
Syracuse - hired Bowling Green HC Dino Babers, 12/5
Toledo - promoted OC Jason Candle to HC, 12/2
Tulane - hired Georgia Southern HC Willie Fritz, 12/11
Univ. of Central Florida - Hired Oregon OC Scott Frost 12/1
UL-Monroe - Hired McNeese State HC Matt Viator, 12/14

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well, we know USC will hire some goofball with a big name, ill say Lou holtz or lee corso. Will be interesting to see what the rest do.

I'm guessing oregon offensive coordinator Scott frost ends up in one of those jobs.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I still find it hard to believe LSU is chasing Les Miles out.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Honestly I'd like to see Kelly go to an SEC school, be interesting to see what he could do with the caliber of players that conference gets.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3huozo9e said:
Chip Kelly to USC?

He was their top choice when they fired Kiffin, but Kelly wasn't about to ditch the NFL that fast. Times have certainly changed for Chipper though..

I will say my guy at USC said Chip is their preference.. so much so he said their short list was Chip, Chip and Chip. But will be interesting to see if Kelly wants to come back to the Pac 12 or MAYBE try his luck at a Maryland (east coast and now has Under Armour money, kind of a similar thing to what Oregon was emerging as when Chip took over there). I highly doubt he goes to LSU because the things Chip really hates - sucking up to boosters, recruiting heavily, etc .. you have to do all of that in the SEC. It's much easier to recruit to a USC than it would be in the cutthroat SEC.

There is chatter that Haden's health has slowed down the search as well, he can't travel.. so they are speculating that he will be going off of a list of guys he vetted in the last search (one of the perks of firing a guy after a year and a half I guess) .. and Chip Kelly would be the most viable name on that list (Sumlin and Petersen aren't going anywhere, and highly doubt they want James Franklin) unless they just hire Clay Helton.

So we'll see what happens. I THINK they will get it right this time.. but with Pat Haden you never really know. :34853_doh:

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jkitsune":1lnwa6ks said:

Me too. The ONLY way it kind of makes sense is if they land Jimbo Fisher.. otherwise.. blows my mind. There are differing reports that Jimbo is already getting cold feet and is leaning towards staying at FSU .. so if LSU shoves Les out and doesn't get Fisher .. that could turn into a Brady Hoke type disaster for them.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29vqr8gv said:
jkitsune":29vqr8gv said:

Me too. The ONLY way it kind of makes sense is if they land Jimbo Fisher.. otherwise.. blows my mind. There are differing reports that Jimbo is already getting cold feet and is leaning towards staying at FSU .. so if LSU shoves Les out and doesn't get Fisher .. that could turn into a Brady Hoke type disaster for them.

IMHO, it's just the classic 'we deserve to win every year' mentality. Same as when Yankees fans were upset they 'only' won one or two World Series in a given decade.

Les Miles is a great coach, and doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting. Winning a BCS championship and playing for another within a 7-year(I think?) span is impressive, it does not matter what program you're talking about.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Maryland to hire Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Dino Babers taking the job at Central Florida per reports, however Babers says the rumors are false. Bowling Green does have a spot in the MAC title game so would understand why he wouldn't want this to leak out just yet

CPHawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1e8ao0qp said:
Chip Kelly to USC?

The Trojans won't ever hire a top shelf coach, unless it's by accident like Pete. Helton stays.

CPHawk

Reaction score
FootballScoop Staff @FootballScoop
Source tells FootballScoop USC officials met w Chip in Philly (believe it was Friday). Chip likes the league life http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop
7:56 AM - 30 Nov 2015

Just like I said from the beginning, but some SC fan kept arguing.